Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 6:08:24 AM EDT
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/16/AR2005091601286_pf.html

The Associated Press
Friday, September 16, 2005; 11:39 PM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A university student from Egypt was ordered held without bond after prosecutors said they found a pilot's uniform, chart of Memphis International Airport and a DVD titled "How an Airline Captain Should Look and Act" in his apartment.

The FBI is investigating whether Mahmoud Maawad, 29, had any connection to terrorists. He is awaiting trial on charges of wire fraud and fraudulent use of a Social Security number.

Maawad, who is in the United States illegally, told the judge during a hearing Thursday that he is studying science and economics at the University of Memphis.

"My school is everything. I stay in this country for seven years; I stay for the school," he said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Parker said Thursday that the airport-related items were found during a Sept. 9 search.

"The specific facts and circumstances are scary," Parker said.

U.S. Magistrate Judge S. Thomas Anderson ruled that Maawad be held without bond.

"It is hard for the court to understand why he has a large concentration of those (aviation) items, and nothing else to indicate Mr. Maawad plans to stay in the community," Anderson said.

Maawad had ordered $3,000 in aviation materials, including DVDs titled "Ups and Downs of Takeoffs and Landings," "Airplane Talk," "Mental Math for Pilots" and "Mastering GPS Flying," FBI agent Thad Gulczynski testified.

The company reported Maawad to authorities when he didn't pay for $2,500 of merchandise it had delivered, Gulczynski said.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#1]
...and this is one they're ctually telling us about...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Studying economics and science?

Yeah.
"How to put the US economy into recession by striking key infrastructure" and "How to blow up key instrastructure targets with airplanes"

Theres a movie that would be very fitting for this.... "Hang'em High"
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably just trying to pick up stewardesses. I'm sure that's it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/16/AR2005091601286_pf.html

The Associated Press
Friday, September 16, 2005; 11:39 PM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A university student from Egypt was ordered held without bond after prosecutors said they found a pilot's uniform, chart of Memphis International Airport and a DVD titled "How an Airline Captain Should Look and Act" in his apartment.

The FBI is investigating whether Mahmoud Maawad, 29, had any connection to terrorists. He is awaiting trial on charges of wire fraud and fraudulent use of a Social Security number.

Maawad, who is in the United States illegally, told the judge during a hearing Thursday that he is studying science and economics at the University of Memphis.

"My school is everything. I stay in this country for seven years; I stay for the school," he said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Parker said Thursday that the airport-related items were found during a Sept. 9 search.

U.S. Magistrate Judge S. Thomas Anderson ruled that Maawad be held without bond.

"It is hard for the court to understand why he has a large concentration of those (aviation) items, and nothing else to indicate Mr. Maawad plans to stay in the community," Anderson said.

Maawad had ordered $3,000 in aviation materials, including DVDs titled "Ups and Downs of Takeoffs and Landings," "Airplane Talk," "Mental Math for Pilots" and "Mastering GPS Flying," FBI agent Thad Gulczynski testified.

The company reported Maawad to authorities when he didn't pay for $2,500 of merchandise it had delivered, Gulczynski said.

Sounds familiar, no?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]
hopefully the company that was selling the books and flying literature, sends a list of all their sales to the folks looking to ferret these bastards out. Might even be run by our inteligence as a scam to catch these bastards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:33:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

chart of Memphis International Airport

he is studying science and economics at the University of Memphis.

Whoop.  There it is!  "When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight."

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#8]
The ACLU should be stepping up pretty soon to protect the 'rights' of this illegal alien.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#10]
just wondering why the other thread was locked on this. As to the article not surprised.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#11]
This is one the ACLU will jump on because:  you can fill in the rest!
He liked the uniforms.
So I used another persons SSI number.  Hell, they weren't using it.
Feel free to add your own.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Stuff like this makes me worry.  Of course he is here illegally, but what if he had a valid student visa?

This worries me:

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A university student from Arizona was ordered held without bond after prosecutors said they found an assault rifle, a soldier's uniform (BDU's), map of Memphis and a book titled field stripping an M-16 in his apartment.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#13]
He'll probably be released, unharmed, unsodomized in about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
hopefully the company that was selling the books and flying literature, sends a list of all their sales to the folks looking to ferret these bastards out. Might even be run by our inteligence as a scam to catch these bastards.

Yes, and hopefully, all the gun dealers and manufacturers in the US send the government lists of people who buy their stuff too, so they can catch these bastards
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Soooooo, a company sells a $2500 Jihad-by-Aircraft kit to somebody named "Mahmoud Maawad," and they only report him to the feds when he stiffs them?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#16]
If he doesn't need that uniform anymore, mine is getting a little worn out...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#17]
De nut that fucker and drop him off in a herd of goats. Pure hell for him.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Shouldn't the title of this thread actually read "Muslim Student Arrested After Pilot Uniform Found" or even "Illegal Alien Arrested After Pilot Uniform Found"???

Please don't fall into the PC trap of having to sanitize the story lest you offend a particular ethnic group &/or religion that is hell bent on doing us harm.      
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#19]
he's trying to cash bogus checks like in "Catch me if you can"
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Jesus, what a moron...  It's scary to think that without this private company's action, what this fucker would have done

Way to go CIA/FBI/Immigration/etc...

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#21]
sorry but Dupe.

ETA: He's been here illegally since before 9\11?? How hard is it for ICE to pull every entry visa of muslims who entered but seem to have never left?? Then just go down the list hunting down each one and expelling them??????????
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#22]
29 year old Middle Eastern "student"???
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
sorry but Dupe.

ETA: He's been here illegally since before 9\11?? How hard is it for ICE to pull every entry visa of muslims who entered but seem to have never left?? Then just go down the list hunting down each one and expelling them??????????

How was he able to enroll in a school? Bullshit, pure bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Stuff like this makes me worry.  Of course he is here illegally, but what if he had a valid student visa?

"What if's" open up an awful lot of speculation. Doesn't seem to apply here, since he is in the country illegally.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Well, as he's here illegally, I'd guess he didn't.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm sure it's all one big mistake.  Release the dogs.    

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
he's trying to cash bogus checks like in "Catch me if you can"

damn, beat me to it
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#29]
He was most definately a victim of racial profiling.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#30]
While I'm glad this scum sucker was caught, let's reword the article slightly and see if we find anything that worries us (thanks slash-5 for pointing it out first)

Atlanta, Georgia -- A university student from Texas was ordered held without bond after prosecutors said they found a soldier's uniform, an assault rifle, several hundred rounds of ammunition, a map of Atlanta with tourist attractions clearly marked, and a collection of books and magazines such as "Soldier of Fortune", "Guns and Ammo", "U.S. Army Survival Manual", and "Field Maintenance: M-16" in his apartment.

The FBI is investigating whether Joseph Engles, 21, had any connection to terrorists. He is awaiting trial on charges of possession of military paraphenalia with intent to impersonate a government employee, and behavior potentially harmful to himself or others.

Engles, who is in Georgia but is a legal resident of Texas only, told the judge during a hearing Thursday that he is studying history and english literature at the University.

"My rights have been violated. I've been a straight A student for three years; I've never done anything illegal and now my chances of finishing school or ever getting a decent job are ruined by these baseless charges," he said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Parker said Thursday that the military-related items were found during a Sept. 9 search.

U.S. Magistrate Judge S. Thomas Anderson ruled that Engles be held without bond.

"It is hard for the court to understand why he has a large concentration of those (military) items, and nothing else to indicate Mr. Engles does not plan to engage in activities harmful to the community," Anderson said.

Engles had ordered 3,000 rounds of ammunition and other items online, including DVDs titled "Defensive Handgun Training", "History of the AR-15 and M-16", and "Death From Afar: Snipers in WWII", FBI agent Thad Gulczynski testified.

The company reported Engles to authorities when his order of ammunition seemed excessive and indicated suspicious activity, Gulczynski said.

"This is yet another case of a fringe hobby becoming a dangerous obsession," Gulczynski stated. "What does he need that much ammo for? Is he planning to start a war?"

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
While I'm glad this scum sucker was caught, let's reword the article slightly and see if we find anything that worries us (thanks slash-5 for pointing it out first)

Get somebody to recommend a good liniment. A stretch like that is going to leave you hurting.

So, you think that despite the Privileges and Immunities Clause, a Texan living in georgia is analytically indistinguishable from an Egyptian illegally in the US? You think that given recent events, a foreign Muslim preparing to impersonate an airline pilot is indistinguishable from an American possessing military equipment?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get somebody to recommend a good liniment. A stretch like that is going to leave you hurting.

So, you think that despite the Privileges and Immunities Clause, a Texan living in georgia is analytically indistinguishable from an Egyptian illegally in the US? You think that given recent events, a foreign Muslim preparing to impersonate an airline pilot is indistinguishable from an American possessing military equipment?

Boy, you're good at putting words in people's mouths, aren't you? You ever consider a career as a lawyer or politician?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boy, you're good at putting words in people's mouths, aren't you? You ever consider a career as a lawyer or politician?

Well, he IS a lawyer...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, he IS a lawyer...

Ah, I spoke too soon I see.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#35]
This just deserved another edit, to demonstrate that US Citizens have rights whereas Illegals have none.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Atlanta, Georgia -- A university student from Texas was ordered held in highest regard after patriots said they found a soldier's uniform, an assault rifle, several hundred thousand rounds of ammunition, a map of Neverland Ranch with fire lanes clearly marked, and a collection of books and magazines such as "Improvised Munitions", "Breaching and Clearing", "U.S. Army Sniper Manual", and "Field Maintenance: M-16" in his apartment. He also had an American Flag and a copy of the Constitution proudly displayed.

The FBI is investigating whether Joseph Engles, 21, is qualified to receive the Freedom Medal. He is awaiting a shipment of military paraphenalia from the EE, with intent to enter several 3 gun matches in the near future.

Engles, who is in Georgia but is a legal citizen of the USA, told a crowd of John Kerry supporters that were hard of hearing Thursday that they can "kiss his ass anytime now.."

"My rights mean a lot to me. I've been a straight A student for three years; I've never done anything illegal , and I can legally carry a firearm anywhere I please ," he said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Parker said Thursday that the military-related items are generally heavier duty and more serviceable than the day glow garb and spandex commonly worn by tree-huggers.

"The specific facts and circumstances are straighforward," Parker said.

U.S. Magistrate Judge S. Thomas Anderson ruled that Engles was a fine citizen and a friend of the court. Judge Thomas also complimented Engles on his choice of optics on several of his AR type rifles.

"It is easy for the court to understand why he has a large concentration of those (military) items, and nothing indicates Mr. Engles plans to engage in activities harmful to the community," Anderson said.

Engles had ordered 35,000 rounds of ammunition and other items online, including DVDs titled "Defensive Handgun Training", "History of the AR-15 and M-16", and "Death From Afar: Snipers in WWII", and was looking forward to their delivery.

The company reported to Engles that the items had shipped UPS Orange

"This is yet another case of a USA citizen enjoying the freedoms he has," Gulczynski stated. "Black Rifle Disease can be very serious, but  Mr. Engles has it well in check.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:52:53 AM EDT
[#36]
wow, I remember when having books and literature on uncommon subjects was legal.  Its always been ok to have books that detail how to build a bomb as long as you didnt build it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Atlanta, Georgia -- A university student from Texas was ordered held without bond after prosecutors said they found a soldier's uniform, an assault rifle, several hundred rounds of ammunition, a map of Atlanta with tourist attractions clearly marked, and a collection of books and magazines such as "Soldier of Fortune", "Guns and Ammo", "U.S. Army Survival Manual", and "Field Maintenance: M-16" in his apartment.

The FBI is investigating whether Joseph Engles, 21, had any connection to terrorists. He is awaiting trial on charges of possession of military paraphenalia with intent to impersonate a government employee, and behavior potentially harmful to himself or others.

Engles, who is in Georgia but is a legal resident of Texas only, told the judge during a hearing Thursday that he is studying history and english literature at the University.

"My rights have been violated. I've been a straight A student for three years; I've never done anything illegal and now my chances of finishing school or ever getting a decent job are ruined by these baseless charges," he said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Parker said Thursday that the military-related items were found during a Sept. 9 search.

U.S. Magistrate Judge S. Thomas Anderson ruled that Engles be held without bond.

"It is hard for the court to understand why he has a large concentration of those (military) items, and nothing else to indicate Mr. Engles does not plan to engage in activities harmful to the community," Anderson said.

Engles had ordered 3,000 rounds of ammunition and other items online, including DVDs titled "Defensive Handgun Training", "History of the AR-15 and M-16", and "Death From Afar: Snipers in WWII", FBI agent Thad Gulczynski testified.

The company reported Engles to authorities when his order of ammunition seemed excessive and indicated suspicious activity, Gulczynski said.

"This is yet another case of a fringe hobby becoming a dangerous obsession," Gulczynski stated. "What does he need that much ammo for? Is he planning to start a war?"

Please pass that my way. Must be some good shit.

Furriner? "university student from Egypt" -
Sneaked in? "who is in the United States illegally" -
Been there, Done that? -  "How an Airline Captain Should Look and Act" -
US citizen's 2A right applies? - nope - X

Like I've said many times before "There is no stronger or addictive narcotic than that of self-delusionment. "

wganz

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:22:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Illegal, eh? Seven years, eh?

What took so long?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top