Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:13:33 AM EDT
From our local Mobile news station, WKRG.

Link

Hurricane Katrina victims in Alabama and Mississippi will not get debit cards worth 2-thousand dollars. With some of the confusion about who gets what, people showed at the FEMA Recovery Center in Bayou La Batre looking for the cards.

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the debit cards are only being offered to evacuees from New Orleans staying at the Astrodome.

Alabama hurricane victims like Dorothy Seaman don't agree with how the money is being divided. "We're here to find out when are we gonna get somewhere to live. We don't live in New Orleans,  that's true! We live in Bayou La Batre that's got just as much devastation as they do!"

FEMA representatives say the only way to find out what you are eligible for is by registering by calling 1.800.621.fema.

The people of Bayou La Batre lost their homes and fishing/shrimp boats. No home or jobs but since they didn't evacuate to a government camp . . .

Although, when you consider the powers now being extended over the people still in NO, maybe the .gov not being around is a good thing. Side note, I guess this really doesn't matter, but all the people interviewed were Americans of European descent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
From our local Mobile news station, WKRG.

Link

Hurricane Katrina victims in Alabama and Mississippi will not get debitcrack cards worth 2-thousand dollars. With some of the confusion about who gets what, people showed at the FEMA Recovery Center in Bayou La Batre looking for the cards.

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the debit cards are only being offered to evacuees from New Orleans staying at the Astrodome.

Alabama hurricane victims like Dorothy Seaman don't agree with how the money is being divided. "We're here to find out when are we gonna get somewhere to live. We don't live in New Orleans,  that's true! We live in Bayou La Batre that's got just as much devastation as they do!"

FEMA representatives say the only way to find out what you are eligible for is by registering by calling 1.800.621.fema.

The people of Bayou La Batre lost their homes and fishing/shrimp boats. No home or jobs but since they didn't evacuate to a government camp . . .

Although, when you consider the powers now being extended over the people still in NO, maybe the .gov not being around is a good thing. Side note, I guess this really doesn't matter, but all the people interviewed were Americans of European descent.

I hope they have a daily spending limit and no cash withdrawal on those or they will quickly become  'crack' cards.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone smart enough to leave is left empty handed.

So much for "help"
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing surprises me anymore.    
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Stop calling them Refugees, it's racist!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't be surprised.  The $2000 is simply a political attempt to buy the votes of those who cannot think for themsleves.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Get Ready Houston crew, I just found out that they are going to run out of them today at the Astrodome.

Let the Games begin!!!!

(this comes from a source pulling security there)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Why don't most of these people have jobs yet?  Houston has a decent public transportation system and there are jobs available everyhwere?  They may not be CEO jobs but they're jobs.  I simply do not understand why we give money to able-bodied people who refuse to lift a finger for themselves.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why don't most of these people have jobs yet?  Houston has a decent public transportation system and there are jobs available everyhwere?  They may not be CEO jobs but they're jobs.  I simply do not understand why we give money to able-bodied people who refuse to lift a finger for themselves.

Because the mexicans are doing the jobs they won't.  Haven't you been paying attention.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Stop calling them Refugees, it's racist!

I wanted to call them "WRISTBANDS", but wasn't sure if everyone read the 1st hand accounts from the Astrodome!

I'm not surprised at all. When the story came on the news last night, my wife and I turned to each other and said, "doesn't that sound just a bit Racist?"
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why, in a different thread, I said you need to give them brooms or buckets
and make them work for the gift cards.

They may have lost everything, but who here would feel right about accepting
a handout without offering to do something in return?  Nobody.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#11]
On the radio today during a news break they had a refugee bitching about the debit card saying $2,000 wasn't enough, he had a family of eight to support and there better be more were that came from because they deserved much more than that. Unbelievable.

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme. Of course that is how they have been trained to live life so it isn't that surprising.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
On the radio today during a news break they had a refugee bitching about the debit card saying $2,000 wasn't enough, he had a family of eight to support and there better be more were that came from because they deserved much more than that. Unbelievable.

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme. Of course that is how they have been trained to live life so it isn't that surprising.

The leftists created this monster
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Workfare not welfare. NYC did it. Can't see why they can't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You try to make them work for their government handouts and every other word out of their mouths will be SLAVERY.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Put 'em to work repairing the levees and keep 'em working until it's 50' higher. Pay them twenty bucks an hour, it'll be cheaper in the long run.
Anyone that wont work if they are able.......put them on a barge....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Just because you don't get a debit card doesn't mean you don't get the money. Most people will get the money EFT or mailed to them.

ETA: It is funny how only half the story gets out and makes it look like the distribution of disaster assistance is not fair. Everyone that gets money is interviewed and an application is filed. If it comes out in the end that they are not eligible, the .gov will get their money back.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You try to make them work for their government handouts and every other word out of their mouths will be SLAVERY.  

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Is it a handout if you paid your tax dollars into a program you are now benefitting from? I understand their are people getting money that never work a day in their lives or live of the system, but there are many that have paid all their taxes and worked every day they could.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Cards only going to handed out through this weekend, then there going back to cash and putting money in bank accounts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top