Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2005 8:28:28 PM EDT
And I know you are familiar with Hurricanes.

But trust me when I say "this one is different."

This one is as different as "Andrew" was from all the hurricanes I went through growing up in Florida.

This thing is bad news. When I say this storm is a killer I'm not trying to scare you or say the sky is falling.

What I'm saying is IF you are in it's projected path and can leave DO IT. I know you don't want to for all kinds of reasons. And I know some of you simply can't for other reasons. But if you can, you will be glad you did.

And if you HAVE to stay think in terms of survival not comfort when you plan.

PLEASE take this storm seriously and start planning and preparing NOW.

I honestly think this one can easily top the damage done by Katrina. The potential is there.

This thing is currently 175 mph and forcasted to land as a Cat 4 or Cat 5. And that is nothing to be messed with.

I'm hoping for the best but I'm really worried for you guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Texan response:  eh, we need the rain.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
+1
The shit has hit the fan, bug out now, please!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
+1

If you're standing on a set of railroad tracks and you see a train coming....
Get off the tracks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
This storm can do a lot of damage and kill a lot of people but worse than Katrina… no.

Not unless you can find a city the size of NO 20 feet under sea level in Texas
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's what I'm hoping don't happen.

Texans are hearty folks who usually don't scare easy. They are kinda like Key West folks who don't worry easy.

But right now I'm scared and worried for them and I don't even live there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This storm can do a lot of damage and kill a lot of people but worse than Katrina… no.

Not unless you can find a city the size of NO 20 feet under sea level in Texas

I know a lot of people died in the flood cause by being below sea level.

I think this one could still be worse. This thing is just bad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
We're Texans; we'll just kick the hurricane's ass and aim it at Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
GET OUT.............LEAVE................YOU WILL DIE.................LEAVE.............NOW

GOD IS PUNISHING YOU FOR HAVING SUCH A LARGE STATE

RUN AWAY...........FLY AWAY................GO TO MEXICO IF YOU HAVE TO

YOU WILL DIE IF YOU LIVE ON THE COAST

Good luck......oh and get ammo
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hah, that's not what I heard.  Texans talk tough but it gets a little windy and rainy they run for the fucking hills like a bunch of pussies.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell us how you really feel...

Quoted:
GET OUT.............LEAVE................YOU WILL DIE.................LEAVE.............NOW

GOD IS PUNISHING YOU FOR HAVING SUCH A LARGE STATE

RUN AWAY...........FLY AWAY................GO TO MEXICO IF YOU HAVE TO

YOU WILL DIE IF YOU LIVE ON THE COAST

Good luck......oh and get ammo

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]
The low lying area down by matagorda are at serious risk for flooding from what I understand, it has happened before.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texans are hearty folks who usually don't scare easy. They are kinda like Key West folks who don't worry easy.

Yea but not everybody in Texas is drunk or stoned like in Key West… yet.

Don’t get to worried yet, if that storm hits as little as 60 miles down the coast from Galveston damage will be minimal… not much there.

But then if it T-bones Galveston/Houston it will be pretty ugly
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hah, that's not what I heard.  Texans talk tough but it gets a little windy and rainy they run for the fucking hills like a bunch of pussies.

You're on a roll today!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]
It's gonna be ugly no matter where it hits.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well you might bore it to death with boasting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, we do need the rain. Im up here in the DFW area, by the time it gets up here it will just be a big ass thunderstorm. Now, my family in Houston is bugging the hell outta there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am praying for our Texas brothers...and when we Florida boyz start talking hurricanes, they usually say they (Texas) have had their share..nope, not even close to what Florida has experienced the last 10 years. The last bad hurricane to hit Texas was over 20 years ago. They are about to catch up...I just hope this begins it eyewall replacement when it gets close to landfall then be down graded to something less than a 5.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. I heard if the temperature in Alaska gets above freezing, your pecker actually gets longer than 1/4 inch.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Get out and good luck.
I'd be running if it was me and I stayed put through all four last year, two that went right over top.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well, we do need the rain. Im up here in the DFW area, by the time it gets up here it will just be a big ass thunderstorm. Now, my family in Houston is bugging the hell outta there.

Sitting up here in DFW too, SIL made it to Austin in about 6hrs .   Even if it does miss the Houston area, flooding will probably happen. The last big storm that went through about 4-6 years ago, my BIL had 3' of water in his condo. So flooding will be the big issue there IMO.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]
SteyrAUG is right, there is nothing worth dying for - except life and liberty.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yeah. I heard if the temperature in Alaska gets above freezing, your pecker actually gets longer than 1/4 inch.

Awwww. Sensitive about living in the 2nd biggest state? Just like a Texan to think about other men's peckers.

TX= 260,601 square miles
AK= 656,425 square miles
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Appreciate the advice on this, SteyrAUG - all Texas talk aside a lot of us are damn worried about this one.  I'm about 30 miles northeast of downtown Houston, had planned to stick it out here but am rethinking that with so many people advising otherwise.  

Unfortunately so many are already on the road that average speeds on the highways are 5-15 MPH.  I'd hate to get out of dodge only to get stuck on the road someplace and end up trying to ride it out in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#25]
The local news just announced that the storm is the size of the GULF and is getting WORSE
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awwww. Sensitive about living in the 2nd biggest state? Just like a Texan to think about other men's peckers.

TX= 260,601 square miles
AK= 656,425 square miles

And we CRAP bigger storms than this hurricane you're pissing your pants over.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#27]
My local HEB, nice and far inland in Austin, is now sold out of all water, milk, bread, plus most of their fruits and vegetables are gone.  The parking lot has been packed full all day.  There's certainly no reason to evacuate from Austin, but the people are getting well prepared for an extended power outage.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Genererator, unused AC window unit sitting in a box waiting to be cranked up, lots of gas and supplies.

Dude, I planned for comfort.  You can keep that bare bones stuff.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Genererator, unused AC window unit sitting in a box waiting to be cranked up, lots of gas and supplies.

AC window unit is on my shopping list for tomorrow, I'm good to go on everything else.  Would have picked one up yesterday but couldn't find the size I wanted.  Will probably have to settle for whatever I can find tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TX= 260,601 square miles
AK= 656,425 square miles

AKs animals are bigger too, the "deer" up there a quite large.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TX= 260,601 square miles
AK= 656,425 square miles

How much of your land is habitable and worth cultivating? Texas has every form of terrain that exists in the world, excepting arctic and sub-arctic tundra. Plus I never have to shovel snow, prevent my roof from caving in, or slip on ice on my sidewalk when I step out into my warm, temperate lawn.

If it weren't for the oil fields, which the libtards won't let us get to now, Alaska would be like the rest of Canada: the land our forefathers looked at and said "naaaaah".
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Comfort is nice. I'd put the priority on surviving the storm.

Square away a bullet proof bunker or bail out.

Tell you guys a hurricane story. During Andrew my uncle bailed out of Homestead and went about 15 miles inland to Kendall which was well into what was considered the "safe zone."

His family and the family they were staying with ended up confined to an interior bathroom when the storm hit with the wives and kids huddled in the bathtub praying while the men wedged their feet on the door which they were watching breath.

People in his neighborhood who stayed at home died in their homes. I saw houses where the entire front and back walls were blown out. You could look into the back yard from the front yard right through the house. And we are talking concrete structures that had stood since the 1950s.

And if you do survive the storm you DON'T wanna be there after the storm.

Just take your family vacation now. Get the fuck outta Dodge for 10 days and enjoy the room service. While you are sitting in the AC alive watching what happened on the news you will be damn glad you did.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Appreciate the advice on this, SteyrAUG - all Texas talk aside a lot of us are damn worried about this one.  I'm about 30 miles northeast of downtown Houston, had planned to stick it out here but am rethinking that with so many people advising otherwise.  

Unfortunately so many are already on the road that average speeds on the highways are 5-15 MPH.  I'd hate to get out of dodge only to get stuck on the road someplace and end up trying to ride it out in a vehicle.

Pack up what you can and get out, you have time.

There will be nowhere to go later if it lands closeby.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Steyr speeaks the truth.

I sat through 2 last year and never saw more than 105 sustained. I would strongly recomend not even

testing that limit.

My house is block cnstruction, late 50's built, the walls were shaking during the worst of it.

The area I live was heavily treed and looked like it was a war zone for miles.  Much of the damage

is still unrepaired.

LOOTING

A popular subject here lately, was kept under control by LE in the "High Crime" areas, my side of town

was bad enough you couldn't have gotten to it to LOOT.

This was well inland and the storm had to pass over 80+miles of land to get here and It was only a

cat3 when itmade landfall.

Like people are saying: Get out and watch it on TV from Oklahoma

There won't be much food or fuel, or power for quite some time.

Good Luck

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TX= 260,601 square miles
AK= 656,425 square miles

LOL. Don't mind the AK guys.   They have a right to be frustrated and grouchy.  Have you seen the men vs. women ratio up there? There are not enough women to go around.  I'm sure you have to lower your standards to get a woman in AK.  It's not a pretty sight according to a friend who spent time up there and he's not picky.  A 5 in Texas would probably be considered a perfect 10 in AK  Just give them a pass.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

It's just another one of them ocean tornadoes. We'll just shoot some buckshot at it and go to sleep.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#37]
they are talking about a cat 1 hurricane at DFW by Sunday night. whoa!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Na I ain't going no where!!
Well its the truth!! I'm about 300 miles north of houston, we'll get a hell of a storm from it but thats about it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
they are talking about a cat 1 hurricane at DFW by Sunday night. whoa!

I highly dought it, as soon as it hits land it will lose it hurricane status very very quickly
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#40]
there'll be a housing bubble in Galvaston
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#41]
the latest map from NOAA
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#42]
SA & LS speak the truth. I'm about 1 hour south of Jacksonville in Gator country. When Frances and Jean went thru here last year, being inland ment bullshit and those were tiny ass 'canes compared to what is facing down TX. No power for a week each time, no fuel for generators, debris everywhere, unable to get out on the roads for 2 days. Hours of endless wind howling, and we're only talking 50-60 mph sustained. Let me tell you, 100 miles from the coast on this one is bullshit. If you think a brick or block structure will keep you safe, you are dead wrong. Andrew proved that.  We are as of right now getting light rain & wind from Rita here in N.FL. that should give you some idea on Rita's reach. Rita could stall 100 miles off the coast & still grind TX to pieces. It's SHTF time, if you are not in a dome shaped poured concrete structure with enough fuel & supplies for 30 days  GET OUT.

Oh, regarding all the Texan bravado, everyone knows you can give a Texan an enema and bury him in a shoebox afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#43]
we're ready.  We take care of our own.  I am in Dallas, and hope all those in the path get going soon.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Speaking from as an eye-witness, it takes less than 20 minutes of hard rain to SUBMERGE a tractor-trailer rig in parts of Houston.  Specifically, the Northbound underpass if Beltway 8 & I10 on the West side.

Houston gets routinely pounded by severe weather, but this hurricane is nothing to take lightly.  LEAVE NOW.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TX= 260,601 square miles
AK= 656,425 square miles

I read a joke a few years ago about how Alaska could REALLY piss Texas off.
Divide Alaska in two, and make Texas the 3rd largest.

[/hijack]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Good God...212 mph.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#49]
My brother just got in from Seabrook last night..Depending on the damage I may go with him back to his place when this dies down..That ought to be an interesting trip!

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Most, if not all, HS activities in SA such as games and field trips for Saturday and Sunday have either been cancelled or rescheduled.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top