Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 9:45:15 AM EDT
Starting from Maine, I am going to fly to Ohio. Then Drive down to Florida, and then fly back from there. Should I even bother to CCW? Is it going to be a pain in the ass to check the gun on the flight?

I have a CCW for both Maine and NH -  but, Ohio or Florida does not recognize it and there is not enough time to get a florida or OH before I go. So, I basically will have to have the ammo and gun separate anyway if I want to obey the law for most of the trip.

So should I even bother?

When the hell are they gonna pass a nat'l ccw?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

When the hell are they gonna pass a nat'l ccw?

They shouldn't have to. Official documents issued in one state are supposed to be recognized by other states. Hence why you can drive on your trip, or don't have to get remarried each time you move.

I'd take it, just on principle alone. Checking it at the airport isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#2]
keep it loaded and locked in your glove box. and bring a spare key to your glove box, so should you think you may be getting in some shit, you don't have to turn your car off to get to your gun
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Checking it is not the problem.  Getting it stolen once checked in is.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This hasn't happened to me in over 20 yrs.  Lock your gun in an approved hard case(you keep these keys).  Put the case inside your locked bag with a TSA tamper-evident lock on it.  Your bag may be a soft side.  Hell, they haven't touched my ammo, and many times don't open my bag.

Ace sells these, and so does Homey Depot:

linky to lock

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This hasn't happened to me in over 20 yrs.  Lock your gun in an approved hard case(you keep these keys).  Put the case inside your locked bag with a TSA tamper-evident lock on it.  Your bag may be a soft side.  Hell, they haven't touched my ammo, and many times don't open my bag.

Ace sells these, and so does Homey Depot:

linky to lock

www.tamperseal.com/images/tsa_lock_pewter.jpg

Thanks. got a link to a good lockable hard case?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
keep it loaded and locked in your glove box. and bring a spare key to your glove box, so should you think you may be getting in some shit, you don't have to turn your car off to get to your gun

That would be a crime in some states, at least. Not that I would want a gun falling out of my glove box if a cop pulled me over and asked for registration, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
well, I'm good in every state along the way except the states of ohio and florida. If I got a florida I would automatically get ohio, but there isn't enough time and I dont want to spend 175 dollars or whatever it is for states I hardly ever go to.

so I guess i would have to keep the gun locked and the ammo separate and no ammo in the mag until I get out of ohio, and then do it again once I enter florida. right?

What exactly is the procedure for bringing a gun on a plane trip anyway? I would like to hear from those who have actually done it - not the speculators.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Do your homework! Check out the reciprosity laws on www.packing.org  It will tell you most everything you will need to know.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do your homework! Check out the reciprosity laws on www.packing.org  It will tell you most everything you will need to know.

reciprocity laws won't tell me how to not get arrested trying to check my gun with my luggage!

I know which states i have reciprocity in, and Ohio and Florida ain't one of them. Which is the basis of my whole thread.

But thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well, I'm good in every state along the way except the states of ohio and florida. If I got a florida I would automatically get ohio, but there isn't enough time and I dont want to spend 175 dollars or whatever it is for states I hardly ever go to.

so I guess i would have to keep the gun locked and the ammo separate and no ammo in the mag until I get out of ohio, and then do it again once I enter florida. right?

What exactly is the procedure for bringing a gun on a plane trip anyway? I would like to hear from those who have actually done it - not the speculators.

Thanks.

No. In Florida you are good to go if the gun is in the glove compartment, center console, snapped holster, zippered gun case, or otherwise 'securely encased.' The gun can be loaded and ready to go. The key words are 'securely encased.' That means inside something, whether locked or unlocked.

You are not required to disclose to an officer that you have it.

And some of you need to get your damed docs out of the glove compartment, and into a band around the visor or something.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

No. In Florida you are good to go if the gun is in the glove compartment, center console, snapped holster, zippered gun case, or otherwise 'securely encased.' The gun can be loaded and ready to go. The key words are 'securely encased.' That means inside something, whether locked or unlocked.

And some of you need to get your damed docs out of the glove compartment, and into a band around the visor or something.

Thanks for the info matt!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info matt!

Not a problem, bud.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]

linky

I use the 802C-40 which fits my Glock 30, 26, or snubbie Taurus .38

I forgot where I got it, I am searching the archives, a fellow ARFcommer recommended the place.

edit:  couldn't find the place.  It was a huge internet sales place, but that was months ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't have time to check at the moment, but I thought Florida and NH had reciprocity.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Flying to Ohio should not be a problem.  I fly almost weekly, with my 1911 almost every time.  Just check the airlines website for their specs., they all seem to be pretty much the same.  As far as traveling in Ohio with it, make sure it is locked up and unloaded.  For that far of a drive, staying in multiple locations, I would have a handgun on myself
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#16]
... I've always flown to States with reciprocity a-packing, unless it's just a carry on day trip - which I do about 3 times a month
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#17]
check the stat laws that you are visiting and see if they allow people from other states with ccw, you just have to lock it up at the airport in your checked baggage. Just make sure at the airport, they don't mess with it and they put it back in the right bag! (almost had a problem with that in philly, glad I was watching after they siad I could go to my flight).
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Thanks.

Wait in line for a person to check you in (no curbside for you).  Tell them you have an unloaded firearm in the bag you are checking.  They will hand you a luggage tag to put on the locked gun case - not your suitcase.  Sign it, open your suitcase and attach, check your bag, done.

As far as ammo, bring one box of factory ammo, in the original box, not in the gun case.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top