Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2001 3:13:21 AM EDT
Okay, here's the story.  For the last few months I have been suffering with [b]MAJOR[/b] pain due to an auto accident.  As a result I have been taking some rather strong pain pills and other meds.

Well, about a week ago the pain was [b]really bad[/b] so I took double the suggested pain/muscle relaxant pills (yea, I know).  As a result, I became very disillusioned and proceeded to take about 15 more pills within the next 6 hours. At 3:30 in the morning my wife found me passed out with barely a heartbeat and no blood pressure.  She called the ambulance and I went to the hospital.

At the hospital they treated me as a suicide attempt, even though that wasn't what I was trying to do!!!  I know I F'ed up in a big way, but I was not trying to kill myself!!  Anyway, part of the condition upon my release was that I see a psychiatrist, which I have done.  The psychiatrist believes that I wasn't trying to kill myself, but needed to learn alternative pain management techniques.  Since then I have gotten rid of all the pills in the house and am now using Biofeedback and learning to live with the pain (which really sucks at times).

So this is my question:  How will this affect my attempts buying firearms in the future?  And will this incident follow me in other ways like future jobs and so forth?  

Advice/knowledge is desperately needed here.  Like I said, I know I screwed up, but I did learn a very valuable lesson.

Randall-Flag
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
That really really sucks. But fear not, this shouldn't hinder your future firearm transactions.[heavy]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you ever been treated for mental illness?

[:O]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:11:53 AM EDT
[#4]
You should have told the psychiatrist that some of the cats in your neighborhood that you haven't killed yet, held you down and dumped the pills down your throat.

For the life of you, you just can't figure out why they are holding a grudge against the neighborhood cat sniper.

God works in mysterious ways.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For the life of you, you just can't figure out why they are holding a grudge against the neighborhood cat sniper.

View Quote

I knew someone would remember that!![sniper][;)]

Sweep---Fractured hip and broken back[:(]

Flag
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You should have told the psychiatrist that some of the cats in your neighborhood that you haven't killed yet, held you down and dumped the pills down your throat.
View Quote

????????????
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Under the circumstances I would say the psychiatric visits would be more considered an evaluation rather than treating a mental disorder.

Unless you brought up the cat thing, in which case he probably wants to continue to see you.

Sorry about your pain, I know it can be hard to deal with.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:35:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]

A C U P U N C T U R E.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

????????????
View Quote

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=19240[/url]

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you ever been treated for mental illness?

[:O]
View Quote

Prolly should have. Maybe if they stake you out at 100 yds or so & shoot you while you cant run the pain would subside?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#13]
If I were you I wouldn't tell the shrink about the cats.  Maybe you should.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Just act normal when you fill out the yellow form, don't admit to being nuts, and change your user name to Colin Powell..

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Question 9f on the Form 4473 asks "Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective or have you been committed to a mental institution?"  If you answer yes to that question on the form dealers can't sell you a gun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I were you I wouldn't tell the shrink about the cats.  Maybe you should.
View Quote

YOU BEAT ME TO IT, I WAS GOING TO SAY THE CAT THING.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Randall Flag:
And so the club grows!!!
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/shitanim_small.gif[/img][heavy]

oubeta keep up the great work ridding the world of these filthy animals!!
Don't let the pansy a$$e$ on this board scare you away, they're just girlie men, especially Rifleer1!!!  LOL

Randall-Flagg
View Quote

i bet the cats are wishing his wife hadnt called
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Question 9f on the Form 4473 asks "Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective or have you been committed to a mental institution?"  If you answer yes to that question on the form dealers can't sell you a gun.
View Quote

adjudicated mentaly defective = courts says u are cant be held accountabke for your actions becouse your crazy or mentally retarted
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
My GOD guys...it was just a couple of cats!!!!
People kills unborn babies all the time and nobody complains about them as much as they do about the damn cats!!  

Damn, you write a few post trying to make a point and it never gets lived down!!!  And I thought this was supposted to be a helpful board!!

Keep dividing guys-------pretty sone it will be an army of "ones".

Flag
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Just go and try to buy your next gun.  If anyone asks, just explain to them you're not crazy and you didn't try to kill yourself.  Tell them you only took the pills because the voices in your head told you to.

[:P]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 3:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]

People kills unborn babies all the time and nobody complains about them as much as they do about the damn cats!!  

Damn, you write a few post trying to make a point and it never gets lived down!!!  And I thought this was supposted to be a helpful board!!

Keep dividing guys-------pretty sone it will be an army of "ones".

Flag
View Quote

Steven King's  "The Stand", Randall Flag,=Spawn of the Devil.  Coupled with the cat thing, I would think you should realize you subconsciously desired to be flamed to the bowels of hell.  

In between the prods with the pitchforks was the information you asked for, Being the Devil incarnate I would think you would appreciate the guys here doing your work for you.

Yes, the cat thing has condemned you to eternal damnation, in some eyes.  But what do you care, your the Devil.

Link Posted: 7/22/2001 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#23]
People kills unborn babies all the time and nobody complains about them as much as they do about the damn cats!! Flag
View Quote

Randall, AMEN! The members that keep purring
about the cats are wrong. The ones that advocate shooting you are the ones that are
"crazy."
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Steven King's  "The Stand", Randall Flag,=Spawn of the Devil.  Coupled with the cat thing, I would think you should realize you subconsciously desired to be flamed to the bowels of hell.  

In between the prods with the pitchforks was the information you asked for, Being the Devil incarnate I would think you would appreciate the guys here doing your work for you.

Yes, the cat thing has condemned you to eternal damnation, in some eyes.  But what do you care, your the Devil.

View Quote

And to think that my insurance company wasted money sending me to a shrink when I could have been evaluated by you for free!!

If I am going to hell, I hope there aren't any cats there, because everyone knows how much a pussy stinks when it is all hot and sweaty!![:D]

Randall Flag
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

And to think that my insurance company wasted money sending me to a shrink when I could have been evaluated by you for free!!

If I am going to hell, I hope there aren't any cats there, because everyone knows how much a pussy stinks when it is all hot and sweaty!![:D]

Randall Flag
View Quote

I do hope you realize I was just poking fun at you..  

I am not making light of your injuries or your pain.  Hell, (no pun intended) I'm getting older and waking up each morning with something hurting is becoming the norm.

I hope if you took my post in the right light it put a little bit of your smile on your face.

They say laughter is the best medicine.

Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Unfortunately being in NY this could have an effect on your pistol license. If you have one. If not when you apply for one. I would be very careful in how you answer any questions. I would also make sure the shrink knows it was due to a mistake and not suicide. I would also get it in writing. Feel him/her out on the issue. Don't mention guns. Be wise. Good luck.
The process for a NY pistol license is to ask you if you have been treated for any mental illness. They also do a check of mental illness records.So take it from there and understand what they are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Randall, were just busting your balls.  It like when you f.ck up in front of your friends.  Some butthead will remember and bring it up years later when you're trying to impress agirl.  All the anger that the original thread generated is gone, but its too much fun giving you hell.  So just laugh, were just having some laughs at your expense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top