Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 6:26:50 AM EDT
Can anyone here tell me how I might convert some VHS tapes to a DVD? I have the DVD burner on my computer so I was wondering what software and/or equipment I may need.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#1]
My computer came with an AV input but it is a new computer. You should be able to pick one up fairly cheap at  computer store or a best buy etc... With mine I was able to suck in vhs and even my camcorder which is not digital into my hard drive and burned them from there. It takes up a ton of memory so I have an external hard drive to but that stuff onto. Plus you can always delete the files once you've burned them.

Hope it helps
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You need a way to get the video on the the PC, I have an ATI All-in-Wonder video card, once it is on the PC you need a program to render/convert it and burn it onto a DVD. DVD players require a particular format. I use a few different programs depending on exactly what I am making. I cannot think of the names this second, those are on my desktop PC. Oh, and you need a pretty decent PC and some free time too.

Hope this helps.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, I have a laptop without an AV input so it will probably easies to use a firewire connector of the ADVC-110 or something similar.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I used my Sony digital camcorder as an analog-to-digital converter; it plugs into the PC via FireWire in the usual way, and the VCR plugs into the camcorder's analog I/O port. I'm sure other camcorders will have this functionality... if you have one, check out your user manual. Once hooked up, you can use whatever video capture/editing software that came with your camcorder.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]
No, I don't have a digital camcorder. That is actually what I want to convert to digital - home videos.
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top