Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 1:35:05 PM EDT
Trying to find some reference somewhere about this gun. I'm betting one of you guys can find something on the web about it. All I know is it was made by Julien Leroy in the early 1800's and it supposedly fired exploding projectiles.

UPDATE: It's breech loading and uses a percussion cap with hammer. A complicated lever system unlocks the breech, which you then just twist the forward and rearward sections to expose the breech. The barrel is browned Damascus steel.

Link To Numerous Pictures

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
A wooden barrel yet....lends new meaning to the term 'bangstick' no?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a match-lock action?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Looks more like copper, brass, or bronze to me.

ETA:  After looking at all the pics in the link, I'll bet it's a wooden barrel with a thin metal jacket inside.

Could it be some kind of flare gun?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
WoodSoft?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

UPDATE: It's breech loading and uses a percussion cap with hammer. A complicated lever system unlocks the breech, which you then just twist the forward and rearward sections to expose the breech. The barrel is browned Damascus steel.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think it is a rifle.  It may be a French guild gun.  Side-break breach.  Best way to ID and get answers is from the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Email Jim Scoutten, He knows everything
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds overly complicated.

Does it function?  (Not firing, but all the levers and thingies)

It all works. It's in new condition mechanically and very tight. I don't think it's ever been fired.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Damascus steel has a wood grain type pattern when givin an acid bath.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Done. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask here -
www.americanlongrifles.com/american-longrifles-BBS-frame.htm

If one of the regulars doesn't know, then my guess is that it's not a gun.  [That's a joke, for those readers missing a humor gene.]

I'm wondering if it is a line shooting gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Done. Thanks!

Here's the response from Jim:

Since it's French, and one of only 10?  It's not likely to turn up in any readily available books.  Obviously you already know the gun maker, from the tag on the stock.

Looks like one of those dead end alleys that firearms research and development frequently runs down... and then abandons.

The value will be in the eye of the potential collector.  There's no market of trades to base the value on from other guns of the type trading at auction or between collectors.  

If you can, try looking for some research books on early French firearms.  That would require a very large book store or library.

Jim

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

does it break open to load by turning the barrel part behind the crome and before the hammer?

wasn't long ago they had it on American shooter.
Can't recall the name

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Duh. It's gun Al Pacino used in Heat.  

R.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Appears to be an early prototype of plasma-rifle in the 40 watt range...

Sheep
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Give it a camo paint job, that'll fix her right up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:14:47 AM EDT
[#18]
dont know what it is but I'll give ya $10 fer it!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:18:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Is this the same guy? He was a little before the 1800's though. Perhaps it was an 18th Century weapon.

Julien Le Roy (1686-1759) was regarded by his contemporaries, as perhaps the most influential horologist of his era. He was a superb craftsman, a scholar who contributed the section on horology to the Encyclopédie, and was eulogized by Voltaire as the man responsible for the 18th century pre eminence of French clock making.

Take a look here and see what you think. He was a master craftsman of his day and here's a piece he made during Louis XV time...

Julien Leroy...Louis XV ormolu cartel clock 1748
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is this the same guy? He was a little before the 1800's though. Perhaps it was an 18th Century weapon.

Julien Le Roy (1686-1759) was regarded by his contemporaries, as perhaps the most influential horologist of his era. He was a superb craftsman, a scholar who contributed the section on horology to the Encyclopédie, and was eulogized by Voltaire as the man responsible for the 18th century pre eminence of French clock making.

Take a look here and see what you think. He was a master craftsman of his day and here's a piece he made during Louis XV time...

Julien Leroy...Louis XV ormolu cartel clock 1748

Good work! Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top