Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 12:58:55 PM EDT
     Yeah so today one of my friends picked up my Kershaw speed safe and decides to open it. But the kid cant figure out how to close it. Annoyed I walk over and try and close it real quick with one hand. Unfortunately in this procces the blade clips off the end of my ring finger. (really sharp knife)

So I take myself over to the campus wellness center and they patch it up. The peice was not to big 6 by 8mm of live skin. and there was no raw/red flesh on the piece that came off. It bled like crasy. The wierdest part was cleaning it off and not being able to have any feeling from the tip of my finger. The nurses debated wiether or not to patch it with the skin but decided against it because of the risk of infection. I cuncured I guess. Talked to my dad who is a Doc and told me it should heal ok.

Has anyone here ever done the same? Did you loose any feeling in the finger? Just kinda curious to what the arfcom hive mind has to say.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, pinky tip got cut off by a frige.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've cut my index finger to the bone at about the first knuckle.  Lost all feeling in the finger from the cut out for about 2 weeks. Took a little getting used to.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, index finger, left hand, off just behind the back of the nail, only the pad of teh finger tip was hilding ti attached, bone was snapped off just above the joint, doc put it all back togatehr for em and I still have it, hell I better, it is my trigger finger.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Index finger, left hand.  Got it stuck in a cable car pulley while crossing a canyon over a river in Mexico.  I was pulling the metal car with two passengers hand over hand at a fairly quick pace when I managed to get three fingers in the pulley and the whole thing literally slammed to a stop.   Index finger is about half as long from the knuckle as the same finger on the other hand.  You do NOT want to get treated in a Mexican public hospital.

Anyhow, the nail ended up growing back which no one expected but the finger is still pointy.  It has normal feeling but if you touch the tip of my finger on a hard surface it hurts pretty good.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
nope can't say that i have
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Anybody here ever cut the tip of your finger off?

No, nobody here has ever cut my finger off. I haven't done it to myself either.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad did on the table saw. He took off the tip to the bone, it took about 6weeks to grow back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I sliced most of the skin off the end of one finger when I was a kid.  Basically everything past the end of the fingernail was hanging on with by a tiny flap of skin at the bottom.... cleaned it up well, taped/butterflied it together and waited for it to heal.  Just as in your case, it bled like crazy... also hurt like a m*&#@*%+%@$!.  Fingertips have extrememly high nerve density.

Took a while but got normal sensation back.  YMMV.

ETA:  A few months ago I also got an animal bite clean through the fingernail and side of my index finger... with good care it's healed up fine also.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Friend of mine was backing out of garage, he had his door open and hand on the edge of the door holding it open and he was looking over his shoulder backing out, guess what happened... he hit a shelf with the door and his finger. He lost the end bone on his pinkie finger,it was  just hanging off by skin, yeowww!!Glad it was not mine, we call him stubby.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Dad accidentily hit the go-button on his handheld planer while picking it up, took a patch of skin off his left index finger about 1cm by 1cm, he's ok now from what I can tell, no major damage.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
rusty hoe

I guess you could say it was a mean ho!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, tip of pointer finger, right hand. Plenty of nerve endings there.  I'd shoot myself rather than go through that again. Makes my skin crawl to think about it.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#14]
yep. bout the same size as you lost. I put it back on , then went to the hospital. they just put a compression bandage on it and it seems ok now. I have feeling and all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
     Yeah so today one of my friends picked up my Kershaw speed safe and decides to open it. But the kid cant figure out how to close it. Annoyed I walk over and try and close it real quick with one hand. Unfortunately in this procces the blade clips off the end of my ring finger. (really sharp knife)

So I take myself over to the campus wellness center and they patch it up. The peice was not to big 6 by 8mm of live skin. and there was no raw/red flesh on the piece that came off. It bled like crasy. The wierdest part was cleaning it off and not being able to have any feeling from the tip of my finger. The nurses debated wiether or not to patch it with the skin but decided against it because of the risk of infection. I cuncured I guess. Talked to my dad who is a Doc and told me it should heal ok.

Has anyone here ever done the same? Did you loose any feeling in the finger? Just kinda curious to what the arfcom hive mind has to say.

I see your major is creative writing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
yep, with a 28oz eastwing waffle head framing hammer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#17]
cut off  or almost cut off a small flap on my finger and it was held on by just the skin, like I said it was a small cut, about the diameter of a .22LR.  During high school I worked at a grocery store and had to cut open box after box of canned food for stocking and carried a box cutter and spare blades in my back pocket.  Well time to change the blade and I reached in my back pocket and sliced the tip of my finger off. Only took 1 stitch to put it back on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my right trigger finger caught in the gears of an AM Multilith 1250 printing machine.     Yanked all the tissue and meat off with the nail.   Just the bone was sticking out.   That was in '92.  Yes it hurts like hell.   It grew back like the doctor said it would but it's   pretty much numb.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
My doctor made his finger disappear in my keester, yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Cut the tip of my thumb off when I was a kid working at a Christmas tree farm.  I wasn't paying attention and took off the tip except for a little flap of skin.  It bled all over, but the guy running the tree farm-I guess I was maybe 12-just put some iodine on it, flipped the skin back where it was supposed to be, put a bandage on it and sent me back to work.  Healed up fine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im sorry but after that little ordeal my brain wasnt as calm as it normally is writing novels.(/sarcasm off)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Not me personally, but one time my then-roommate's girlfriend sliced the tip of her pinky off. She had one of those RonCo slicers where you slide the object across the platform/blade and slice it to slivers. Well, she decided she didn't need to use the guard and while she was slicing and dicing and making thousands of shoestring french fries she Julienned the tip of her pinky off. Blood everywhere. Nasty. I didn't eat any of those damn fries.

This was the same girl that managed to step barefoot on an old circuit board and drive most of the pins of a couple of ICs into her heel.

She wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, but she had big boobies and could screw like a minx, from what I hear. Probably why she was around so long. Bitch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Lost almost a quarter inch off the tip of a toe with a laser straight cut 30+ years ago
it still grows a thick callous, but the nerves under the callous are just fine today
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I got the tip of my pinky cut/ground off in a mototrcycle wreck, the sewed it back on. The nail just grew back kinda funky.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#25]
At age 7 my brother slammed a steel door on his finger and cut it off at the first joint. They sewed it back on, but he has no feeling in that part anymore.

My dad cut off three fingers diagonally with a circular saw. Same as above, they got sewed back on and he could use them but not feel them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I was cutting weeds with a machette and accidentally whacked the end of my thumb, the blade cut the top of my thumbnail off with some skin, I was lucky my nail deflected the blade and caused it not to cut off the tip of my thumb
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Why stop at the tip?

Cut the whole thing off!

Take a circular saw blade.  Attach it to a vacuum cleaner motor.  Cut things in your driveway until you knock it over and it runs over your hand.

still feels funny

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#28]
cut the corner of my thumb off a couple weeks ago, on Labor Day in fact.

I was cutting tree limbs with a bow saw, fistful of little twigs, ripped sooner than I thought ti would, and took my left thumb wiht it.

Tied it up, couldn't get the thing to stop bleeding so about 3 hours later went to the hospital and got it sewn back on.

It healed fine, but I do have some gnarly scars on my left thumb now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My doctor made his finger disappear in my keester, yesterday.hinking.gif

That is too fucking funny!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Yup,  cut a chunk out of the end of my right thumb tip back in 1995.  Playing with a pnumatic spring rebound ceramic razor blade assembly at work and it slipped/  Took a chunk about 1 centimeter diameter by about 3 milimeters thick mostly off.   The edge of my thumbnail stopped it from going all the way.

Bandaged it, and then superglued it shut when I got home from work that night after cleaning it with alcohol.  I still can't feel a good chunk of that part of my thumb.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
     Yeah so today one of my friends picked up my Kershaw speed safe and decides to open it. But the kid cant figure out how to close it. Annoyed I walk over and try and close it real quick with one hand. Unfortunately in this procces the blade clips off the end of my ring finger. (really sharp knife)[B

Im sorry but after that little ordeal my brain wasnt as calm as it normally is writing novels.(/sarcasm off)

Is that an excuse or an explanation?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Used to practice quite a lot with a butterfly knife.  Got pretty damn good with it ( I thought ).

A freind handed me his brand new knife right out of the box and asked me to show him how to do that one handed flip open and close routine.  Being a beer fueled master of the blade, ......I did.  From closed to open to closed in just a hair over a second.   But..... new knives open slower than ones that have been broken in a bit.  That delay allowed me to begin closing my hand before the blade had past by.  I took the very tip of all four fingers cleanly off.   Never felt a thing.  Not any real damage.   Just deep enough to bleed and gross everybody out.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, hurt like a bitch too.  While slicing onions a deli slicer I damn near sliced the tip of my middle finger on my right hand clean off.  The finger tip didn't come all the way off but it was hanging by less than an 1/8th of an inch of flesh/skin.

I didn't seek medical attention because I didn't have any insurance at the time and it was a family business.  They hadn't (so far as I know) invented finger tip bandaids at the time so I just did the best I could to bandage it up after the bleeding stopped.

It eventually healed and now there isn't even a scar.   This was many, many (20+) years ago.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Me know,  few years back my dad's partner at work was bow hunting,  don't ask me how he did it but he explains it like this. "I had my bow drawn and the buck walks behind a bush fucking up my shot.  Hands are getting tired waiting but I didn't wanna let it go back. Stretched my fingers a few times and as I had the fingers on my left hand out I guess my right hand got tired and hit the release."  Broadhead took off the first sections of his middle and index fingers.  Or he may have done it fucking around with a saw and is trying to make a cool story to cover it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Did the same as many others have. Remember the old "Ginsui' commercials........Cut the top 1/4 inch off my index faster than it went thru that tomatoe......

Its incredible how well the human rejuvinates
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#36]
My sister did, twice... once cutting pipe cleaners with scisors after I told her not to because it'd ruin the scisors.  Basically, as the pipe cleaner is cut, all the force snaps the scisors really fast... and she took off the tip of her finger.  I came home and there was a blood train all the way upstairs when my dad took her to the doctor.  Still have the scisors probably 10-12 years later, and they've still got chips in them and they don't cut smoothly.

She cut her finger off while chopping salad at work.  That place had the best salads ever, and I got them for deep discount for picking her up from work.  Then, she was out for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
     Yeah so today one of my friends picked up my Kershaw speed safe and decides to open it. But the kid cant figure out how to close it. Annoyed I walk over and try and close it real quick with one hand. Unfortunately in this procces the blade clips off the end of my ring finger. (really sharp knife)[B

Is that an excuse or an explanation?

Take your pick, im not an english major but im pretty shure the deffinition is similar. This usually isnt my style but please stop crapping all over my thread, im not in the mood.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#38]
yep.  Bird finger on the right hand.  At age 5 I got it in the hinge of a Hi-Fi (telling my age now) and made it close.  The lid slammed down and I lost about 1/8 of bone.  Folks said I bawlled for an hour and bled on everything.

I bet that hurt.  I don't remember.

I thought about getting a handicap parking permit.  Not for long.  But I have thought about it.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#39]
yep, done that a few times.  Grew back pretty well except the last time.  It's sort of knumb now. Like my head
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I cut the tip off my middle finger on my right hand and the tip off my index finger on my left hand.  I guess I shouldn't be allowed to play with sharp objects.   BTW now there is a blank spot in the finger print on both fingers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#41]
about 8 months ago
cordless skill saw (I guess I was not so skillfull this day and damn lucky it was an 18v cordless)
left hand...middle finger
you'd never be able to tell today
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, this one time I was shooting an M1 Garand and...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#43]
You don't know pain until you get into a little bone. Crushing cuts are fun.  Put your finger on a chain and sprocket being run by a 5HP engine.  Nobody is sewing that mess back on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top