Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 12:06:06 AM EDT
My new glasses have an anti-reflective coating on the lenses that give them a touch of green in the reduced reflection. "Great! I'll see more clearly!" Or so I thought...

Something about that coating attracts smudges, dirt, and dust and WON'T LET GO.

These things are impossible to clean! A fingerprint just smears (fog + wipe is useless unless done 10+ times). As if it weren't annoying enough that I can't use any ole cloth to clean the things for fear of damaging the coating, what I can use usually spreads it around.

Who else has this problem, or better yet, a solution????

(a solution besides laser eye surgery (no $$$) or contacts (I work 48 hour shifts))

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the same thing.
Hand/dish soap + water + paper towel works for me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Whenever I've run into that problem, a Cannon camera lens cleaning cloth + solution has always solved it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:44:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I use those new micro fiber cleaning clothes. They work great, I keep one in both vehicles etc.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Most optical places have the special cleaning cloth (I use Zeiss ones).  NEVER use paper towels on plastic lenses - they will leave fine scratches that will eventually become noticeable.

I just got new lenses with the new very expensive Zeiss anti-reflective coatings and they are great.  Went to an Opthamalogist instead of going to Lenscrafters/Pearl Vision.  More expensive, but worth it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
i just use windex
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I use those new micro fiber cleaning clothes. They work great, I keep one in both vehicles etc.....

nothing works better

go to home depot, get 3 good sized ones for about $6.00

txl
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I just wash mine in warm soapy water (dish washing liquid) and dry with a micro fiber cleaning cloth (if available) or a very soft cotton t-shirt.

Never use paper towels, TP, or Kleenex.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Never use paper towels, because they have really fine ground up wood chips that will scatch the finish on the lense. But no matter what you do, they will scratch and you will eventually need to replace them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I'm a lame-o, but I use the AR cleaner fluid and cloth.  Works pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1...I have coating on my sunglasses, and don't have any trouble at all keeping them clean.  Kaiser gives out these little kits with some cleaning liquid and the micro fiber cloth.  Works like a champ.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Dawn (dishwashing liquid), rinse and dry w/a soft cotton cloth.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have the same thing.
Hand/dish soap + water + paper towel works for me.

+1 except I use soft tissue rather than a paper towel.

Dial liquid hand soap works particularly well for me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i just use windex

I was told "No Windex or paper towels, toilet paper, or Kleenex." I think the Windex is harmful to the coating.

But now my glasses are scratched enough and old enough I use Windex, and paper towels, and toilet paper and Kleenex.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't ever use dish soap/hand soap/ or windex. The amonia in the windex will eat the coatings right off. (scratch resistant coating and the anti-reflective) Soaps have phosphates which will do the same thing. Either buy some lens cleaner specifically for glasses or use rubbing alcohol which will also help remove dirt and oil from your face and fingers that make it onto you lenses.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been wearing lenses with Crizal coatings for about 3 years now, cleaning them 1-2 times per day with hand soap.  I dry them very gently with soft tissue, and they've never gotten scratched.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#17]
HOT water, let it run for 20-30 seconds on each lens. In extreme cases you may have to break out the alcohol, but don't use it unless you really have to.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i just use windex

I was told "No Windex or paper towels, toilet paper, or Kleenex." I think the Windex is harmful to the coating.

But now my glasses are scratched enough and old enough I use Windex, and paper towels, and toilet paper and Kleenex.

Same here.

I'm wondering if that 'fill in the scratch' shit really works or if it's just the scam I think it is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

yep  +1
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#20]
The Crizal lenses are great once you clean them with the special cloths.  They're available on Crizal's website, three for about $8.00 delivered.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#22]
What's the scoop on this Crizal coating? Ready for a new set of specs and see most sites offering regular antiglare coating (good) Zeiss (better) Crizal (best) - (their ratings)

Is it noticeably better or just hype?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Shopped two different places for my glasses. The first place sold me up on everything they had, the second place told me of all the evils of most of what the first place wanted to sell me. One of the first things they talked me out of was rimless frames, the second was the anti-glare coating on the lenses, the third was the material of the lenses themselves.

The reason given to me was, my occupation would be too hard on the frames, the anti-glare coating would smudge all the time and the material wasn't as good optically as the material used in the glass I now own. As often as I get things on the lenses of my glasses, I couldn't deal with the anti-glare stuff. Glad I went to the second shop.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#24]
+1 on the Zeiss lens cloths, they are under $3 for 50 at Wally World (Hell) they work great, and they also work great on scopes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Go to Eyemart Express and buy their cleaning solution, they give free refills as long as you bring the empty container back.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Windex w/ Ammonia and a paper towel.  I love glass lenses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top