Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:22:35 AM EDT
I have always liked Green Day.  Something about making great music with like two chords of musical knowledge.  I like the way they've quote unquote matured from a cute-lyric punk band to actually making decent music.  But we all know where they stand on the Issue that matters.  It really irks me to listen to them but I do like the music.  Anyone else have this problem with a band or group?

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
System of a Down.

I dont like all of their songs, but sometimes I like to play "Toxicity" or  "Radio/Video" as loud as they will go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I like a few songs by the...Goo-Goo Dolls.....can I post this anonymously?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Many bands....

Rage Against the Machine are full on communists, but their music rocks.

Many here hate U2s politics, but they're one of the best bands of all time.

It's just music. It doesn't define my values.

A disagreement with your values/morals/beliefs is not an assault on them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Rage Against the Machine is just hilarious.

"Fight the power!  Fight the man!  Down with capitalism!  Buy our CD from our major record-label!  Make us rich by going to our concerts!  Buy our mass-produced shirts so we can make a profit!!"

They would at least be more believable if they had their own small record label and weren't in bed with major record corporations (Epic).
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Rage Against the Machine
Rise Against
Coldplay
Counting Crows
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Rage Against the Machine
Rise Against
Coldplay
Counting Crows

+1 on all of those.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I love the band Chicago, but I know some of the members are liberal democraps who spout every now and then. I try to just forget that shit and enjoy the music.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#8]
U2  Is a love/hate for me...  

When someone shuts up and just plays good music they will RULE THE WORLD!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, Rage Against the Machine & Greenday are in my normal CD rotation despite their message.  I used to be part of the angry youth that Rage is preaching to.  It's kind of nostalgic for me.  Funny how things like a job, a wife, a mortgage, car payments and kids will help you realize "Hey, those guys are full of crap.  I am part of the machine that I was raging against."  Being responsible for people other than myself definitely changed my point of view.

F$%@ you I won't do what you tell me!!! .... Maybe I will do what you tell me now.

It's still good music.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I am a big Dave Matthews fan but Dave is an idiot.  I wouldn't want him killed, but I would rather not hear anything about his political leanings.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Lincon Park LP some good songs but my son plays them non stop! I had to buy him an ipod so I didn't have to hear it in the house any more
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]
MAN!  I'm the opposite on green day!  They totally went in the shit house!

They're music sounds like corporate theme songs to bad teenie bopper TV shows these days!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
MAN!  I'm the opposite on green day!  They totally went in the shit house!

They're music sounds like corporate theme songs to bad teenie bopper TV shows these days!  

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#14]
lamb of god
the music is a blistering array of speed / death metal but the messages in some songs are
just to anti for me

what do you make of this

04 - Now You've Got Something To Die For Lyrics & Info
Album: Ashes of the Wake - 2004-08-31

Now you've got something to die for.
Infidel, Imperial
Lust for blood, a blind crusade
Apocalyptic, we count the days.
Bombs to set the people free, blood to feed the dollar tree
Flags for coffins on the screen, oil for the machine
Army of liberation, gunpoint indoctrination
The fires of sedition
Fulfill the prophecy.
Send the childrean to the fire, sons and daugthers stack the pyre
Stoke the flame of the empire, live to lie another day
Face of hypocrisy, raping the democracy
Apocalyptic, we count the days.
We'll never get out of this hole until we've dug our own grave
And drug the rest down with us, the burning home of the brave
Burn.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Megadeth...Mustaine is a tool, but I love the music, especially the Peace Sells/Rust in Peace era.  

Take no prisoners...take no shit!  

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Culture Club.....ah man! Think, dont type,           think, dont type,            think, dont type.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I was going to mention Lamb of God!  I see I was beaten to the punch.  I love their "Ashes of the Wake" album, but yesterday I was on their website and reading their bio, which is basically just a big anti-Bush diatribe.

I also really, really love the newest Ministry album "Houses of the Mole," but the whole damn thing is one big anti-Bush tirade.  It's a shame that they make their best music when they're disagreeing with me.

Trent Reznor, Maynard Keenan...all their music I love, but they have both made lots of stupid political statements with which I disagree.  Whatever, man.  If I was only going to listen to music made by people with whom I agree completely, I wouldn't be listening to much music at all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Almost all of them...bunch of pansy ass libs.

Lately, it's been AC/DC, Metalica at home, and country music in the car.   The former gets me jacked up, the latter makes me feel like I'm sill in America.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Bruce Springsteen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Tony Orlando and Dawn
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Boston

Absolutely love their music... absolutely hate their politics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#22]
What is it with liberal artists that cant keep their mouths shut about politics? Any artist for that matter. Play music, entertain me, shut up about your politics.

I just go ahaead and assume all bands and musicians are commies and just enjoy them for their music.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#23]
shut up and play yer guitar
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Culture Club.....ah man! Think, dont type,           think, dont type,            think, dont type.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What is it with liberal artists that cant keep their mouths shut about politics? Any artist for that matter. Play music, entertain me, shut up about your politics.

I just go ahaead and assume all bands and musicians are commies and just enjoy them for their music.

I wouldn't mind artists telling me about their political beliefs if their beliefs weren't all the damn same!  Let a few of them have something original and different to say and I wouldn't mind.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
shut up and play yer guitar

+1, and Joe Walsh is actually a pretty cool guy. Missing a few brain cells maybe, but a swell guy nonetheless. He's also a licensed ham. I have a buddy in Burbank, CA who's talked to him alot. I even have a picture of the two of them at a BBQ. Joe is one of those guys who wears the cheezy foam hat with his call sign printed on the front.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Rage Against the Machine are full on communists, but their music rocks.

Yep, them and System of a Down.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have always liked Green Day.  Something about making great music with like two chords of musical knowledge.  I like the way they've quote unquote matured from a cute-lyric punk band to actually making decent music.  But we all know where they stand on the Issue that matters.  It really irks me to listen to them but I do like the music.  Anyone else have this problem with a band or group?

I thought of Green Day before I clicked on this thread.

I like em but I hate em.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Nine Inch Nails.

Their new CD is probably their best yet, but I hate the band.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top