Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 6:08:04 AM EDT
I know it got wiped out in 1900(?) and was rebuilt higher. How'd they do that?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
They didn't have welfare then, so you had to get a shovel and earn your keep.

Pumped sand in I think?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#2]
A 20-ft high wall was built on about 10 miles of the island at the beachfront.  It's called the sea wall.  The island is about 30 (or more) miles long, and the seawall protects the main portion of the city.  Much of the island is mostly at sea level except for a small portion closest to the sea wall.  In the event of a CAT5, Galveston will still be engulfed once the surge reaches the back side of the island.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A 20-ft high wall was built on about 10 miles of the island at the beachfront.  It's called the sea wall.  The island is about 30 (or more) miles long, and the seawall protects the main portion of the city.  Much of the island is mostly at sea level except for a small portion closest to the sea wall.  In the event of a CAT5, Galveston will still be engulfed once the surge reaches the back side of the island.

OK. I gotta ask but would that 20' wall have saved them from the first storm?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

True, and whats gonna suck is that I have some family that live across the ferry in Bolivar and there is no sea wall there. They are about 200 yards from the beach with nothing but a man made sand dune between them and the Gulf. They are all coming up to my mom's this week but we are only about 70 miles inland. They are saying that hurricane force winds could still make it that far in.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

OK. I gotta ask but would that 20' wall have saved them from the first storm?

I don't know about the 1900 storm, but a 20 ft. high wall will take the brunt of the storm surge.  There has been some recent debate as to whether the wall will help in a CAT5 hurricane with a 20-ft storm surge, because wave height can EASILY add an additional 20 or more feet to the height of the water.  In this case the waves would just wash right over the wall.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are a couple links to info.

www.1900storm.com/rebuilding/index.lasso

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4840557

Dredge material is pumped into the island during the grade raising after the 1900 hurricane. Residents endured years of pumps, sludge, canals, stench and miles of catwalks during the project. Rosenberg Library

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#7]
They showed a graphic of a 22' storm surge on TV this morning. That would put everything south of League City underwater. Even a 4' surge will cover most of Galveston. The west end is exposed and low. This could really alter how much of that island exists. It's essentially a giant sand bar. A big storm surge could carry a lot of it away.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top