Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 2:00:43 PM EDT
I was just thinking of this. Say the feds bust up a terrorist cell. They find out that within 20 minutes a nuke will be set off. The nuke is within 200 feet of the building they found the people in. The only problem is they are in New York and that 200 feet crosses about 20-30 small appartments. Obviously not enough time to get a search order. Should they go ahead and bust down all the doors looking for a nuke. Or would civil liberties stop them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Given that scenario if you are sure kicking down doors is upholding civil liberties… flatten the whole block is upholding civil liberties.

There ain’t no civil liberties if you are ash.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Given that scenario if you are sure kicking down doors is upholding civil liberties… flatten the whole block is upholding civil liberties.

I agree. I was wondering if their is some special clause somewhere that says something about screwing civil liberties if you know where a nuke is about to explode.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
What would Jack Bauer do?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know about your specific question, but I do know that MANY of our fellow citizens will just give them up without so much as a blink.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. I was wondering if their is some special clause somewhere that says something about screwing civil liberties if you know where a nuke is about to explode.

There is a special clause, it is genetic and know as survival instincts... got to kick in that situation or you are dead.

I don’t remember who but someone once said the Constitution is not a suicide pact.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a special clause, it is genetic and know as survival instincts... got to kick in that situation or you are dead.

I don’t remember who but someone once said the Constitution is not a suicide pact.

Hmm makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
No search warrant needed in an emergency situation.  
The courts have long called it "exigent" circumstances.  
If the scenario you described ever really happened,
I hope and pray there is a federal agent with enough balls
among them who will bust down ever door until they find
it and not try and call a lawyer for a legal opinion !

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was just thinking of this. Say the feds bust up a terrorist cell. They find out that within 20 minutes a nuke will be set off. The nuke is within 200 feet of the building they found the people in. The only problem is they are in New York and that 200 feet crosses about 20-30 small appartments. Obviously not enough time to get a search order. Should they go ahead and bust down all the doors looking for a nuke. Or would civil liberties stop them.

Like the prvious post, "exigent circumstances." Basically, you can make a narrowly directed search if you fear that a person's life is in danger and failing to immediately make entry and conduct the search would lead to death or serious bodily inury to that innocent person. In your case, searching for a nuke, or even a more conventional bomb, that one has good reason to believe in the area and is a bout to detonate, would clearly justify warrantless entry and search for the bomb alone.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
hypothectily i hope they knee cap the son of a bitch till he talks and tells us where it is hypothetically of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top