Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 6:55:29 AM EDT
I'm going to the 49ers Colts game in Sanfransisco and wondered if you guys know anything fun or cool to see or do????
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Alcatraz is cool to visit.
Riding the cable cars and checking out Chinatown and Little Italy.
Lots of good food on Polk
Check out the hippies at Haight & Ashbury
And there's a lot to do at the Wharf.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy bead jewelry from the "undocumented vendors" at Fisherman's Wharf.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
First:  Don't use the word "Frisco" in SF, they don't take kindly to it.

There's lots of good stuff to do.  

Walk up Nob Hill and see Grace Cathedral.  Chinatown is always fun.  
The Palace of Fine Arts is an amazing relic from the World Fair many years ago, and it has the Exploratorium attached to it.  
The piers have a lot to see.  On the southwest end of the piers they have a bunch of old boats docked that you can tour (old steamers and sailboats).  

Also, at the end of the piers there's a naval museum.  For a fee you can tour an old submarine they have docked there.

Then there's the Presidio.  There's an incredible military cemetary there.  Also, if you drive through the Presidio you can see Fort Point at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge, assuming they have it open.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Y

M

C

A

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link to last week's version of this thread.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, if you have time and means of transportation, you can cross the Golden Gate and go north about 60+ miles to Bodega Bay, the place where they filmed Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds".
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Enjoy the homeless encounters every 5 minutes or 200 feet (which ever comes first).  Avoid leaving anything in you car or else a smash and grab team will clean you out with amazing efficiency.  Watch the valets VERY CLOSELY, they love to ask you for ID then swipe your wallet right out of your hands.  

Have a great time!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Eat at Scoma's on the pier.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're into botany at all, the Golden Gate Park has some awesome stuff, like the Conservatory of Flowers, Japanese Tea Garden, and Botanical Garden.

Across from the Conservatory of Flowers they have a small forest of ferns that are so big you'll feel like you just stepped into the Jurasic period.  You'd half expect dinosours to be around.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Hit CASTRO!

And don't forget your Gold G string, fr00t!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Have lunch or dinner at Pier 39 and walk around. There is a WWII sub you can visit, an old whaling ship and other stuff to see there.

If you have kids with you, go see the Exploratorium.

Walking around Chinatown can be interesting.

Golden Gate park has an excellent art museum, if you are into that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow. I thought you were taslking about 'Frisco, Texas.'

A far, far different place than San Fran.

I understand that it's National Talk Like a Butt Pirate Day every day in San Francisco.

Sorry, if you are straight and happen to live in that City.

Eric The(Straighter'nMoses)Hun

Eric,

I'm about as straight as Moses (is it possible to be straighter?), and I think that SF is a terrific place...to visit.  I could never live there, but a visit now and then is wonderful.

Oh, somiskid, if you plan on having a car to get around, make sure to bring about $10 in quarters.  You'll need them for the curb meters.  Also, make sure to get a map and plot out your course before you try driving it.  Lots of one way streets in SF.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Have lunch or dinner at Pier 39 and walk around. There is a WWII sub you can visit, an old whaling ship and other stuff to see there.

If you have kids with you, go see the Exploratorium.

Walking around Chinatown can be interesting.

Golden Gate park has an excellent art museum, if you are into that.

Just check to make sure that the art museum is open at the Golden Gate Park before you go there.  I think that they're doing renovations or something.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm going to the 49ers Colts game in Sanfransisco and wondered if you guys know anything fun or cool to see or do????

EAT! Depending on where you are from in CA you might not get a real good seleciton of ethnic cuisine. If thats true, then you should get a Zagats guide and eat at restuarants whose ethnicity you've never encountered before.  And I don;t mean chinese buffets either.  Try an Ethiopian place or a Persian place,  or  Argentinia.   Like the checkers commericials say,  "You gotta eat".   Why not travel the world through via gastrononmy?  

Ps. Don't go to "Bath Houses" for a quick shower, sh!t and shave unless youre feeling like you want to go "around the world" in another sense.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Another straight guy here who really LOVED the trip to SF I took in 2001. In fact, I returned from there the day before 9/11! I am heading down to San Jose next month and would love to get back up to SF. Seems like it might be a pain transportation-wise though to get that far. I checked the scedules and it was going to be a bus AND train trip to get the 45 miles North to SF from SJ.

Anyways... another vote for Chinatown. And the Union Square area is cool. Peir 39 is great and I plan to get there in October. Good stuff. Fun to visit... but wouldn't wanna live there for anything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#18]
If you have the time and a car - a couple of places not yet mentioned;  the USS Hornet Museum www.uss-hornet.org/ across the SF bay in Alameda and the restored Nike missle site www.nps.gov/goga/nike/ across the Golden Gate bridge in Marin.  I would plan on spending at least a 1/2 day for any of the above.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Start a war demonstration at UC-Berkley
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Go to 479 Ross Alley, great little bar.  Or you can go to the Nautilus down at Pier 39, for a very classy reasonably priced restaurant.  If you happen to be down at the Marina near the Presidio, watch all the yummy women joggers jogging around the nearby yacht club.  Ah damn, wish I was back there right now.

Go to Baker Beach, see if they still have the nudist area.  See stuff there that is hard to believe.

Just don't get stuck in the Baker Barry tunnel, if it's still as bad as it used to be, with frequent traffic light outages...

MournSword
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#21]
if you go to chinatown and would like some authentic Chinese food, I would recommend the

Hong Kong Clay Pot City restaraunt

New Wooey Gooey restaurant

Kam Lok Seafood Restaurant

DPD Restaurant

I liked those restaurants

the Golden Gate Bakery 1029 Grant ave. in chinatown is the best Chinese bakery in town, they're
is always a line of people trying to get in.

the Golden Gate bakery makes the best egg custard tarts
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Larry Flynt's strip club
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Maritime museum is nice if you like old ships.
Fort Point is a civil war era fort UNDER the end of the Golden Gate bridge.
Goldengate park is nice especially the west end.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Hit pier 39, the metreon, and just wander.

Enjoy.

Damn...I miss home.

John
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#25]
if you go downtown around Market & Powell or the Tenderloin it feels like your in a mini New York city, panhandelers, homeless, crazy people, pimps, etc, reminds me of the movie "Taxi Driver"
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh, I thought you actually meant Frisco.  Up in the mountains near Breckenridge.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#27]
If you a history buff, there are neat forts all around the bay to visit.  

If you go to Battery Chaimberlain at baker Beach near the Presidio, they have an old coastal 6" artillery "pop-up" gun they do a demonstration of every Saturday. It is pretty impressive.

I would also recommend Fort Baker on the Sausalito side of the Golden Gate Bridge.  It has a great view of the city, the bridge and you can walk up to the old coastal artillery battery on the cliffs and have a picnic or just enjoy the sea air and view.  

You can see a good panorama of the fort here:
virtualguidebooks.com/NorthCalif/MarinNorthBay/FtBakerLimePt/FortBakerBatteryL.html

NorCal
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Pack up and get the fuc|( out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#29]
What do you do if you drop your keys while in San Francisco?  Kick them across the bridge to Oakland!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#30]
If you haven't seen redwoods, and you have a day or so, you should really see them. Most spectacular trees on the planet. Muir Woods has some and is reasonably close. www.sftravel.com/muirwoodssanfrancisco.html

San Francisco has a lot of places where it is interesting to just walk around. Catch a ride on the cable cars to help out.

You might also want to take historical note of the places around town that will mention the Emperor Norton. San Francisco is the only city in America that ever had an officially recognized emperor.

www.sfmuseum.org/hist1/norton.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#31]

And to top it off, I only read the thread title!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top