Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 11:21:21 PM EDT
on the 11th it was seen as far south as about 100 mi north of phoenix, AZ!
next blast the night of the 14th and 15th

www.spaceweather.com/
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Being in northern Alaska affords me the opportunity to see them on a daily basis during the dark months of the year.

Movies and pictures do NO JUSTICE to the Aurora Borealis. I love going out on a cold winter night and laying in the snow watching them dance over my head...it's absolutely breathtaking. Since i've been up here i've seen them green, yellow and red. From time to time you can actually hear them also. Sounds almost like static.

I took this picture last year while snowmobiling...sorry about the size.

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I am going to Ft Davis TX tomorrow.  Must be on the lookout...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Being in northern Alaska affords me the opportunity to see them on a daily basis during the dark months of the year.

Movies and pictures do NO JUSTICE to the Aurora Borealis. I love going out on a cold winter night and laying in the snow watching them dance over my head...it's absolutely breathtaking. Since i've been up here i've seen them green, yellow and red. From time to time you can actually hear them also. Sounds almost like static.

www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/_Images/Member%20Images/Miscellaneous/200591424324_6266.jpg

-Derek

wow! What is that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]
i was up in B.C. last month.. but nothing... was hoping for something.  lol if I cant go to them.. they come to me!

thanks for the pic! very cool!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/_Images/Member%20Images/Miscellaneous/200591424324_6266.jpg

-Derek

wow! What is that?

to sum it up.. its crap from the sun hitting earths magnetic field and making pretty colors.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Derek

wow! What is that?

to sum it up.. its crap from the sun hitting earths magnetic field and making pretty colors.

Cool , never seen them before, Do they only occure in the mid-west?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Aurora Explained

I have TONS of pictues, but figured I would keep it 56K safe.

-Derek

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Derek

wow! What is that?

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cool , never seen them before, Do they only occure in the mid-west?

no.. they are usually visible around the poles of the earth.. so normally it is only visible to people in alaska, and canada.. but can venture further south with the larger ejections from the sun... what we are seeing are HUGE coronal mass ejections from the sun.. the one the other day set a record.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I took this picture last year while snowmobiling...sorry abou
t the size.

-Derek

wow! What is that?

I think it is radiation from oxygen atoms excited by solar plasma focused on the poles by the earths magnetic field, but I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm gonna head up too the mountains today or tommarow and take a look
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember the first time I ever saw it, I went to the roof of the fire station with a lawn
chair and watched it for a long time. It was truely awesome, I try to catch it every year
but I've never seen it since, and I want my kids to see it, they would love it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#12]
This just west coast?

I might have to take my camera to work tonight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:42:09 AM EDT
[#14]
nothing in MN tonight
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:00:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I have only seen them once. Truely beautiful! We are gonna have clouds & rainy weather so I probabaly won't see the show this time around
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:14:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

-Derek

I hate you.

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Derek

I hate you.

Have a nice day.

Don't hate, just move to Alaska!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw it for the first time several years ago in northern Ontario while fishing at an outpost camp. It was jaw dropping. I was awe struck. I've seen it a few times since then and it always has the same effect.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#19]
saw em last year (winter) here in central WI  They were pretty cool- just appearing and dissapearing...was neat-o
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Not to side-track the thread...
But I think I see the ARF Penis in there....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Which way do I ware my aluminum foil for aurora borealis shiny side out or shiny side in.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Any one see anything yet?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#27]
This is how aurorae look like from space as seen from a space shuttle.

Aurora from Space
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Last night was a bust....but it isnt over..

from spaceweather.com:

"AURORA WATCH:  High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras tonight. A fast solar wind stream is buffeting Earth's magnetic field, causing mild to moderate geomagnetic storms. This comes in the wake of a CME that swept past Earth this morning. At first the CME did little to spark auroras, but now the storm is intensifying, raising hopes for a display tonight."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top