Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 6:37:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#1]
A still tongue makes a happy life.

( no wonder I am such a miserable sod! )
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I look after me and my own.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Very good point and, the more folks that can cover their own ass's, the less of my tax dollars they get.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
It's becoming easier to tell just who will have an interest in taking an initiative in looking after themselves and who is going to be utterly dependent on someone else (.gov) in a crisis situation. Don't even have to discuss firearms, look at how someone lives: do they bitch about not having enough money (yet buy booze, lottery tickets, have a big screen and subscribe to premium cable channels etc.) - then they have ZERO long term perspective, live solely for the moment (what makes me feel good right now) and will have no interest whatsoever in any sort of independence or preparations for the unexpected. Even worse - if they know that you do have things, they will want to rely on you (mooch) when the unexpected happens.

Sorta like the guy who doesn't have any tools, but always wants to borrow yours.

On the other hand, people who do try to do things for themselves, do things like get a new roof instead of taking a cruise or going to Vegas, might warm up to the idea of having a bit of an insurance policy (maybe only a 72 hour kit) - the NO disaster is a good way to get discussion going on the subject, offer some advice but don't go overboard (at least until they start asking where they can store a pallet of ammo
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I look after me and my own.

Agreed, me and mine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#6]
They already know too much about me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I quietly prepare for my family and my extended family members that I will become responsible for if it happens.  They don't know it, but I'm guessing they'll understand after the problem has occured.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I quietly prepare for my family and my extended family members that I will become responsible for if it happens.  They don't know it, but I'm guessing they'll understand after the problem has occured.

On this forum,,,I blab away.  My neighbors have absolutely no idea what preps I've made and they know nothing about my firearms, not even my Red Ryder BB gun.  The temptation to share the luster and beauty of my Black Rifle family has been significant.  I'm soo proud.  That said, the safe is locked and the room where the guns and SHTF supplies are located gets locked too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#9]
If the S ever does HTF, we'll be targets anyway after a while, no matter how quiet we are.

We won't be getting haggard and gaunt skinny like the masses, having our foodstocks to fall back upon.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top