Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2005 5:08:54 PM EDT
Ok, just got back from the dealership. the chioce is between a Honda S2000 ['03] with 14,000 miles for $23,499 or a '05 Subaru STI with 2000 miles for $27,500.

I drove both and each has its strong suits; please chime in as I cannot make a decision.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
STI.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Tough choice. Really, those are two completely different cars. Its an apples to oranges comparison.

If it were me..... Probably S2000 and take the 4000 saved and put it into upgrades. But then again, I like roadsters.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
depends do you need 4 seats and 4 doors or is 2 enough becuase if it is go for the S2000
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#4]
STI.

I've been driving a Miata for about 6 years now and I gotta tell you, not haveing anything that qualifies as a trunk and not even having teh option of cramming midgets into a back seat really gets on your nerves after a few years.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
STi.

All wheel drive makes driving at the edge much more forgiving, and it's also very practical. My WRX's all wheel drive helped me the other day to get to a remote gravel pit to shoot, a 2WD car would have sucked on that "road"

On the other hand, if you are a good driver, like one that actually has taken courses, road raced, and actively participate in track and auto-x events, the S2000 MAY be worth it...

Overall, utility, bang for buck, and raw speed/power gives the STi a slight advantage...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
There both awesome cars. BUt my vote is for the STI. All-wheel drive is the shit yo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
depends do you need 4 seats and 4 doors or is 2 enough becuase if it is go for the S2000

I'm single, no kids or wife, all the local family members have sedans in the area. I commute 4 miles a day to work and can actually take public tranportation for $1.10. if it snows.

...question: will an AR15 fit in the trunk of an S200?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]
STI.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm single, no kids or wife, all the local family members have sedans in the area. I commute 4 miles a day to work and can actually take public tranportation for $1.10. if it snows.

So get the S2000
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want FAST get the STI.

A local SWAT member on CrownVic.net is well, SWAT, and carries his duty M4 + ammo in the trunk of his WRX (same as STI, except for about 40+ hp) POV.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So get the S2000

I cant believe no one has told me to "GET BOTH".....its just such a nice AR15.COM tradition
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you want FAST get the STI

...you're not kidding, I almost pooped my pants and braking hard actually lifted me off the seat!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even still I'd say get the STI.  I am pretty much in the same situation as you except without the snow so I can drive with the top down about 320 days a year.

I would STILL rather have a sedan considering the utility of having the extra room to stash shit.  I can barely fit my 18" 870 in my trunk.

Course if you have the ability to sell a car after 4-5 years you can just get rid of it when you're tired of not having the room.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI, the s2000 has a faster piston speed [FPS] then a F1 race car. And Honda can make them last. Freaking unbelievable. S2000 will wipe a subie off the road unless it's a WRX, and it's a sports car. You're single, last chance for 18 years to own a two seater. Use it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]
How big are you?  If you are taller then 5-8 and weigh more then 180 you will not be happy with the s2000.  I bought one and traded it in on a BMW Z4.  Fast and fun it was not comfortable and painful in long drives.  Its like a F1 car and it fits like one.

The Z4 has a lot more room and fits how I drive much better.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd say STI.

forcedperformance.net

I'm addicted to boost. It's beyond simple to get easy hp outa them.

if you want to make the s2k fast you can drop about 4.5k and get the s/c kit which will make around 300hp. Add suspension and you got yourself a badass auto-x car.

I'm partial to the STI because of it's rally-enspired heritage. Plus subaru is really good about warranting modded cars. With the same money you spend on getting the s2k up to the same hp as the STI is stock, you could easily make another 100hp in bolt-ons.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]
TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nothing like turbo. Get the STI
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#19]
S2000.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Jeeze... what, did they stop selling the Honda Civic Del Sol or is the S2000 the girliest thing you can buy?

The STIs aren't too bad, but they don't live up to the hype.  For $27k... you could do way better.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Jeeze... what, did they stop selling the Honda Civic Del Sol or is the S2000 the girliest thing you can buy?

The STIs aren't too bad, but they don't live up to the hype.  For $27k... you could do way better.

How so? Don't know of anything out there aside from the EVO that can compare in performance for 30k new.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

you might want to tell him what "way better" is
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#23]
If you would like a fun toy, get the S2000.  If you want something more practical, get the STi.  If you want fast, you are entirely in the wrong category.

Disclaimer:  I am a hardcore Mustang fan.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

....ok then.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, if what he's looking for is to go fast... you could buy several Camaros/Firebirds that would blow the doors off one of those (while still getting damn good highway fuel economy).  Or, if you want something even girlier than an S2000, my sister might sell you her Mitsubishi Eclipse.  It's a V6, and according to her, it's really fast.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you would like a fun toy, get the S2000.  If you want something more practical, get the STi.  If you want fast, you are entirely in the wrong category.

So what makes a car "fast", Mr. Mustang fan?

A camaro/firebird that would blow the doors off one of those? Surely you jest.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
STI.....

Noting says, "redneck" like an F-Body.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you would like a fun toy, get the S2000.  If you want something more practical, get the STi.  If you want fast but sucks in the turns, eats tons of gas, you are entirely in the wrong category.

I fixed that for you
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well, if what he's looking for is to go fast... you could buy several Camaros/Firebirds that would blow the doors off one of those (while still getting damn good highway fuel economy).  Or, if you want something even girlier than an S2000, my sister might sell you her Mitsubishi Eclipse.  It's a V6, and according to her, it's really fast.

.....sister you say?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#30]
what kind of gas mileage does an STI get?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#31]
18mpg city/24mpg hwy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#32]
^^^^^damn you

it looks like its 18/24 mpg
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you would like a fun toy, get the S2000.  If you want something more practical, get the STi.  If you want fast but sucks in the turns, eats tons of gas, you are entirely in the wrong category.

Disclaimer:  I am a hardcore Mustang fan.hr

I fixed that for youhr

Correct on the first charge.  But on the second, not with my suspension.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what makes a car "fast", Mr. Mustang fan? hat

How about a 2000 Mustang GT with full coilover suspesion, Vortech T-Trim, 3.73 Gears, TKO tranny, and about to have methanol injection.  It runs around 12.1 in the quarter and loves a good road course.  Will that do?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I did see a mustang go up Pike's Peak this year...he failed to make it all the way up on his own power though.

You can't compare a 2k GT with aftermarket mods to a brand new factory 4 dr sedan rally car.

I could go right back and say, well what about a 15 year old car built in a small plant in Normal, IL that didn't cost more than 500 bucks and with a stock turbo/trans/motor, no nitrous, and FWD that runs 10s?

Oh and it only has 4 cyl and as much displacement as a 2 liter bottle of coke.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#36]
No contest. If it was me I would go for the STI.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I would actually go for the EVO
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
STI.....

Noting says, "redneck" like an F-Body.....hr

I doubt I'd own one... they're too high budget for me.  Though, only the 2nd and 3rd gens were redneck.  1st gens are "blah", 4th gens are expensive.  There's way better bang for the buck out there than $23k or $27k for 14s.  Though, there's potential... potential also exists in a Dodge viper, that doesn't make it cost effective.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#39]
STI's are cool , but I'm leary of all those CV joints. If I were going to get one, I would seriously look for an older one. Your going to modify it anyway, so why pay a premium.

I'm a big Honda fan, but mini-cars suck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
STI.....

I doubt I'd own one... they're too high budget for me.  Though, only the 2nd and 3rd gens were redneck.  1st gens are "blah", 4th gens are expensive.  There's way better bang for the buck out there than $23k or $27k for 14s.  Though, there's potential... potential also exists in a Dodge viper, that doesn't make it cost effective.

1) its not 14's its 13's

2) i think he wants something newish in that price range.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
^^^^^damn you

Holy hell!  My 4700lb luxo-cruiser does better than that... and it runs 14s!

Total investment: Sub-$4000
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what makes a car "fast", Mr. Mustang fan?

A camaro/firebird that would blow the doors off one of those? Surely you jest.

How about a 2000 Mustang GT with full coilover suspesion, Vortech T-Trim, 3.73 Gears, TKO tranny, and about to have methanol injection.  It runs around 12.1 in the quarter and loves a good road course.  Will that do?

DAMN!  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't even want to know how much coil overs were, I had the Steeda G-Trac stage 1 + Stage 2 on my 02 GT and it still handled like a boat, even after all that cold hard cash......   Now I have seen some American Iron Series cars running less, but all of the drivers seem to have a handfull around the track.....

Plus, I think we have all seen the Top Gear where Jeremy hands the Lambo Murcielago it's ass around the twisties in a Stock Evo MR.  Not too shabby for a 30K ride.

As for S2K vs STi, both are great cars.  The real question is, do you need a back seat?

Hey stiggy, next year for pikes peak, we need to take our own ride to the summit, I nominate your car!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Heart says S2000....

Brain says STI.....

Go STI.

HH
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I don't even want to know how much coil overs were, I had the Steeda G-Trac stage 1 + Stage 2 on my 02 GT and it still handled like a boat, even after all that cold hard cash......   Now I have seen some American Iron Series cars running less, but all of the drivers seem to have a handfull around the track.....

Plus, I think we have all seen the Top Gear where Jeremy hands the Lambo Murcielago it's ass around the twisties in a Stock Evo MR.  Not too shabby for a 30K ride.

As for S2K vs STi, both are great cars.  The real question is, do you need a back seat?

Hey stiggy, next year for pikes peak, we need to take our own ride to the summit, I nominate your car!  hr

Only the first half of Pikes Peak is on-road... ETA: Thank the tree huggers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Hey stiggy, next year for pikes peak, we need to take our own ride to the summit, I nominate your car!  

That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what makes a car "fast", Mr. Mustang fan? hat

How about a 2000 Mustang GT with full coilover suspesion, Vortech T-Trim, 3.73 Gears, TKO tranny, and about to have methanol injection.  It runs around 12.1 in the quarter and loves a good road course.  Will that do?hr

Hey stiggy, next year for pikes peak, we need to take our own ride to the summit, I nominate your car!  hr

I have about 22k or so into it, including purchase price of 14,200 with 27,000 miles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Only the first half of Pikes Peak is on-road...

ETA: Thank the tree huggers.

I keep hearing that they may pave Pikes Peak all of the way Summit.....  now that would be a travisty.

Quoted:

That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

You are a woman, just for that, I am slashing your tires.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
STI.....

Before bashing, please quote correct figures.....

14's?  How about low 13's stock, if you know how to launch an AWD Turbo.

100mph+ trap...

As every redneck in high school shop class knows, you can take a $500 wholesale junker Mustang GT and run 14's with a little "creative" engineering.

Who cares?

It's still a $500 beater Mustang.

WoopieDoo.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
^^^^^damn you

Holy hell!  My 4700lb luxo-cruiser does better than that... and it runs 14s!

Total investment: Sub-$4000

The fact you used "investment" and sub-$4000 in the same sentence tells us all we need to know.

Would love to hear what used piece of shiite is 4700lbs and has a timeslip to back up 14's......
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
STI.....

Noting says, "redneck" like an F-Body.....hr

Before bashing, please quote correct figures.....

14's?  How about low 13's stock, if you know how to launch an AWD Turbo.

100mph+ trap...

As every redneck in high school shop class knows, you can take a $500 wholesale junker Mustang GT and run 14's with a little "creative" engineering.

Who cares?

It's still a $500 beater Mustang.

WoopieDoo.....hr

You have an excellent point, but I hope that you are not implying that all mustangs are "beaters"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top