Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 12:01:50 PM EDT
Ok, so I installed this bullshit Steam program, and I want to be able to play offline.  So I set the Steam program to Offline Mode, then try to run HL2, and it says "This operation cannot be completed when Steam is in Offline Mode", even though I have 100% of the game, HL2 says its ready for offline play, and even the folks who invented this garbage say its possible.  So far, I have seen no evidence to support this.  Anybody know how to make it work in Offline Mode?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it fully updated, and authenticated, etc?

Does the game start up fine when you're online?

Just checking..
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You shouldn't have to go through Steam to play the regular game mode offline
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You shouldn't have to go through Steam to play the regular game mode offline

A first you do.

You have to create your steam account, login, download all the updates(autoamtic) then turn steam to offline mode.

Now your set.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I just got it today.  It's all updated and everything.

If I don't have to go thru Steam, how do I start it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The game will not run unless Steam is loaded and operational.  That's the way they designed it.  I believe it is part of their anti-piracy plan but it also allows them to gather marketing info and other statistics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah I just got it today.  It's all updated and everything.

If I don't have to go thru Steam, how do I start it?

I left it default and always have to go through steams log in. *shrugs* doesnt bother me, i have dsl.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The game will not run unless Steam is loaded and operational.  That's the way they designed it.  I believe it is part of their anti-piracy plan but it also allows them to gather marketing info and other statistics.

Your fogetting the one the benefits us the most, weed out the cheaters.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have Steam, its operational and everything, but I just want to be able to make use of the offline gameplay.  I made the account and put in the cd key, and then it finished decrypting, updating, and whatever the hell else, and I've even played a little through, but now I want to continue playing offline, and it won't let me.  God damn this program sucks
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
It works for me.  You have to have steam going but not be logged into it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
If you disable your network connection and start steam, it'll ask if you want to start it in offline mode...?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you disable your network connection and start steam, it'll ask if you want to start it in offline mode...?

Yep, then it does just that.  Only when I tell it to Launch HL2, it gives me that error message.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top