Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 11:33:25 PM EDT
Whats the Safest way to pay for items online (Ebay, gunbroker, ARF.com) so that if you get ripped off you have a chance to get your money back? I know to always buy from trusted buyers with good feedback, but these things still happen. I always have used a money order.(Tried paypal it was terrible) But have been thinking if you use a personal check then they have to desposit it into their account and that can be tracked?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Credit cards can always be disputed, sometimes with great results.

Money orders are insured by the .gov but take some time to collect and some paperwork to collect.

Never send money by Western Union unless your kid got a DUI when at college and needs to get out of jail.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Credit cards can always be disputed, sometimes with great results.

Money orders are insured by the .gov but take some time to collect and some paperwork to collect.

Never send money by Western Union unless your kid got a DUI when at college and needs to get out of jail.

Thanks. I was reading on the USPS site that if you money order is stolen they will replace it. So if you get ripped off using a money order can you report it stolen? Techinically thats stealing the money order right? if they dont send the goods.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
CC or MO here. All I will use. Unless its someone I know then he can take a check.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#4]
MBNA allows you to generate a one-time use CC# (presuming you already have a MBNA CC) at their website. Very handy. You set the limit and the expiration date.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
bump to see what others think
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a MasterCard with a low credit limit that I use just for Internet, catalog and 800 number purchases.

Even if the number is compromised, the limit is low enough that the risk in minimal.

I've bought stuff from all sorts of vendors, and no problems so far....

Steve
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]
How do money orders work? If you send one and they cash it and never send the item. Can you report it and get your money back?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a MasterCard with a low credit limit that I use just for Internet, catalog and 800 number purchases.

Even if the number is compromised, the limit is low enough that the risk in minimal.

Steve

+1

We have a  CC that we use soley for internet and phone orders.    The available limit is also set low for the above reason.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
MBNA allows you to generate a one-time use CC# (presuming you already have a MBNA CC) at their website. Very handy. You set the limit and the expiration date.

+1

Very good way to handle it IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]
+1.

Quoted:

Steve

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget the flip-side of the transaction - shipping and damaged/lost goods...

Hmmmm....... I buy item on Ebay, use Paypayl that hits my creditcard.  Item is damaged in shipment.  Vendor receives payment for item and covers shipping his costs since I paid shipping. He's now clean since he received pmt for the item and passed thru the shipping.  Me on the other hand is out the entire amount for an item that is damaged by the carrier.

I'm going thru hoops with UPS and a vendor right now for an item that was damaged in transit.  UPS has carved me 100% out of the equation saying their obligation is between the shipper and UPS.  I'm the one who's out the money for the item and the money for shipping.  The vendor is working with me and UPS to get some settlement but I don't know how much he's willing to push UPS thus leaving me out in the cold.

So, think about the post-transaction part as well.  It's biting me right now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top