Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 11:57:14 PM EDT
ikor made a point that caught my attention in another thread, regarding the elderly woman in the video who was disarmed, forcibly removed from her home, and presumably carted off to one of the refugee centers:

An old woman who wished...maybe...to die at her own home, in control of her own destiny, surrounded by the things, and memories that she loves. WTF is so wrong with that?

Now, two thoughts occurred to me:

1. This woman is probably not the only elderly person among the "hold outs" remaining in the city. In fact it would seem likely that there are quite a few, including many elderly couples, as that's just the nature of old folks; stubborn and steadfast.

2. It may be a long shot, but it would seem that, given what happened to this woman, groups like Hospice and other "right-to-a-dignified-death"-type organizations might be enjoined in our protest against what's going on down there.

So my question is obvious: Does anybody here know anybody in the higher echelons of any of these groups? Someone who would actually read an email or accept a phone call, and be able to (assuming they can be convinced it would serve their cause) take action?

Thanks. I'm signing off soon. Those around in the early morning hours, please give this a bump for the day crew.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Too much connotation of death in something like you suggest.

Guns and the right to die.
Doesn't sound too uplifting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Too much connotation of death in something like you suggest.

Hmm...If I were to make contact with one of these groups, I was going to try and concentrate on the forced evacs aspect. But your point is well taken, and I'll be the first to admit I'm grasping at straws here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#3]
AARP (American Association of Retired People)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top