Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 5:56:32 AM EDT
www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1127355596913

Cool Gadget!

ODF to sell 'Eye Ball' to US Army
By YIGAL GRAYEFF

Tel Aviv-based defense equipment company ODF Optronics has signed an agreement to allow Remington Arms to exclusively sell its Eye Ball R1 product to the US Army in a deal worth at least $10 million over the next year.

The Eye Ball consists of a camera installed into a wireless spherical device that soldiers can throw, roll or drop into enemy positions, providing them with the visible intelligence they need before they attack.

Once deployed, the Eye Ball, which is about the size of a cricket ball, transmits live pictures and sound to a Personal Display Unit up to 200 meters away, and its near-infrared capability allows it to be used in day and night operations.

With the company due to make a net profit for the first time in its four-year history this year, ODF is considering a listing on Nasdaq and will make a decision at the end of the year, chief executive Ehud Gal said in a telephone interview Wednesday.

The company, which is part of the Wave Group, has about 30 employees and in 2004 it broke even on revenue of $5m., a figure that Gal expects to rise to $6m.-$10m. in 2005.

The deal with Remington is for 10 years and will bring in "tens of millions of dollars," Gal predicted. It builds on a year-old deal between the companies under which Remington has been selling the Eye Ball to US law enforcement agencies, he added. Remington will also have exclusive distribution rights for an urban-warfare product that ODF plans to launch next year.

In addition to US security forces, the IDF and French and Singapore armies have bought the Eye Ball. Gal said demand is high, although he declined to provide details. It has been in development for three years but ODF has only been selling it for three months.

The device can be fitted with camouflage casings and is designed to absorb a few hundred Gs, and it has even survived the explosion of a stun grenade. One kit – which includes two Eye Balls, a training ball and a maintenance and accessories kit – costs approximately $6,000.

Gal said the agreement with Remington allowed ODF to concentrate on the development of its products rather than worrying about marketing and distribution.

"It's easier for Americans to buy from Americans," Gal added.

ETA: Changed title to be politically correct because some folks seem to gravitate towards anti-semitism.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#1]
wouldnt they be Israelis?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Well... chances are they are BOTH!!

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
reading the title , it coulda been a couple guys from Brooklyn.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#4]
That's just plain COOL.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it is too funny that we give them billions of dollars and lots of free stuff, but when we want something we have to pay for it.

"Put it on our tab, Israel."
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think it is too funny that we give them billions of dollars and lots of free stuff, but when we want something we have to pay for it.

isnt it a private company?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, it is a private company.   I guess they should have to give away there products because their govenment gets assistance from us.  I wish the Saudi companys would give us free oil!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, it is a private company.   I guess they should have to give away there products because their govenment gets assistance from us.  I wish the Saudi companys would give us free oil!

Yeah but it would be nice of them to pick up the tab for that company, seeing as if it were not for the US, Israel would more than likely not exist anymore.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Uncle is buying hardware from JEWS??!!!

What's next?

Buying linen from the IRISH??

whoda ever guessed?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#10]
One more reason to have a shotgun handy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAven't you read the title? It's a company named "JEWS" from Israel....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent!

And just because you're ignorant, it doesn't mean that we don't benefit greatly from Israeli technology.  In fact, there's a very high probability that the database that drives this web site is Israeli technology.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See, this is how it works.  US taxpayers pay for US companies to give crap to Israel (F-15s, F-16s, M4s, etc.).  How about Israeli taxpayers paying for Israeli companies to give eyeballs to the US?  

US taxpayers are not giving free crap to Saudi Arabia.  We give them money, we get oil in exchange.  In exhcnage for the crap we give Israel we get ... well ... nothing.

-green
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See, this is how it works.  US taxpayers pay for US companies to give crap to Israel (F-15s, F-16s, M4s, etc.).  How about Israeli taxpayers paying for Israeli companies to give eyeballs to the US?  

US taxpayers are not giving free crap to Saudi Arabia.  We give them money, we get oil in exchange.  In exhcnage for the crap we give Israel we get ... well ... nothing.

-green

No no GG, anything other than blind suport and loyalty will get you branded as an antisemite, or even unamerican around here. I am glad Isreal is as powerfull as it is and an ally, but I feel its all because of us.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

-green

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-green

cipher.addf.net/forums/html/emoticons/jackoff.gif

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#19]
This seems like it could be adapted to fire from an M203 for situations where you want to see inside a building, behind a wall, in a trench, etc...

If it can stand a grenade explsoion and 100 G's,  perhaps it could be adapted into a projectile.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for getting us back on track, Leisure_Shoot!  It's very easy to hit 100 G's.  I would think that even at that rating, it would have to be thrown fairly gently.  But that's a neat idea.  A small surveillance device that can be delivered ballistically would be awesome!

Until it's used on me, of course.  

Here's a picture and some interesting info:  Defense Review
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I see a few who really do not understand how this all works or are so stupid that when someone does explain it too them, they just don't understand.  I shall try to be brief and avoid big words in the following explanation.

First, Israel existed in its modern form from 1948 to 1973 without any US aid.  They did this by buying French and russian weapons and by soundly kicking the collective asses of the arab world on numerous occaisions.  In 1973 we decided we would like to be their friend.  For our efforts, the arabs cut off our oil supply.  In return, we became a better friend to the arabs and stopped the Israelis from wiping them out completely.  As a result, the arabs decided we could have oil again.  Did I mention that we not only like, but actually need that oil.  Now, the Israelis were forced to take on the burden of a bunch of displaced arabs that none of the other arab countries wanted.  In fact the other arab countries didn't want them so much, that we convinced Israel to find a place for them on some of that land that they had captured from arab countries.  Problem is, that they kept trying to kill Israeli women and children by bombing busses, shopping malls, daycare centers, hotels and just about everywhere else where people like to go.  The Israelis wanted to deport them all, but those damned arabs threatened to cut off our oil again if Israel tried to send those folks back, fearing that they would bomb their shit and try to take over their governements too.

Enter the USA again.  We knew that if we did not support the Israelis, they would have to kill or deport all those displaced arabs or face continued attacks.  As a result we said we would financially help them out so that they would continue to take it and we would continue to get the oil.  This brings us to where we are now.  Now, these displaced arabs are on the verge of having their own country so they won't be the problem of their home countries anymore.  Now, if they attack Israel again, they can whipe them out and the other arab countries won't feel guilty and all will go back to being right with the world.

So we give money and guns to Israel to help the Arabs?

I'm sure the Arabs are really thankful for the F-15s and F-16s in the Israeli arsenal.  And they sure seem to appreciate those free M16s the Israelis have.

Under your theory, we should cut out the middle man and give guns and money to the Arabs to wipe out Israel in exchange for oil!

Contorted logic aside, we all know why we give money to Israel, and it has nothing to do with helping Arabs or US national security.  Israel should exist on its own dime.

Thanks for not using big word though!

-green

ETA:  I'm going to drop this, as I'd like to see more about this interesting new device rather than continuing with the political issues.  Sorry 'bout the hijack.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1127355596913

Once deployed, the Eye Ball, which is about the size of a cricket ball,

No one in the US knows how big that is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it smaller than a breadbox?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it bigger than a cricket?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it bigger than a cricket?

I didn't know crickets had........
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Once deployed, the Eye Ball, which is about the size of a cricket ball

Okay, this doesn't help me at all. How fuckin' big is a cricket's balls?

They should codename this thing "Matzo Ball".

The M629 Matzo Ball.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top