Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 11:03:25 AM EDT
Hey all,
I went to Dick's sporting goods to day to fart around.  Anyway, I came upon a "Stack On Elite" safe they had for sale.  1400 degree protection, Electronic Lock, 36 gun capacity (big sumbitch) for $799.  Anyone know anything about the more expensive "Stack On" safes?  I was looking at the Sam's Club safe, but now I'm not sure...

Rich
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#1]
When I think safes, I think about the weight. An 80 pound unit (like some eBay ones I've seen)isn't enough steel.  Someone with a buddy could push it over I think, tearing the steel from the floor hold downs. I think they are built more like a gym locker is.  I want one of the 600# SOB's. 36 longguns is huge though. If I was going to use one of them I would build it into an armory type room behind a false wall or something.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#2]
This "Stack On" is about 800lbs.  This isn't one of the "regular" Stack-On safes.  Those I know are pretty much crap.  This is unlike any other Stack On I've ever seen though.

r
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]
That is more like it. Got a link?

Rob
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Well,
I just checked Dick's website and they don't have the model on there (only up to the 20 gun size).  It's in the flyer this week though.  Shit I just checked and it's not even on Stack-On's website, it's specially made for Dick's.  It's sorta like this model, but can hold 36 guns...

www.stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_safes/gsd-819.html

R
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I just looked at the same one today at a Dick's in VA.  It was pretty heavy but I could rock it back and forth.  I could knock it over but I wouldn't be able to move it without somebody else's help.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just looked at the same one today at a Dick's in VA.  It was pretty heavy but I could rock it back and forth.  I could knock it over but I wouldn't be able to move it without somebody else's help.

Also consider that in the stores they have 'em resting on a pallet (usually) and they're easier to rock that way.  What did you think of it?

R
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Also consider that in the stores they have 'em resting on a pallet (usually) and they're easier to rock that way. What did you think of it?

This one was on the floor.  

I seemed like a pretty good deal.  The $800 safe had the electronic lock, the $600 didn't and was about 6" less wide.  I don't know too much about electronic locks but I would feel better with the standard combo lock.

I only have 13 long guns and 7 pistols so I could get away with the smaller one which holds 16 long guns.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#8]
You know even those "crap" StackOn gun cabinets are better than nothing....I have two "somewhere" in the house...no they're not that hard to find but they're not in the typical bedroom closet locations.  Plus both are lag bolted into studs with four 4"3/8 diameter bolts.  I'ld like to see anyone pull this away from the wall in a hurry!  It'd be a real bitch to take the cabinet, and even those metal hinges and three locks aren't quick and easy to pry open.

But compared to those he-man fireproof safes.....no contest.

I did check out those new Elite StackOn safes at Dicks and they looked decent for the $.  I saw a very nice Winchester safe at Sam's Club a month ago or so for $999 being clearanced for $699.  Almost bought it...but I've had the giant 500+lb safe and would rather have a cheapie deterant safe...although the fire rating is a big draw I agree...

My .02$....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top