Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 3:35:05 PM EDT
Getting the blood work done next week to varify.  Damn I feel old.

Update 10/5 The lab results are in, I tested postitive for the parvovirus B-19
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
k > g

eta: your edit beat my post by 3 seconds, quick you are.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
A couple of years ago I had the same situation.  Luckily, the problem seemed to fade away; my blood protein level dropped when I quit taking protein supplements.  Maybe it was coincidence, maybe not.

Dominus tecum.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
IM me for info. RA sucks donkey balls.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello mortal.

Better start really taking care of yourself if you want to avoid the world of high-priced drugs and uninsurability.

I don't think there is a cure for that stuff, but I believe you can ease the symptoms and slow down the progression.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm getting it in the "last" joint in my right thumb. I can fire the 44 mag fine but writing with a small pen/pencil is a exercise in pain.
My knees are getting bad too.
Did I mention I just turned 41
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
VTHOKIE,
Sorry to hear that.

I'll say a prayer for you.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck hope its not RA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The thing is I make my living cruising timber.  I am worried that not only will I not be able to make a living doing what I love, but I will not be able to play golf, hunt, fish or hike like I used to and I am only 28.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Vthokie,

I am not a doctor, but I have researched this a bit. You should get checked for Lyme disease, especially as you are a timber/woods guy. I would more likely think you have that, and not RA as most of the sufferers of that are women in the 30 yr or so range, it seems a bit more rare in men.

RA and Lyme disease have a few of the same symptoms.

Get checked for Lyme.

I hope you have neither, sir, truly.

Hoping for the best,

Dram
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Vthokie,

I am not a doctor, but I have researched this a bit. You should get checked for Lyme disease, especially as you are a timber/woods guy. I would more likely think you have that, and not RA as most of the sufferers of that are women in the 30 yr or so range, it seems a bit more rare in men.

Get checked for Lyme.

Hoping for the best,

Dram

I have had this problem now going on 5 years but it was limited to my knees and a few toes.  Dr. first thought it was osteoarthiritis (wear and tear) but recently I have begun to feel pain in my elbows, fingers and wrists.  The Dr. said that because I have had an assortment of anti-biotics from the sinus infections and staph infections that it would have killed the lyme bacteria.......however neither sound good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I fully expect to have issues with it when i get "older". My joints have been bothering me alot(im 20years 6'5). Growing this tall, fast, is asking for it

Fish oil...

For bad pain, something worth a try for the best next-day results(worth the effort if it offers result):
A shot of the stuff, taken after 2+hours of sleep at night, then going back to sleep. Theory is your stomach content is at is very hottest, some ~44°C. Fish oil brakes down and gets obsorbed immediately.

I take Codfish oil every day, try to eat something with it to avoid the *burp* factor, taste of rotten fish is, well . Long history of the stuff in my country, used to force feed it to school kids well into the 70's infact, IIRC.

Local Codfish stuff i use, that i dont much recommend .

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Vthokie,

Get checked for Lyme.

Hoping for the best,

Dram

I'm not a doc either - but that IS a good suggestion, I even thought (after one Neuro DXed me w/MS and the other one didn't believe it was MS - SO WTF IS IT? so we eliminated SEVERAL possibilities before I finally agreed to the spinal tap that told the tale - MS) Lymes was one we "tested" - just because the neuro didn't think it was really MS).

Quoted:
I fully expect to have issues with it when i get "older". My joints have been bothering me alot(im 20years 6'5). Growing this tall, fast, is asking for it

Fish oil...

For bad pain, something worth a try for the best next-day results(worth the effort if it offers result):
A shot of the stuff, taken after 2+hours of sleep at night, then going back to sleep. Theory is your stomach content is at is very hottest, some ~44°C. Fish oil brakes down and gets obsorbed immediately.

I take Codfish oil every day, try to eat something with it to avoid the *burp* factor, taste of rotten fish is, well . Long history of the stuff in my country, used to force feed it to school kids well into the 70's infact, IIRC.
www.lysi.is/lysi/upload/images/vorugrunnur/160x160_1122255.jpg
Local Codfish stuff i use, that i dont much recommend .

Best of luck.

Okay... I'd suggest Flax oil INSTEAD - but really, any omega 3 is GOOD. However, I am a tad alarmed at the "stomach at its hottest" bit - you DO realize that heat, light and/or oxygen turn omega 3's racid, yes? Also, do you ever have "insomnia"? If yes, it's the time at which you are taking the omega 3's as they CAN cause insomnia-like difficulty. But I CAN take some JUST before bed, if I need to wake early (I'm SO not a morning person) - as long as I don't do it frequently, and I have no trouble. But before I knew about the POSSIBLE contraindication of insomnia, I would sometimes forget to take it early, and would take it late afternoon/early evening and insomnia city - then I ran across the intel about possible insomnia. So only in AM unless I have a GOOD reason to do otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Vthokie,

Get checked for Lyme.

Hoping for the best,

Lyme.  All of the above!

Dram

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The only thing worse than getting old, is not getting old.

My best wishes to you, sir.  I'm pretty certain I'm developing arthritis of some kind myself.

And it does suck major donkey balls.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vthokie,

Get checked for Lyme.

Hoping for the best,

Lyme.  All of the above!

Dram

The docs thought my wife might have had RA, but the Rheumatologist diagnosed her with Lupus.  One more thing to watch out for.  Hang in there!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#16]
My Rhumy believes I have psoriatic arthritis.  Been taking Methotrexate for my swollen knees and it doesn't do anything.  Only having my knees drained and a steroid shot helps for 3 months.  Going to try enbrel next.  

Just buy beltfed weapons and sit on a chair while shooting...  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife has RA and Lupus and a few other inflammation related diseases. Her main symptom is extreme exhaustion. There is a lot of research dealing with inflammation and several diseases related to it. If they can cure the inflammation they could cure around 12 different diseases at one time.

I pray every day. She is currently taking weekly Enbrel injections. We do that in our home. It is painful. I hate it when she asks me to "shoot" her. It is painful for her.

I wish you the best and if you have any questions for me I would be glad to answer them.

Bob

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I pray every day. She is currently taking weekly Enbrel injections. We do that in our home. It is painful. I hate it when she asks me to "shoot" her. It is painful for her.
Bob

Has she tried the twice weekly shots of 25mg instead of the large 50mg dose?  I've heard the 50mg has a preservative in it and that is what 'hurts.'  The 25mg shots are painless.  

I actually did my first 25mg shot but then got sick a few days later and I'm waiting for my cold to go away before I restart.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#19]
We started on the "old" dose that was somewhat painless and transitioned to the larger one a week dose. We want to go back but insurance is getting in the way.

Don't get me wrong, enbrel has been a gift. It is just a painful gift.

Bob

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bob

Has she tried the twice weekly shots of 25mg instead of the large 50mg dose?  I've heard the 50mg has a preservative in it and that is what 'hurts.'  The 25mg shots are painless.  

I actually did my first 25mg shot but then got sick a few days later and I'm waiting for my cold to go away before I restart.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bob

I know how you feel about the waiting to get well goes. If my wife gets a sinus infection we have to stop all medication so her immune system can ramp up to take care of it while starting antibiotics.

Then the antibiotics induce "other" problems that have to be solved. Meanwhile while she is off her meds she becomes symptomatic with the Lupus and RA and all that entails.

After a few weeks of playing this game she can start back up with the Enbrel and we can move on with some amount of normalcy.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My Rhumy believes I have psoriatic arthritis.  Been taking Methotrexate for my swollen knees and it doesn't do anything.  Only having my knees drained and a steroid shot helps for 3 months.  Going to try enbrel next.  

Has your Dr. checked you for Gout?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Has your Dr. checked you for Gout?

Multiple times...  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#23]
your only 28 and you got RA?! your right that is young now try getting it when you were 18months in your entire body  pain is mental after a while you dont even notice it.....well unless its so bad you cant even walk or get off the coutch then its reall hard not to notice it. ive done methotrexate or how ever you spell that and it doesnt work worth a shit on me. Did the 2 injections of enbrel, worked very well and painless. Now im on the one shot of enbrela week 50mg i think i saw, works very well but it does sting a little. well hope you dont get it , id rather go to disney land
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#24]
RA is a metabolic condition affecting the joints, it is disfiguring in it's advanced stages.

Most of what has been posted here sounds like OA, osteoarthritis, an over use arthritis.

Double Doc.

MD DC

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#25]
ive had it for 20 years and ive yet to become disfigured..... a slight limp is all i have, ok one fucked up finger.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Need to get some old timey Rhumitiz Medicine.  The type that comes in mason jars, delivered by a man in a non-descript car.  j/k  There needed to be something lighthearted in here somehwere.  

Seriously, sorry to hear that.  Hope you get it figured out.  Prayin fer ya!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hello mortal.

Better start really taking care of yourself if you want to avoid the world of high-priced drugs and uninsurability.

I don't think there is a cure for that stuff, but I believe you can ease the symptoms and slow down the progression.

I've got a mild case of arthritis due to Lymes disease and probable Immune Complex. So far, I've been able to manage it with Glucosamine and Condroitin, plus hefty doses of Flax Seed oil in capsules (which has helped my good cholesterol as well)...I can tell if I forget to take the supplements for a couple days, as the pain kicks in again.

The doc hasn't been much help, so I just have to live with it. Arthritis at age 40 sucks, let me tell you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Well I just got back from the MD.  After a exam he thinks that I might have; 1) a virus that attacks joints that will go away after a few weeks 2) Lyme diseas 3)Lupus.  He also said the swelling of my big toe that occurs from time to time is gout.  He is pretty sure that what I have is just a virus because it came on so quicky and I have minimal swelling.  Anyway he said that I will feel normal again and if it is lupus or lyme he said he can treat it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well I just got back from the MD.  After a exam he thinks that I might have; 1) a virus that attacks joints that will go away after a few weeks 2) Lyme diseas 3)Lupus.  He also said the swelling of my big toe that occurs from time to time is gout.  He is pretty sure that what I have is just a virus because it came on so quicky and I have minimal swelling.  Anyway he said that I will feel normal again and if it is lupus or lyme he said he can treat it.  

Yes I went through something very similar a while back.

One way to tell is that RA tends to be mirrored on boith sides of the body; in other words if you have pain and inflammation in left knee joint you'll have it in the right.

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I went through something very similar a while back.

One way to tell is that RA tends to be mirrored on boith sides of the body; in other words if you have pain and inflammation in left knee joint you'll have it in the right.

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

Yeah I have that but the problem is that EVERY joint from my little finger to my hip hurts without swelling and because it happened overnight he has rulled out RA which is a load off my mind.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#31]
How many root canals do you have? Serious question.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yeah I have that but the problem is that EVERY joint from my little finger to my hip hurts without swelling and because it happened overnight he has rulled out RA which is a load off my mind.

Inflamation is likely the "cause" regardless what the DX comes down to. Good luck w/it, were I you, and know what I do, I'd eat a whole FRESH pineapple/week, INCLUDING the core, (contains bromelain, a VERY good anti-inflamatory w/o "side effects". And get on one of the omega 3's, being frougal, I'd probably STILL do the Nature's Bounty Flax(seed) oil and get 1 bottle then wait for the  Buy 1 get 1 free sale to "stock up". Whatever, good luck w/it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#34]
bump

See post on top of first page.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Parvo?

Does this mean you need to be put down? Is your nose still cold and wet?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Okay, so what does that mean?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

No offense, VTHOKIESHOOTER - I only thought Parvoviruses were something dogs got (j/k)
But apparently, about half of the US population has been infected by parvovirus B-19 and infection results in life-long immunity. That's the GOOD news.

In adults, aspirin may help with the joint pain. But I'd go for a good anti-inflamatory... asprin's not BAD but REALLY, I'd be more inclined to go get a whole FRESH pineapple (canned doesn't retain the bromelain - only the fresh fruit) cut it THIN, LEAVING the core - 15m-1hr it's nearly as soft as the rest of the flesh - and that's the part that contains the bromelain - which is the part that will help w/the joint pain.

Also another thing - try to eat some shiitake mushrooms for the next week or two, as they contain a substance that is a better anti-viral than most prescription anti-virals. They stimulate the body to produce and release more interferons - which got their name because they "interfere" w/viral reproduction.

Unless you have a "compromised" immune system, you should be fine, eventually - but the above sggestions will not hurt - and will likely HELP. Also, I'd get on the omega 3's - at LEAST for a while because tthis is gonna mess w/your immune system pretty fierce, the omega's will at least HELP stave off some of the ravaging.

Just FYI, ICYDK: In its natural course, the infection is airborne. Parvoviruses are small (30nm - parvum = small), naked icosahedral DNA viruses with a single DNA strand of about 5kB. The packaged DNA may be either sense (same as the mRNA) or anti-sense. The two forms are packaged in about equal proportions. Replication of the virus requires that the host cell be undergoing DNA replication (that is, in S phase) yet unlike many other viruses, they cannot initiate cell DNA synthesis. This means that parvoviruses are restricted to the dividing cells of the body such as the erythropoietic and immune systems.

After infection the single strand DNA enters the nucleus where host cell repair enzymes convert it to double stranded DNA. There are three promoters from which host cell RNA polymerase makes three transcripts that have different 5' ends but the same 3' end. There is also RNA splicing so that several proteins of related sequence result. The virus makes a replication enzyme but this is not a polymerase. It cleaves the DNA closed circle to make the single strand genomic DNA.

The human parvovirus B19 is different from the parvoviruses which cause problems in cats and dogs. Humans appear to be the only natural host for human parvoviruses. In dogs, a parvovirus can cause severe disease. Feline panleukopenia in cats is caused by a parvovirus and can cause mortality as a result of immune system destruction.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does a human get parvovirus and how does it mess up humans?
Only cause I never heard of a human getting it before
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does a human get parvovirus and how does it mess up humans?
Only cause I never heard of a human getting it before

As I noted upstream, it's typically airborne. In immune deficient people - it can be bad. In healthy folks - messes w/the joints - pretty painful (as VTHOKIESHOOTER mentioned earlier). There's more info in my last post, but you can "page up" for that - this is the very condensed version
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have two and I'm curious about why you ask.  ???

Jim
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Also another thing - try to eat some shiitake mushrooms for the next week or two, as they contain a substance that is a better anti-viral than most prescription anti-virals.

Hey Kacer, do those shitake mushrooms need to be raw, cooked lightly, or can they be cooked normally?

My exotic mushroom knowledge extends to grilling portabella caps, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance...  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also another thing - try to eat some shiitake mushrooms for the next week or two, as they contain a substance that is a better anti-viral than most prescription anti-virals.

Hey Kacer, do those shitake mushrooms need to be raw, cooked lightly, or can they be cooked normally?

My exotic mushroom knowledge extends to grilling portabella caps, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance...  

They don't loose their "umph" w/ cooking - so as you like - I put them is soups, stir-fry - whatever. I'm sure if you "Google" shiitake recipe you'll get plenty iof ideas.

When I FIRST as recovering from the MS (first 2-3 years) I KINDA had to "watch it" (1-4oz can 3x max. per week) because they pump up the bodies capacity to produce ALL of the interferons - and Alpha and Beta are GOOD to alleviate the MS problems, but GAMMA makes it all worse. (I'm THINKING that's because they are pro-inflamatory??? - but that's purely a guess) so 3 cans/week = felt better, MORE than 3/week and I felt worse.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I'd like to know why you ask this as well.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#44]
sense i do have RA can i get pot to heal me? im for reals though cause my insurance will pay for it  and it will save me more than a little cash
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
sense i do have RA can i get pot to heal me? im for reals though cause my insurance will pay for it  and it will save me more than a little cash

Err... no?  But if you take flax oil and bromelain - it'll probably help A LOT. Actually, the pot might "help" some, in that you won't CARE you're in pain. I doubt that "counts" though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#46]
ive had RA all my life and ive never heard of flax oil and that other stuff. Work good ? if so i might have to give it a go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
ive had RA all my life and ive never heard of flax oil and that other stuff. Work good ? if so i might have to give it a go.

Well, they've only KNOWN of the EXISTANCE of omega 3's for like... 25-30 years? And they haven't really paid much "attention" to it until the last 15, and only really SERIOUSLY for like the last 3-5 years.

Yes. I have MS, and was bedridden (2001) and had 20/1000 vision in my right eye, was told by MDs (neuros) I'd NEVER see better out of it than 20/1000... It's 20/40 now. The bromelain is specific to BAD inflamation, and RA applies, though I only use it on occasion for the MS. And the flax oil, be SURE you get EITHER Nature's Bounty brand OR Puritan's Pride brand, as, to my knowledge, these are the ONLY 2 company labels that protect the oil from the elements that can destroy them (heat, light and oxygen). And still have a decent price.

Here's a couple of links:

Bromelain

High Lignan Flax Oil

Give it at LEAST 3 months to do NOTICEABLE stuff, but the improvements will, likely be minimal, but noticeable. You should see decnet results by 6 months - and a year! Big time. (IME).

Here's a link to a thread here where you can read about the experiences of others. (Mostly w/the flax, sorta with the bromelain - but not for RA - but other auto-immune diseases).

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=71&t=335504

Can't HURT. Just remember to take the flax in the AM (long way off from sleeping, as it CAN cause insomnia if taken too late). and to take the bromelain w/a meal. Keep in mind that the flax thins the blood, so if you are on ANY blood-thining meds, check w/the doc before starting it. And the bromelain is a powerful anti-inflamatory and a digestive aid (a digestive enzyme).

Try it for a year. play around w/the doseage some. I typically do 2G/day during non-allergy months. 4 to 8G/day during allergy months (depending on how I feel).

Bromelain, 1 500mg/day should be fine. But of course, you can play w/that some too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top