Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 7:49:38 AM EDT
Well did you set up the sat dish by yourself?  If so how hard was it?  I have heard that it is fairly simple.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well did you set up the sat dish by yourself?  If so how hard was it?  I have heard that it is fairly simple.

It was very simple, especially if you can arrange to see the TV while you're aligning your dish.  To get a very rough alignment, they give you a compass with the installation kit.  Once you have the general direction set, along with the elevation from a chart in the book, you fine-tune the alignment by slightly moving the dish while watching the strength meter on the TV.  When that peaks out, you tighten all of the bolts to lock down the dish and you're done.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Alot of the newer boxes have a tone that will get louder the stronger the signal gets so you don't actually have to see the TV, just here your stereo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
VERY easy!!  As mentioned, they even supply a compass. On my system, it also had an audible signal indicator so it was a matter of turning up the volume and opening a window so I could hear it.

I mounted my dish about 5 feet off the ground on a steel pole that I drove into the ground and reinforced with sacrete.  In the event we get any super heavy snow accumulating, I can easily clean it off the dish and the LNB.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Alot of the newer boxes have a tone that will get louder the stronger the signal gets so you don't actually have to see the TV, just here your stereo.

+1

So much easier that way
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Very easy.
My original Sony dish had a little LED that would blink faster as you got closer to the correct and azimuth and elevation.  But, that burned out so I brought a small set up onto the roof with me and watched the system display the signal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Awsome Guys!  Thanks for the info!

ARFCOM Rules!

Ok now here is the trick question..........  I have heard that the HD sat is much harder to set up.  Anyone do this?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ah, even better.  I haven't done one since the late '90s.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I did my own about 5 years ago and I couldn't geta  signal for shit.
I eventually went out and bought a real compass and threw away the POS they give you and I got it set up.

Tip:  Have a real compass.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Since installation is free no I haven't tried it.  I did install a DSS dish way back in the day, and it was a major PITA.  You had to get that sucker pointed JUST RIGHT or else you got nothing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#10]
there is no hd sat just a diff reciever the only dif antenna is the one for direcway which is the sat sys for going online. if you turn on your reciever and put in your zip you should get the correct elevation and bearing and offset for the  now i know what you were talking about for the hd the 3 LNB sat i don't even know if you can get the reciever with 1 LNB  anymor anyways as stated before just use the setttings you get from your reciever and then use the tone from your tv too adjust youll have to pickup the 119 the 110 and i can't remember off hand the other sat but if you can pickup the 110 at about 90% all you should have to move is the off set.

FYI  I used to work for Mastech which is the main installer and troubleshooter of systems down here in TX. hope this helps if you have any probs or questions feel free to ask
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#11]
My cat hates the sound of the tone used to fine tune the dish.
It was easy except  the first box I got was fubared and I spent about four hours trying to get a signal. I finally gave up and took it back and got another one. It took me five minutes to point the dish.
I
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Easy as pie (not that kind...).
I use to really "do it myself", but the new cards were, and I believe still are, unhackable.

ETA: Remember, the compass will be affected by the pole and dish if it's too close.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Update:   Mission Successful!  Thanks guys for the help!  

It took me about 1 hour to set up the dish, it turns out that the "guide" stated an elevation of 46Deg when infact I had to set the dish to 41Deg.

On the 3 sats I have signal strength of 96,95, and 91.  I didn't even use a compass, actually I used my GPS

I got the HDTV Reciever with the 250GB Tivo built in!  This thing is bad ass!  I can save one program while watching another!  I already have full seasons of Mail Call, Wings of War, and Modern Marvels programed in (just to name a few) I also got a great deal (for new customers) on the NFL Sunday Ticket!

This thing RULES!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It took me about 1 hour to set up the dish, it turns out that the "guide" stated an elevation of 46Deg when infact I had to set the dish to 41Deg.

On the 3 sats I have signal strength of 96,95, and 91.  I didn't even use a compass, actually I used my GPS

I got the HDTV Reciever with the 250GB Tivo built in!  This thing is bad ass!  I can save one program while watching another!  I already have full seasons of Mail Call, Wings of War, and Modern Marvels programed in (just to name a few) I also got a great deal (for new customers) on the NFL Sunday Ticket!

This thing RULES!!!

Congrats and well done!  Enjoy the NFL package, but be sure to buy plenty of snacks for the new-found friends who will most likely find their way to your place on Sundays.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
congrats on the install but how does using a GPS help with the install?
I used a real compass and borrowed a Sat signal strength meter from the TV station I worked at.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
An inline signal strength meter is the way to go --mine was like $10 a few years back and really allows you to peak the signal to almost 100% so that if it goes out due to rain its pretty rare and we know that the downburst thats comming is really bad IE it went out once or twice when Ivan hit last year and once in a while a really bad T-storm will drop it for a minute or two.
with the meter once you get max signal you attenuate it down and make fine adjustments till you peak it agian. the other nice part about the meter is it runs off LNB power from the receiver so you know you are hooked up and have good continuity to the reciever.  Most of the guys who install for DTV set it up to get just enough signal to get a picture --anything else is a bonus.  If you have your system up and dont want to go buy a meter but would like to fine tune it , I'll be happy to loan you mine for a few days, shoot me an IM if you want to do that and I'll ship it out to you.  

Edited to add -- if you are pulling 96- 99 you prolly wont get any better so nevermind --I shoulda read the rest of the replies myself......
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:29:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Reminds me of the fun I had setting up my SAT dish back in 1993 in Germany! I was living so far off post that picking up AFN TV was impossible. The big fad was DIY SAT TV dishes and receivers purchased at the PX. After about an hour I had the whole thing installed and running, I remember a set up program built into the receiver with a signal strength bar used to adjust the dish’s angle.

I think one of the first programs I watched was Sky New’s live coverage of Waco, TX………could that be right?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
An inline signal strength meter is the way to go --mine was like $10 a few years back and really allows you to peak the signal to almost 100% so that if it goes out due to rain its pretty rare and we know that the downburst thats comming is really bad IE it went out once or twice when Ivan hit last year and once in a while a really bad T-storm will drop it for a minute or two.
with the meter once you get max signal you attenuate it down and make fine adjustments till you peak it agian. the other nice part about the meter is it runs off LNB power from the receiver so you know you are hooked up and have good continuity to the reciever.  Most of the guys who install for DTV set it up to get just enough signal to get a picture --anything else is a bonus.  If you have your system up and dont want to go buy a meter but would like to fine tune it , I'll be happy to loan you mine for a few days, shoot me an IM if you want to do that and I'll ship it out to you.  

Edited to add -- if you are pulling 96- 99 you prolly wont get any better so nevermind --I shoulda read the rest of the replies myself......

Can you give a link to the signal meter?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#19]
No link but I can tell you it is an "eagle  Aspen" "satellite finder" model #SF2-95  made by "pro brand international"  whose phone number is 770-423-7072 with a fax number of 770-423-7075
which stands to reason since I bought it when I lived in Atlanta (770 is one of thier area codes )
can post a pic of it  if youd like . its about 2.5 inches X3.5 inches and about an inch inch and a quater thick with an analog meter from 0-8dbu and a dial for +6 to -6 dbu attenuation and a whistler for audio indication of signal strength. the meter backlight lets you know that you have power from the receiver. Unlike the signal meter on  the screen of the DSS rcvr there is no lag time between adjustments and signal readout so it does make adjustmets easier at the dish.

whoops --heres a link
www.prosatellitesupply.com/meter_eagle_aspen.htm

Although this one will do 10db total range and the adjustment knob is not marked for Dbu's (no real biggie) looks like they doubled in price too...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Tagaroonie.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#22]

sat meter
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thing RULES!!!

Congrats and well done!  Enjoy the NFL package, but be sure to buy plenty of snacks for the new-found friends who will most likely find their way to your place on Sundays.  

LOL!  A few of these "Friends" have already let me know they will be watching the game here on Sunday.

BTW: Thanks guys for the meter info
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump to extend the thanks!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I was going to say, be sure to use a level to get the mounting pole perfectly vertical, but it looks like you did a fine job without any advise from me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top