Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 7:46:14 PM EDT
I want to surprising the wife with a trip to Ireland in the spring. I went on family vacations to Ireland with my parents when I was a kid, for about five years in a row. Both my parents were born in Ireland.  I have A LOT of relatives their, but shortly after both my parents passed away, I have not had much contact with the relatives. Last time I spoke to any of them was when the World Trade Center was struck(we lived in NY at the time), they called us to see if we were okay. We will visit them, but don't want to stay at there houses, kinda awkward after all these years.

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a place to stay? Aer Lingus has vac. packages, wonder how they are.

BTW, northern Ireland is where I'm interested in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not renew contact with your relatives?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife is from Derry and I have been to the North five times.  If you go to Derry, which I highly recomend, stay at the Tower Hotel.  It's a very nice hotel in a great location within the city walls.  If you are going to Belfast, stay at the Europa.  It is also a very nice hotel in a great location.  The downside to the Europa is that it is the most bombed hotel in the world  With all of the crap going on in Belfast, I'd stay with Derry, Ireland's third largest city, or small towns like Bushmills, portrush, and the other costal towns.  

Europa

Tower Hotel Derry
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why not renew contact with your relatives?

Well, that's the plan when I get there. We will stay for two weeks, so, as soon as I arrive, I will call them and arrange to make contact. I just don't want to call them now and say, we're coming, make room. A little awkward in any case.

But, yeah, I definitely want to see them again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, we went to the southern area of Ireland in '99.  I read that your interested in the norhtern areas...but I thought I'd throw out my experience to see if it helps any.

We stayed for 7 nights, all at different bed and breakfasts.  We did not book them in advnce, insetad around 2-3 pm, we'd go to a tourist info center, and ask them to book us one.  We always had somewhere to stay, often times they found one with their first phone call.

Lots of cool castles to see...it's very pretty and green there (greener than anywhere I've seen in america, and I've been to 40 of the 50 states).

Oh, and if your into the Blarny stone...I've heard from the locals that the actual stone was removed from the castle, and replaced with a "copy."  The natives like to spit and tinkle on the fake one at night.  Just a thought incase you decide you want to kiss it.

Erik Johnson
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
B&B and country Farmhouses is the way to go!!
i use vouchers, look through the brouchure they give you, or look on the internet, and pick your farmhouses!!!
I picked  farmhouses exclusivley because the breakfasts are so fresh.
you get much better service most of the time, and have a much more personal experience.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My wife is from Derry and I have been to the North five times.  If you go to Derry, which I highly recomend, stay at the Tower Hotel.  It's a very nice hotel in a great location within the city walls.  If you are going to Belfast, stay at the Europa.  It is also a very nice hotel in a great location.  The downside to the Europa is that it is the most bombed hotel in the world  With all of the crap going on in Belfast, I'd stay with Derry, Ireland's third largest city, or small towns like Bushmills, portrush, and the other costal towns.  

Europa

Tower Hotel Derry

Thanks!

I know, I have to be careful of were we stay, because of the "trouble". That's one reason why I'm asking for recommendations. When I was there in the early '80's, it was REALLY bad there. At least a dozen times, we were pulled out of our cars and told to lay in the ditches by the British soldiers. We were told of horror stories of people being executed in the ditches by the soldiers and IRA. They even stormed my grandmothers farmhouse, where we were staying, in the middle of the night. So at 14 years old, I was scared shit. But, I here it's not like that anymore, we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
heeres the link.

www.townandcountry.ie/
Ive turned  alot of people onto this route, and all were very happy, even a couple who have visited Eire multiple times, and they said this way was so much different, and enjoyed the culture much more than a hotel.
be a traveler, not a tourist.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, we went to the southern area of Ireland in '99.  I read that your interested in the norhtern areas...but I thought I'd throw out my experience to see if it helps any.

We stayed for 7 nights, all at different bed and breakfasts.  We did not book them in advnce, insetad around 2-3 pm, we'd go to a tourist info center, and ask them to book us one.  We always had somewhere to stay, often times they found one with their first phone call.

Lots of cool castles to see...it's very pretty and green there (greener than anywhere I've seen in america, and I've been to 40 of the 50 states).

Oh, and if your into the Blarny stone...I've heard from the locals that the actual stone was removed from the castle, and replaced with a "copy."  The natives like to spit and tinkle on the fake one at night.  Just a thought incase you decide you want to kiss it.

Erik Johnson

I did hear that a long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
heeres the link.

www.townandcountry.ie/
Ive turned  alot of people onto this route, and all were very happy, even a couple who have visited Eire multiple times, and they said this way was so much different, and enjoyed the culture much more than a hotel.
be a traveler, not a tourist.

Beauty!  That's the type of info. I'm lookin for. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Call up Judge John Roberts.  I hear he's pretty busy now, but he owns a timeshare of a cottage in Ireland so maybe you can just rent that from him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Europa

Tower Hotel Derry

Thanks!

I know, I have to be careful of were we stay, because of the "trouble". That's one reason why I'm asking for recommendations. When I was there in the early '80's, it was REALLY bad there. At least a dozen times, we were pulled out of our cars and told to lay in the ditches by the British soldiers. We were told of horror stories of people being executed in the ditches by the soldiers and IRA. They even stormed my grandmothers farmhouse, where we were staying, in the middle of the night. So at 14 years old, I was scared shit. But, I here it's not like that anymore, we'll see.

Palmer, I'd stay the hell out of Belfast if I were you...the loyalists have been on a rampage (literally) lately, in case you haven't heard that.  And why would you...it's not like papers over here would EVER report on violence in Northern Ireland that's not perpetrated by the IRA.  

Here's an interesting article on the background of what happened last week:
www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=TOM%20MCGURK-qqqs=commentandanalysis-qqqid=8027

Derry might be ok, but in all honesty, I think I'd stick to the Republic right now.  Given the crisis within Unionism right now, you never know when the crazy fu**ers will start the shit up again...it could be next week.  

Where are your relatives in the North, btw?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Europa

Tower Hotel Derry

My wife is from Derry too, Limavady actually! Where's your wife from?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]
IF you decide on Derry, I highly recommend the Everglades Hotel. I had my wedding reception there, and stayed in a suite Klinton stayed in when he visited Northern Ireland. Outstanding. Right outside Derry City.

Hastings Everglades Hotel

Regarding the Aer Lingus packages, you're far better off doing your own little investigation online and plotting things out on your own. Cheaper, and you'll be able to stay where you want for however long you want.

If you have any specific questions about Derry or the North in general, ask away. My wife is here next to me all day as we're both off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
A couple of my favorite places are in western Ireland--western Co Galway and Co Mayo (aka the Connemara) and Co Clare (aka The Burren).  Also a visit to the Aryan Islands is fun.  Galway City is supposed to be a pretty happening place these days.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Europa

Tower Hotel Derry

Thanks!

Palmer, I'd stay the hell out of Belfast if I were you...the loyalists have been on a rampage (literally) lately, in case you haven't heard that.  And why would you...it's not like papers over here would EVER report on violence in Northern Ireland that's not perpetrated by the IRA.  

Here's an interesting article on the background of what happened last week:
www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=TOM%20MCGURK-qqqs=commentandanalysis-qqqid=8027

Derry might be ok, but in all honesty, I think I'd stick to the Republic right now.  Given the crisis within Unionism right now, you never know when the crazy fu**ers will start the shit up again...it could be next week.  

Where are your relatives in the North, btw?  

I didn't plan on staying their. I definitely want to visit Belfast, but won't want to stay their.

Well there are ALOT of relatives their, but mainly in and around Newtownhamilton.

Real interesting article, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#16]
If Ireland is anything like Scotland, just find a B&B.  In Scotland there were literally two-five B&B every couple miles on major routes and single track routes.

Apparently, it's THE way to do UK/Scotland.  Check it out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I found this, a thread of mine with lots of pics from when I took a vacation in the North. Enjoy.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=345741
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top