Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 10:22:38 PM EDT
I live in the NW Houston, outside Beltway 8, 290/ Huffmiester,
Plywood is gone, can't find none Lowes, Home Depot forget it....
Is there anything else that can be used ?  I'm even thinking of getting wood
paneling and using 3-4 sheets layered per window.. But thats even hard to find..
They are expecting at least 100 MPH winds here and I'm 80 miles from Galveston
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen cities in the path of
a hurricane tape all their windows
they did an X and a +  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Already done that, three rolls of Duck tape ...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the tape with keep the glass from shattering but it will still break
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm between you and galveston, I'll send you some boards tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
22bad

Yea, but who is going to help me catch them in mid-air !
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Home Depot and Lowes both sell galvanized metal roofing sheets (as well as corrugated fiberglass versions) - They aren't particularly strong on their own, but can be reinforced with 2X4s or other wood.

Also, don't overlook bathroom paneling (both fiberglass-reinforced plastic and coated fiberboard) - stands up to water better than ordinary paneling.

Finally, most folks flock to the national building supply chains, while ignoring the local mom-and-pop lumberyards - Might not hurt to whup out your Yellow Pages, and make some phone calls...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Home Depot and Lowes both sell galvanized metal roofing sheets (as well as corrugated fiberglass versions) - They aren't particularly strong on their own, but can be reinforced with 2X4s or other wood.

Also, don't overlook bathroom paneling (both fiberglass-reinforced plastic and coated fiberboard) - stands up to water better than ordinary paneling.

Finally, most folks flock to the national building supply chains, while ignoring the local mom-and-pop lumberyards - Might not hurt to whup out your Yellow Pages, and make some phone calls...

I was looking at that stuff, I think its call Maralite ? not sure of the spelling..
thats used in a bathroom. I already made my yard debree proof as possible, and help alot of the
neighbors also to try to eliminate most of the missiles....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By 22bad

Yea, but who is going to help me catch them in mid-air !

Just get some nails ready and watch your front yard  

Seriously, if you are really worried, consider tearing apart something to use the boards
doghouse, shed, sign, do you have boards for your attic or garage flooring?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I got two words for ya:

1. Road
2. Signs!

They're free, are made of thick wood or metal, and nobody's going to be reading them in the middle of a hurricane anyway!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I got two words for ya:

1. Road
2. Signs!

They're free, are made of thick wood or metal, and nobody's going to be reading them in the middle of a hurricane anyway!

He's got a point.
Just make sure to have lettering side face the wall.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I got two words for ya:

1. Road
2. Signs!

They're free, are made of thick wood or metal, and nobody's going to be reading them in the middle of a hurricane anyway

Great, my luck some of the trash from NO would think its some kind of evacuation route
or shelter and show up on my front door step.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I live in the NW Houston, outside Beltway 8, 290/ Huffmiester,
Plywood is gone, can't find none Lowes, Home Depot forget it....
Is there anything else that can be used ?  I'm even thinking of getting wood
paneling and using 3-4 sheets layered per window.. But thats even hard to find..
They are expecting at least 100 MPH winds here and I'm 80 miles from Galveston

Pointtarget - I'm in the same area of Houston you are, and one of my customers "Hogan Hardwood" had plywood available today (They are right around Bingle / Kempwood area).  If you happen to check w/ them, I have a great relationship with Elizabeth so if you tell her that Robert from CPI Office Products sent you her way, she will probably help you out.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]
If you get desperate, rip apart some pallets.  Better ones are made of oak and are very tough.  But I imagine most equipment is being loaded on them and they might be scarce.

Tape on windows does nothing.  It is better to use 1x4s if available since there will be more nail/screws holding it in place.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Handsome_Rob
Pointtarget - I'm in the same area of Houston you are, and one of my customers "Hogan Hardwood" had plywood available today (They are right around Bingle / Kempwood area). If you happen to check w/ them, I have a great relationship with Elizabeth so if you tell her that Robert from CPI Office Products sent you her way, she will probably help you out.

Thanks for the info, Do you have a Street address or phone #..
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Lowes and Home Depot also sell concrete shower liner sheets -roughly the same thickness as plywood, but much denser.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#16]
When you guys are done boarding up and securing you will want to give serious thought to...

LEAVING.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]
SteyrAUG
When you guys are done boarding up and securing you will want to give serious thought to...

LEAVING

Wish I could, but not possible. Considered to be esential personel.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
SteyrAUG

LEAVING

Wish I could, but not possible. Considered to be esential personel.

Crap. You bunking down at home or at work?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]

I too am bunkering down here in houston.. except I am on the east side 5 miles north of the ship channel..  bad area to be in..  girlfriend left tonight from clear lake headed to dallas.. 7.5 hours later she has made it 28 miles in stop and go traffic..  just passed tidwell on 45 just north of 610 loop..   she will be stop and go all night and probably morning.. it's a mess here folks..
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Handsome_Rob
Pointtarget - I'm in the same area of Houston you are, and one of my customers "Hogan Hardwood" had plywood available today (They are right around Bingle / Kempwood area). If you happen to check w/ them, I have a great relationship with Elizabeth so if you tell her that Robert from CPI Office Products sent you her way, she will probably help you out.

Thanks for the info, Do you have a Street address or phone #..

Hogan Hardwood and Moulding. 7770 BLANKENSHIP DR, HOUSTON, TX 77055. (713) 683-0991,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top