Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 7:40:01 PM EDT
I have two questions about the CMP as I am preparing to do business with the for the first time.

First, how do they ship their rifles? Is it just a cardboard box with a shipping label or is there a tag that says "FIREARM" or something? I may be ordering this to my college and I would preferr if no one realized there was a rifle inside.

Second, why is it that the CMP can ship the gun directly to your house. I know they do the NCIS check but I thought shipping to a non-FFL was illegal. If they can do this, why can't internet gun sellers do the same thing?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they send it FedEx.

I am planning on getting one soon as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have two questions about the CMP as I am preparing to do business with the for the first time.

First, how do they ship their rifles? Is it just a cardboard box with a shipping label or is there a tag that says "FIREARM" or something? I may be ordering this to my college and I would preferr if no one realized there was a rifle inside.

Second, why is it that the CMP can ship the gun directly to your house. I know they do the NCIS check but I thought shipping to a non-FFL was illegal. If they can do this, why can't internet gun sellers do the same thing?

The CMP is congressionally chartered.  That means that they are the government.  They are shipping directly from government stores.  Therefore they can ship to you.  They are not like a regular FFL holder.

Oh, I thought they were a private non-profit org
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always picked mine up at the fedex building. They never seem to arrive when I'm at home. For the love of God, do not throw away the box. If you ever have to sell the rifle the box is absolutely necessary to prove that it is a cmp rifle. Plus, if you ever have to ship it, the box is ideal. be careful about having it sent to a college campus. I attend Penn State and there are bastards about firearms on campus. They're probably not the only ones.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
They ship it in a long sturdy cardboard box, with eggcrate foam inside.

There is no mention of it being a firearm inside, unless someone reads the tag and knows what the civilian marksmanship program is already.

The box is not the only proof you have that it is a CMP rifle - they send it out with a certificate with the serial number and notations that it is a CMP firearm.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They ship it in a long sturdy cardboard box, with eggcrate foam inside.

There is no mention of it being a firearm inside, unless someone reads the tag and knows what the civilian marksmanship program is already.

The box is not the only proof you have that it is a CMP rifle - they send it out with a certificate with the serial number and notations that it is a CMP firearm.

Yup... what he said!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The CMP is congressionally chartered.  That means that they are the government.  They are shipping directly from government stores.  Therefore they can ship to you.  They are not like a regular FFL holder.

Oh, I thought they were a private non-profit org

They are...with Congressional mandate and oversight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
snip I may be ordering this to my college and I would preferr if no one realized there was a rifle inside.

You need to absolutely stop right there. I believe that there's some kind of a whacky federal law about shipping or taking any firearm onto any campus that receives Federal funding. Just have FedEx hold the package at the office and track it so you can retrieve it. Last thing you want is some shitbird liberal either refusing your delivery or launching some kind of LeftKook "student body investigation/violence on campus/security threat" baloney because you had the unmitigated gall to whisper the word "gun" within three-thousand feet of a school.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#9]
CMP ships FedEx next day air.

CMP can ship directly to the customer because the legislation that established the organization exempted them from the Gun Control Act.

As to the shipping, CMP will ship to any address you designate or they will ship to the nearest FedEx office for them to hold for you to pick it up.  That would seem to be your best option.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You need to absolutely stop right there. I believe that there's some kind of a whacky federal law about shipping or taking any firearm onto any campus that receives Federal funding.

Unless it depends on the state, I don't think this is true. University of Wisconsin Steven's Point allows weapons to be stored on campus.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for everyones help! I'm gonna have them ship to a Fed Ex office. I don't think there is any federal law about no guns on college campuses because my college recieves federal funds and allows the storage of weapons on campus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top