Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 5:32:02 PM EDT
Vang was convicted on all six counts. Didn't see all the details, it just scrolled accross the bottom of TV screen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
yay
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm shocked they didn't buy his...."they deserved to die" defense?  

I hope Wisconsin has the gas chamber!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Jury Finds Immigrant Guilty of Murdering 6 Hunters

Friday, September 16, 2005

HAYWARD, Wis. — A jury on Friday convicted an immigrant truck driver of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of six deer hunters during a confrontation over trespassing, rejecting his claims that he fired in self-defense after one hunter used racial slurs and another shot at him.

Chai Soua Vang (search), 36, faces mandatory life in prison. Wisconsin does not have a death penalty.

Jurors deliberated about three hours before convicting Vang on six counts of first-degree intentional homicide and three counts of attempted homicide. In addition to the six dead, two hunters were wounded in the shootings Nov. 21 that began when the group of hunters confronted Vang for being on private land.

Vang, dressed in a business suit with family members seated behind him, showed no visible emotion as the judge read the verdict.

The crime rocked Wisconsin's north woods in part because four of the victims were shot in the back and all but one were unarmed, according to testimony.

The slayings also occurred during the state's beloved deer hunting season and exposed racial tension between the predominantly white north woods residents and immigrants from the Hmong (search) ethnic group of Southeast Asia.

Outside court, one of Vang's friends questioned the all-white jury's makeup and maintained Vang was innocent.

"All Caucasian, all American. Why can't there be one Hmong? Why can't there be one minority in there?" Pofwmyeh Yang said. "I believe only one person can judge, and that's God. But God didn't judge today."

Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager (search) said in her closing argument that Vang ambushed some of the victims and chased down one of them. But the defense said the confrontation was all about racial prejudice.

Vang's attorney, Steven Kohn, told jurors the prosecution cannot prove who fired the first shot. Vang had testified he started firing only after one of the hunters shot at him first.

"In the courtroom, the tie goes to the defendant," Kohn said.

Lautenschlager reminded jurors Vang testified he felt two of the victims deserved to die because they called him names. "The physical evidence and the witness statements speak for themselves," she said.

Kohn said Friday the hunters' anger at Vang was driven by racial prejudice.

"It really is the straw that stirs the drink. It is the catalyst," he said. He told jurors the trial was not about the Hmong community or Wisconsin's hunting culture, but about what happened when specific individuals confronted each other in the woods.

The judge had given jurors the option of finding Vang guilty on lesser charges of second-degree murder or attempted murder.

Vang testified Thursday that he fired at the group of hunters because he feared for his life. At one point, he pretended to hold a rifle as he told jurors how he gunned down the victims — but he claimed it was only after a shot was fired at him.

Vang, a truck driver from St. Paul, Minn., came to the United States more than 20 years ago from a refugee camp in Thailand.

He said the shootings happened after one of the white hunters used profanities and racial slurs when angrily confronting him for trespassing in a tree stand used to hunt deer last fall.

Two survivors of the shootings testified that only one shot was fired at Vang, and that was after he had already shot the victims.

Cross-examined by Lautenschlager, Vang was asked if each victim deserved to die. Vang answered "no" in some cases and "yes" in others.

He told jurors he was on the rifle team in high school in California and later served in the National Guard, where he was trained to shoot to kill. He also described himself as an experienced hunter.

Wisconsin does not have a death penalty.

Vulcan94

Damn!  I wasted post #1500 on that POS!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
<DU>It's all Bush's fault.</DU>
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Oy vay.

Von Treibling will be happy.

Get out your forks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The judge had given jurors the option of finding Vang guilty on lesser charges of second-degree murder or attempted murder.

What the hell?  which of the 6 he killed should have been only convicted of "attempting" to kill?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
 Life without parole.  Better than what he gave to the 6.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Ride the Bubba little buddy!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Good news. A jury that didn't have it's head up their ass!! Finally!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]

"All Caucasian, all American. Why can't there be one Hmong? Why can't there be one minority in there?" Pofwmyeh Yang said.

Is this jackass suggesting that the Hmong are NOT Americans.  He is overlooking the fact that a Hmong was in there -- the same one that murdered six Americans.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe he would have been happy if we had non-American citizens on the jury.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I bet I know why there wasn't one minority-- 98.76% of the population of that county is probably caucasian.  1 minority would probably be over-representation.

As a half-Asian, I say that Vang is a big douchebag who is either insane or criminal.  Either way, his actions dictate that he not be walking the streets a free man.

There were probably some racial slurs used on him, but grow up.  And if you trespass or poach, at least be a good sport about it and leave when asked.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Bummer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope he's killed in prison Jeffrey Dahmer-style.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Scott

I hope he gets pounded in the ass by the homies for forty years first
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad to hear it
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#17]
He'll learn more racial slurs in prison.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't get the whole "they deserved to die because of racial epithets" thing. If we all started killing each other when racial insults came up, the body count would be in the millions! I had a guy tell me I was a Guiness swilling Mick tonight! Now, I am, so it didn't hurt, but I didn't come back with my AR and take out all the non Micks, of which there were a few. But what lawyer could let that be used as a defense?!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#19]
What's the best way to cook a Hmong?  Rare with the blood running out or well done and dry as boot leather?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]
suicide watch?
shame is a huge deal in the asian culture
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Vang boom boom long time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

He's gonna get Gang Vang Banged instead of hanged.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
suicide watch?
shame is a huge deal in the asian culture

We could only be so lucky.  Hopefully he will be killed in prison like Dahmer, or like the pedophile priest who was choked to death down in Massachusetts last year.      
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's gonna get Gang Vang Banged instead of hanged.

ETA:  I don't want to make light of prison rape but some people do deserve it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I hope Wisconsin has the gas chamber!hr

No.

Wisconsin has Madison.

Ya Hey!!!........ Morons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bummer.

I disagree.. death row would have meant isolation. Welcome to Gen Pop, bitch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#27]
i wonder what jail he will go to, and who we have to write in there to make sure he gets the crème de la crème of  special treatments.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Most of the asians I've heard talking about this seem sympathetic to the guy ... saying things like "he was attacked by racist slur flinging rednecks and did what he had to".

I hope a family member of one of the murdered gets him.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Most of the asians I've heard talking about this seem sympathetic to the guy ... saying things like "he was attacked by racist slur flinging rednecks and did what he had to".

Not sure where you live man but that hasn't been my experience. Sad story for sure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i wonder what jail he will go to, and who we have to write in there to make sure he gets the crème de la crème of  special treatments.

I think things will take care of themselves the first time he demands respect from his fellow inmates.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure where you live man but that hasn't been my experience. Sad story for sure.

Well, I've only talked to four of them.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#33]
He took 6 lives and only got life? geez.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Scott

I hope he gets pounded in the ass by the homies for forty years first

Maybe some frustrated hunter will field dress him...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:09:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything coming out of the Hmong community here in Minnesota where Vang is from is saying "RACISM RACISM RACISM"  and as a minor afterthought "oh and it was wrong to kill a bunch of people in cold blood, but RACISM lead to this."

Sorry, white or Hmong, this guy deserved to fry.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Everything coming out of the Hmong community here in Minnesota where Vang is from is saying "RACISM RACISM RACISM"  and as a minor afterthought "oh and it was wrong to kill a bunch of people in cold blood, but RACISM lead to this."

I guess they have been fully americanized now.

Wonder what they'll be saying when the rest of us have had enough of their bullshit?
My experience with them as a doc in a community which got a large influx thanks to that POS Carter is that it is about 50/50. About half look after their families, work, etc. About half are total scum. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am Asian, and I & all of the Asian friends I know feel this guy deserves the death penalty!

Racial slurs doesn't give the guy the right to kill   He deserves to be Bubba's bitch for life.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am Asian, and I & all of the Asian friends I know feel this guy deserves the death penalty!

Racial slurs doesn't give the guy the right to kill   He deserves to be Bubba's bitch for life.

That is good to hear.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Race doesn't have anything to do with it. You can find sociopathic dicks who don't understand the rules and think they can do whatever they please in any color. My judgment would be the same if he was red-haired, pasty-faced irish, or anything else.

If you are out hunting and you come across a hunting stand you don't have to have a particular color brain to figure out that it isn't yours. The last time I took a hunter safety course I do recall being told that any time you go hunting you are responsible for knowing where you are and having permission to be there. If you don't do that then anything that follows is pretty much your fault.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top