BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 10:51:51 PM EDT
Heh
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
why not both

personally I would go with 45 mainly cause my Thompson and G21 are chambered in 45 ACP, gotta love common calibers
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
What's your purpose?

Of the 3, I vote 9mm.  Cheapest & most quiet to play with.

Lee of LRM offers one of each, 9mm, .40 or .45.  Plus, they're suppressed.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm planning to switch from 9mm to .357sig for my pistol
that is actually the pistol caliber upper I'd like to get
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The BEST? Hmmm. I don't know about BEST, but I say .45 ACP.

I jsut like the .45 ACP cartridge, besides there are a lot of dedicated 9mm carbines and subguns out there, why convert a 5.56mm rifle to that caliber when you can just buy a MP5 clone or something like it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for 9mm

or supressed .22 in the top of the pic.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I am inclined to believe its the 9mm Colt system. I'll buy another one when I can get an SBR.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
9mm, cheap ammo and 9 isnt a bad round when moving at carbine bbl speeds and not 4inch pistol bbl speed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Whats the best pistol caliber for an AR-15.........9mm? or .45?

While I'm a big 45acp fan.....An AR that accepts 30rd Glock mags in .40S&W sounds real good to me.  

From the catalog:

Pistol caliber rifles available with Glock style lower receivers. The lowers accept full size or larger Glock magazines, including the high-capacity 30 round mags. Configure your upper receiver with two caliber options and two barrel types. The receivers are made by Olympic Arms in the Glock© style.

Glock MAG, 40 S&W AR

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
An AR that accepts 30rd Glock mags in .40S&W sounds real good to me.

Cool, I wonder if they will make it with Glock .357sig mags too
(maybe I should just start out with a 9mm Glock..........)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
10mm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Gee, do those KaBoom too?

BTW:  I have three glocks, including a .40, which I shoot regularly, and if anyone of them KaBooms, I'll eat any fingers not still attached.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
10mm.

Hell's yeah!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
10mm.

Before the .357sig started catching on I was looking at the 10mm
seemed like Glock made the only one that was reliable(long term)
but, after the .40 became popular I never saw much 10mm ammo

Maybe I am just not looking in the right places for ammo
I have a hard time finding the Remington 124gr 9mm I use
(I used to get ALL my pistol ammo from KMart, cheap)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I would like to have one in 10mm but i havent seen any

out of your chooses i would good with 9mm because its cheaper but still a good round
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

out of your chooses i would good with 9mm because its cheaper but still a good round

Olympic makes a 10mm and Cav Arms is working on receivers and Hahn mag blocks to us grease gun mags. 35 rounds of 10mm, but with an AK type release and no bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Olympic makes a 10mm and Cav Arms is working on receivers and Hahn mag blocks to us grease gun mags. 35 rounds of 10mm, but with an AK type release and no bolt hold open.

thanks i will have to check that out
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:35:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:38:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I love my 9mm. Goes to the range now almost every trip. But If I had my fantasy cal., it would be 10MM.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Gee, do those KaBoom too?

BTW:  I have three glocks, including a .40, which I shoot regularly, and if anyone of them KaBooms, I'll eat any fingers not still attached.

Dinner Pic?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#21]
50 AE  

I would say 458 SOCOM, but I don't consider it a pistol caliber.  

SBG
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
10mm.

I was one of the first owners of the P229 in 357SIG (the original offering in that caliber) and one of the early reloaders.  Since 1994, I've been reloading this cartridge and cursing myself.  As soon as I complete the incineration of this last batch, I'm through.  I've already replaced my factory 357SIG barrel with the .40SW BarSto barrel I bought eight years ago and I'm not going back.

If the case had a decent neck to support the bullet, I would reconsider.  As it is, 9mm or better yet, .40SW, would be my choice for a pistol-caliber AR.  If I had a 10mm, I would prefer that over all others.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless you're going to suppress it, I'd just as soon have a 5.56 upper, as long as wolf ammo is $110/1000.

I had an Oly 9mm, and it ran perfectly - but there were no real ammo savings over 5.56. And with a 9mm system, you're doomed to dealing with some combination of no bolt-hold-open, expensive magazines, and awkward mag blocks.

If you can suppress it, I'd go w/ the 9mm (again, for ammo costs)

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I had an Oly 9mm, and it ran perfectly - but there were no real ammo savings over 5.56. And with a 9mm system, you're doomed to dealing with some combination of no bolt-hold-open, expensive magazines, and awkward mag blocks.

I guess they changed it
www.olyarms.com/?page=m1_glock_lowers#
Pistol Caliber Rifles With Glock© Lower Receivers
Introducing Olympic Arms pistol caliber rifles available with Glock© style lower receivers. The lowers accept full size or larger Glock© magazines, including the high-capacity 30 round mags. Configure your upper receiver with two caliber options and two barrel types. The receivers are made by Olympic Arms in the Glock© style.

Using a straight blow-back system, the bolt will lock back after the last round is fired. With our conical shaped bolt and chambering this rifle has been proved reliable. Choose a caliber option of either 9mm or 40 S&W. Then choose the barrel type of either 11.5” with a permanently attached 5.5” flash suppressor or a straight 16” barrel. The lower receiver utilizes a standard magazine release button to release the Glock© magazine. Please specify caliber and barrel version when ordering.

Note: These rifles use unmodified Glock magazines.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess they changed it
Introducing Olympic Arms pistol caliber rifles available with Glock© style lower receivers. The lowers accept full size or larger Glock© magazines, including the high-capacity 30 round mags. Configure your upper receiver with two caliber options and two barrel types. The receivers are made by Olympic Arms in the Glock© style.

Using a straight blow-back system, the bolt will lock back after the last round is fired. With our conical shaped bolt and chambering this rifle has been proved reliable. Choose a caliber option of either 9mm or 40 S&W. Then choose the barrel type of either 11.5” with a permanently attached 5.5” flash suppressor or a straight 16” barrel. The lower receiver utilizes a standard magazine release button to release the Glock© magazine. Please specify caliber and barrel version when ordering.

But those require a special lower that can't be used with other uppers, right?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
10mm.

I was one of the first owners of the P229 in 357SIG (the original offering in that caliber) and one of the early reloaders.  Since 1994, I've been reloading this cartridge and cursing myself.  As soon as I complete the incineration of this last batch, I'm through.  I've already replaced my factory 357SIG barrel with the .40SW BarSto barrel I bought eight years ago and I'm not going back.

If the case had a decent neck to support the bullet, I would reconsider.  As it is, 9mm or better yet, .40SW, would be my choice for a pistol-caliber AR.  If I had a 10mm, I would prefer that over all others.

Are RELOADING issues the only problem you have with the caliber?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess they changed it

Yup, looks like a dedicated pistol lower, upper choice between two calibers with 16" or sbr
with any luck they will have a .22lr conversion kit for it......looks like a GREAT companion rifle for a Glock
What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess they changed it

Yup, looks like a dedicated pistol lower, upper choice between two calibers with 16" or sbr
with any luck they will have a .22lr conversion kit for it......looks like a GREAT companion rifle for a Glock
What do you think?

I'd pass.

partly because I'm not a glock fan.

Partly because, as mentioned, you're stuck with a dedicated lower that is almost as expensive to feed as a cheap upper devoted to wolf ammo would be - maybe more.

UNLESS you can supress it.

And FWIW, my first supressor will be on a bolt gun, if I ever go that route.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd choose the .45...I like bigger holes.

HH
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
10mm.

MOSTLY reloading.  The available neck will only accept very flat-sided and blunt bullets (I use NBC 125gr FMJ).  As such, you have to work the brass significantly to get them to grip and this causes shoulder deformation and subsequent chambering issues.  With factory ammo, there is still a small issue with bullet setback during chambering.

The bottlenose cartridge really works for reliable feeding and extraction.  If they'd left a bit more neck, I would still be reloading and shooting 357SIG.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not a big Glock fan either(external safety) but I am going to get one and see how I like it
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'd choose the .45...I like bigger holes.

HH

If I was licensed for a suppressor, I would definitely get .45
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Why not just buy a Beretta Storm?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MOSTLY reloading.  The available neck will only accept very flat-sided and blunt bullets (I use NBC 125gr FMJ).  As such, you have to work the brass significantly to get them to grip and this causes shoulder deformation and subsequent chambering issues.  With factory ammo, there is still a small issue with bullet setback during chambering.

The bottlenose cartridge really works for reliable feeding and extraction.  If they'd left a bit more neck, I would still be reloading and shooting 357SIG.

Have you had any failure to feed\fire due to setback?
(especially with factory ammo)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yup, that would have been a GREAT companion piece for my Berettas...........
Unfortunately, I didn't like it from the first second I saw it, I was VERY disappointed
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you had any failure to feed\fire due to setback?
(especially with factory ammo)

I've had two KaBOOMs with 357SIG.
1.  The first was with early production Federal classic (124gr JHP) ammo.  This one blew off the original plastic grips and the extractor (it doesn't pin it, it's just held in with a spring.  SIG replaced the entire pistol even though there was no slide deformation.  In the P229s defense, you can put 1/4 stick of dynamite in the slide with no ill effects.
2.  The second involved my reloads.  I stupidly used 124gr FMJ designed for 9mm and there was absolutely no grip.  I should have checked the loads with repeated testing, as I did with the Federal ammo.  All I had to do was buy a new extractor and slip it in.  No big deal but a big lesson.  After that, I switched to NBC 125gr FMJ that was designed for 357SIG.

Even with dedicated bullets, I still get setback.  When I turn the crimp die down enough to really grab the bullet, the shoulder pushed down and bulges out.  This is what causes the failures to feed (and fire).

Factory ammo has greatly improved, but reloading still sucks and will always continue to suck with that particular cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#37]
So the factory ammo should be okay

I WAS expecting to be able to use the same molds\bullets for 9mm 124gr and .357sig 124gr, thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, I didn't like it from the first second I saw it, I was VERY disappointed

I have one and I am very impressed with it, having gone through several pistol-caliber carbines.  Great features, ergonomics, easy takedown, runs clean, light, short, comfortable, good sights.

But I think you and I had an Internet disagreement about this before, so I will desist.

So what's the best caliber for a AR?  9mm or .45ACP?    
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one and I am very impressed with it, having gone through several pistol-caliber carbines.  Great features, ergonomics, easy takedown, runs clean, light, short, comfortable, good sights.

But I think you and I had an Internet disagreement about this before, so I will desist.

So what's the best caliber for a AR?  9mm or .45ACP?    

Nope, we never had a disagreement............I did make a post in your peanut butter thread, heh

I REALLY didn't like the stock on the Storm, and it didn't look like aftermarket stocks would ever be available
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What's your purpose?

Of the 3, I vote 9mm.  Cheapest & most quiet to play with.

Lee of LRM offers one of each, 9mm, .40 or .45.  Plus, they're suppressed.  

www.lrmfirearms.com/images/512_midrailm1692.jpg

I spoke to Lee while I was in Tallahassee about a year ago.  He says he prefers not to work with .45 uppers because they are prone to problems.  He didn't really go into the specifics of said problems, but he recommended 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#41]
This looks the perfect companion carbine\rifle to go with my retired Berettas
www.kel-tec.com/prod03.htm
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
tag for the 10mm

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#43]
9MM        I use my 9MM OLY as a range gun. It is reliable and cheap to shoot so far I've got 10K through mine. My ammo costs are reasonable and I don't have any issues at the indoor range. I have looked at other pistol calibers and decided not to bother. If I want more power then the 5.56 comes out!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey SJSAMPLE, what dies did you use with reloading the 357 Sig. I noticed that Lee has a new factory crimp die for the 357 Sig. Don't know if it's any good on this particular cartridge, but I know their factory crimps work awesome on other calibers/cartridges.

Since Lee factory crimp dies (at leat all the ones I've used) do not depend on the case/neck wall vertical compression strength in getting a good crimp,  I would think that  this would solve the case deformation issues. Again though, this is from past usage and I've never tried this die with 357 Sig. It's listed as "new" on their web page, but since I haven't been there for a while, I dont know how new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top