Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 7:51:42 PM EDT
i just converted a room in my rental house to a home studio.  it is totally sealed off from the outside world with no window and an airtight door.  With the blankets and things on the well, it gets hot as hell in there and the fan just aint getting the job done.  What suggestions do you guys have to cool this place down a bit?  All of the AC units i see online require some sort of window to vent, and i can't do any cutting so a vent is pretty much not an option.  any ideas before I burn up?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
invest in a walking freezer

hehe

you could always get another fan or "make" some ventilation
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I can imagine it gets as hot as a toaster. You either have to draw the warm air out and/or cool the room off, obviously. I would think you would need to run duct work, probably not possible in your case. I have seen portable AC's that do not require a link to the outside, I don't think that would be sufficient enough though.

ETA; www.portablecooling.com/
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You absolutely cannot removed heat from a closed system.  You need some kind of vent or duct or heat piping to get the heat out.  An A/C running inside a thermally closed volume will put out more heat than it removes from the air.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Get what is called a mitsubishi split system.

Here is the info. www.mrslim.com/Products/Category.asp?ProductCategoryID=7

ETA- You only need a 2" hole to the outside for the refrigeration pipes. It is sealed afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, the evaporative coolers linked above are no exception.  They cool dry air by evaporating water in it (an cooling process), but they stop working once you've humidified all the air in the closed room.  Then it's just hot & muggy.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You can get a room size heat pump that installs by hanging the evaporator on the wall, drill a couple of holes big enough for the hoses, and hang the compressor/condensor unit on the other side of the wall.

I think Mitsubishi made the one I saw.

ETA:ZW17 beat me to it!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ETA- You only need a 2" hole to the outside for the refrigeration pipes. It is sealed afterwards.

Something like this is probably the best solution.  You need to pipe heat out somehow, and this is the least intrusive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Now wouldn't an A/C unit's constant whirr kinda defeat the purpose of no artificial noise?

Central air dude! with a return vent in your studio room.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

These are great units and the only way you are going to get around holes in your walls for ductwork.  The only drawback is that they are more expensive than window units.  If you search for "ductless mini split" you will find their are other brands that are out there in addition to the "mr slim" brand by Mitsubishi.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Now wouldn't an A/C unit's constant whirr kinda defeat the purpost of no artificial noise?

Central air dude! with a return vent in your studio room.

Exactly, so what kind of studio you have?
Every sound studio for cutting audio I've ever been in has always been kinda warm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top