Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 5:09:37 AM EDT
We have a chain link fence and would like to replace it with vinyl privacy fencing.  Mostly for the longevity, ease of maintenance, and long-term looks vs. wood fencing.

Anyone have an idea as to about an average, installed, per foot cost for this?

Looking at about 225 feet total needed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I looked at some of that fencing at Home Depot last week, and it started at $50 per 8' length. I have no idea what installation costs, but a quick call to HD should get your answer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
On my list of things to do today - I wonder if going through HD or Lowes would be better than going through a local fencer?  I like 0% financing for 18 months and guarantees from Lowes and HD.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Do it yourself, all you need is an awger or post hole diggers and some quick dry cement.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
As a General Contractor I must tell you that in NO WAY should you hire Home Depot, Lowes, Menards or the rest to do ANY actual installations or work. The people generally speaking that do work for the home centers are the proverbial Carp of the building trades. Anyone who is any good typically speaking (and there are a FEW exceptions) IS NOT doing work for Home Depot. Home Depot has gobbled the market share, filled their stores with people who haven't the first clue what they are talking about and many Contractors loath them, myself included.

That being said, figure approx. $4 per linear foot for installation only. So....if you have 225 linear feet (total footage) of fencing, figure about $900 for installation. Give or take a few bucks depending on a zillion factors like gas prices, local insurance costs etc. That figure comes from the Means 2005 Residential Remodeling and Repair Contractors Guide 2005.

If you want a fence that is straight, and installed by people who speak English, don't hire Home Depot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do it yourself, all you need is an awger or post hole diggers and some quick dry cement.

NEVER EVER EVER set vinyl in concrete. Vinyl expands and contracts and concrete will not allow for that. Install vinyl (posts) in 48" of pea gravel. A four foot fence need not be set in concrete.

For anyone who has never used a gas operated auger, it's a bitch of a job. Once you hit some clay or stone in the Earth, you will no what I mean. Have a manual post hole digger near by as well to scoop out any loose soil. Unless your arms are 5' long.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, remember, vinyl cannot be painted. Once it's in, you will be looking at it forever.

My 2 cents....as a Carpenter...Patriot says build your fence out of wood like an American and maintain properly, it will outlast you.

Tip......

When setting deck posts on concrete piers or footings.....or sinking wolmanized 4"x4" fence posts into a concrete footing, dip the post ends in driveway sealer so they can't wick up water. We also wrap fence posts in Tyvek after we dip the ends. They will last forever and a day.

We only do very large fencing jobs for our high end clients as a service or favor if you will. We have built some incredible fences out of cedar and wolmanized pine that would have stood through Katrina....ok....well......maybe that's BS
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEVER EVER EVER set vinyl in concrete. Vinyl expands and contracts and concrete will not allow for that. Install vinyl (posts) in 48" of pea gravel. A four foot fence need not be set in concrete.

For anyone who has never used a gas operated auger, it's a bitch of a job. Once you hit some clay or stone in the Earth, you will no what I mean. Have a manual post hole digger near by as well to scoop out any loose soil. Unless your arms are 5' long.

Doh!

He did say vinyl didn't he? I have cedar.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, Patriot.  Food for thought.  I still like vinyl, though, and would have no problem with seeing that purdy white shininess for 30 years :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks, Patriot.  Food for thought.  I still like vinyl, though, and would have no problem with seeing that purdy white shininess for 30 years :)

Well, not to be a downer or anything but they have that vinyl fencing out front here in the development I live in. It was installed around 96 or 97. It's going green/grey/brown already. The sun cooks it pretty good and it starts to look nasty. Plus I think even the newer fencing gets brittle over time.

I'd rather have wood and paint it every 5 years or so. I went with the wood facing the street, black chain link everywhere else. The dark chain link fades into the background or blends right in with the plant we put in. The wood was stained and makes it look decent from street level.

But it's your money. Get what you want.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Researching the vinyl I've found that what makes it brittle is colder weather.  Not heat.  Which won't be a problem down here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Ouch - got a quote today for very nice, tough vinyly.  230 feet total, one large double gate, 6 foot instead of 8 foot sections.

Price?  $6800

Ouchies.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost $30 PF?!?!?!? That's expensive!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Fiberfence if they have it in your area. It is fiberglass. Doesn't have the sagging or color change problems.
Probably around 24 per foot installed. most of it 8 foot sections.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Researching the vinyl I've found that what makes it brittle is colder weather.  Not heat.  Which won't be a problem down here.

Yes, cold weather does crack vinyl, take it from me (IL/WI border) but it will get cooked by the sun, I don't care what anyone says.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Calculators can be found here.

After getting quotes from a half-dozen contractors (along with Lowes and HD) on wood fencing and a deck, I decided to do it myself with the help of a few friends. The savings are covering the the cost of a nice hot tub.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Well that was interesting...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
One click, three posts. Now I know how some of you guys get so many posts
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Are you on dial-up? I never had it happen with DSL, but with dial-up it does sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm still vacilating between wood and vinyl.  Argh.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#20]
What is this vinyl fencing you people speak of????

Haven't you heard of Fencecrete????

http://www.fencecrete.com/
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What is this vinyl fencing you people speak of????

Haven't you heard of Fencecrete????

http://www.fencecrete.com/

I figure when someone is trying to sell something, but won't reveal the price up front, they know it's too high and most people wouldn't even contact them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Decided to go with the site-built wooden fencing.  $3100 instead of $5400.  Probably get a good 12-15 years out of it, can paint it if need-be.  I just can't see spending $2300 more for vinyl if I don't know I'm staying here forever.

I also figured that if a slat gets damaged on a wood fence you can replace just it, but with vinyl you'd have to replace the whole 6 foot section, right?  

I got a price of $2400 if they use pre-done panels, like the ones that Home Depot sells, but I don't think I want to go that route - no telling what you would get then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top