Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 2:26:42 PM EDT
Unbelievable things happen every day and this ( "to liberty and a sovereign national existence in a state of their own.") is ceratinly one of them.   I'd love to hear a Pali say that about Israel......

The last paragraph is ooooooh Charif (sharp, spicy in hebrew)......  

Analysis: At UN, Sharon made his farewell speech to the Likud
By Aluf Benn, Haaretz Correspondent

It's hard to think of a greater contrast than Ariel Sharon and the glass building of the United Nations in New York: the man whose biography was a model of belligerence, alongside the international organization derided in Israel as a symbol of diplomatic hypocrisy and impotence.

And lo, Sharon rose to the podium Thursday in the General Assembly hall for the first time and made a peace speech. For the first time he spoke of the Palestinians' right "to liberty and a sovereign national existence in a state of their own."

Sharon has spoken of a Palestinian state before, but always as a forced compromise, not as the natural right of the neighboring nation.

Sharon was excited, here and there he breathed heavily, and it was clear that he had prepared for the address carefully. For a moment it seemed that it was Yitzhak Rabin, his former commander, standing on the stage, reading one of the peace speeches that Eitan Habber had written for him. The same references to Jerusalem, the Jewish nation's eternal capital. The same apology for choosing the army and war as a way of life, which was forced on him instead of the farmwork he loved. The same call to the Palestinans to work together for peace "for our children and grandchildren."

He also had less pleasant statements for the Palestinians: He demanded they relinquish terror, stressed that the fence construction would continue and demanded "defensible borders."

Sharon's aides promised the speech would not be directed at the Likud Central Committee, and indeed it sounded like the prime minister's statement of farewell to his party. This is not the way people in the Likud talk, and Sharon appeared to understand that he has no chance of winning in the Likud and must embark on a new political way. This way heads toward the center, toward a public that wants peace and quiet and is willing to give up more territories in addition to the Gaza Strip. The speech in Hebrew, on prime time television, was intended to convey this message to every home in Israel.

On Thursday, Sharon met Tony Blair. Alluding the arrest warrant issued in Britain against Major General Doron Almog, he said to Blair: "I want to visit Britain, but I'm not sure I can, because of my 32 wonderful years in the army. I remember British prisons are not so pleasant."

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Make no mistake, some jackass judge would order a warrant for Sharon's arrest if he came to the UK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top