Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 2:35:53 PM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

I'd like to know what sort of federal oversight will be in place for the appropriation of federal funds for our new supersized WPA project in the gulf coast. Who will decide how these dollars are spent?

Furthermore, will the other areas (AL and MS for example) that were destroyed receive an appropriate amount of federal aid, or is NO going to get the lion's share?

Also, are homeowners who didn't bother with property/homeowners insurance going to get their homes rebuilt for free?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Even the greatest of oversight won't be able to control a bottomless pit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that’s all up in the air right now.

I assume Congress will have to do an appropriation bill for this – and of course every member involved will be fighting for benefits for their home district/state.  (And I’m not just talking about politicians from states hit by Katrina.  Other states will be supplying raw materials and services for rebuilding, so they also stand to make a lot of money on this.)

Politicians in LA are already pushing the idea of simply paying off people’s home mortgages, I assume with federal money.  This is outrageous - people who need help are one thing; simply giving money to everybody in the area is another.  These politicians are simply trying to get re-elected.

Expect to see more and more of this.

I feel very comfortable in predicting massive fraud, corruption and waste in this rebuilding that will make the looting we all saw on TV last week look like a Sunday church picnic.

Both FEMA and DHS have IG offices that are supposed to watch for waste, fraud and abuse.  There was some talk on CNN about possible creating a separate, dedicated IG office just for this project.

I think that is an excellent idea (even though my personal experiences with IG offices has not been good).

I’m sure insurance fraud will also be rampant.

I’d like to suggest that a dedicated prison be built right now for those caught committing fraud and such during this rebuilding - because I absolutely guarantee you that one will be needed!!  

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Paying off mortgages?  Wt...  It seems that (this really should be to no one's surprise) home owner's insurance (for the minority in the area that had theirs paid up to date) does not cover floods.  So a destroyed home will be paid off and not rebuilt?  I guess I'm not seeing the picture here, big or otherwise.  Several prominent (re: despicable) liberals came out in high praise to Bush's speech and plan.  That says it all unfortunately.      
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What sort of oversight will be in place?

Not enough, given the amount of money that is getting thrown at the "rebuilding".

I predict corruption, fraud and outright theft on a scale never before seen in the annals of human history.

And it has already started.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:40:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The dude with the Heineken will be in charge of things.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:34:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure that the same thoughtful consideration and oversight that was used in the distribution of $2000 debit cards will be used in the reconstruction of New Orleans.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to some oversight on the House and Senate when they pass this thing. It'll be loaded with so much pork...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Considering LA and MS are both in the top three for corruption convictions of public officials, there needs to be lots of outside oversight.  Corruption is a way of life in that part of the country.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#9]

What sort of oversight will be in place?

absolutely none. nagin and blanco and the black congressional caucus will complain about the "plantation mentality of bush and the other white massa's" and the feds will back off like they grabbed a red-hot poker and they'll just throw money at them from a distance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#10]
There will be tons of oversight - but only if you're looking at it from the perspective of an honest homeowner trying to get your piece of the pie.

Those who have nothing better to do than to milk the system will have a field day with this.

It's gonna be a huge bottomless pit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I can tell you what oversight there won't be.  Constitutional.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top