Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:18:08 PM EDT
or destroyed the neighborhood in which they live?

I do not want to sound like a racist, BUT there was WATTS in the 60's, Rodney King Riots in '91 (I lived there and have video), the Detroit Riots.

Is it race or is it economics?

Lablover
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some feeling this wont end well....Hmmmm
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTL
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Oopss... thought you said somethign else.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Edit to add: Happens occasionally throughout history. Make no mistake, blacks are not the only ones to riot and destroy, by even a small margin. It's not an action based upon race, but upon human action and reaction.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
EYE BEE TEA ELLE
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes....In the 60's, only they were called protests against the Vietnam war .

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
we don't proverbially

"shit in our drinking water"  we "shit in other's drinking water"

but hey, to each their own
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes. Check the 1800s when street gangs were forming in Chicago, New York and Detroit.

ETA: Irish immigrants, for the most part. Especially orphaned children banding together and growing up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The New York City Draft Riots of 1863;On Saturday, July 11, 1863, the first lottery of the conscription law was held. For twenty-four hours the city remained quiet. On Monday, July 13, 1863, between 6 and 7 A.M., the five days of mayhem and bloodshed that would be known as the Civil War Draft Riots began.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
IBTL, but here's what "Fred on Everything" said about it yesterday:

A Dismal Reality

September 7. 2005

I was traveling in China when pictures of the looters in New Orleans began to appear on CNN. They were black of course. Looting and raping and burning are what blacks do when the lid loosens. Yes, I could phrase this more cautiously: These things are what some blacks, etc. or, more cutely, not all blacks are looters, but all looters….blah blah.

Yet it happens time and again. There was Los Angeles, burned in 1992. There have been Cincinnati, Miami, Seattle, Washington DC, Chicago, Detroit, Crown Heights, Watts, Newark, on and on and on. When the law loses its grip, the looting begins.

We have come to expect it. Members of my tour group in China to whom I spoke assumed that the looters were black before watching. They had seen it before. I knew it before I saw the pictures. The looters are always black except when, occasionally, they are Latino. If they were looting for food it would be understandable. But that isn’t what is happening. Few of us eat television sets. Nike’s running shoes are not particularly digestible.*

With the dismantling in the Fifties of apartheid in the United States, many hoped that blacks would rise, study, progress, and become genuinely as distinct from formally integrated into the country. I hoped it too, though my expectations were low. Southerners said it would never happen, but were dismissed as prejudiced. They were right.

The melding of the races just hasn’t worked and, if examined honestly, shows few signs of working. Fifty years after the Brown decision, blacks remain unassimilated. They appear to be unassimilable. This, after endless programs, after the nation has turned itself on its head trying to encourage, promote, force, or imagine assimilation.

Integration of the schools degraded the schools, but did little for blacks. Operation Head Start didn’t work. Racial quotas in the universities didn’t work, nor did the awarding of unearned degrees or the establishment of departments of Black Studies. Compulsory integration of restaurants didn’t work. Quotas in hiring, enforced by the federal government, didn’t work. Welfare didn’t work. “Hate-crime” laws didn’t work. Nothing has worked.

These attempts have not been without results, but assimilation of blacks into the country has not been one of them. Compelled hiring by race instead of merit has produced a black middle class, but those so hired are regarded as a sort of tax, a cost of doing business. Saying this aloud is a firing offense, so no one says it in the office. They say it later over a beer. This was not the intended outcome. It is what we got.

Neither race shows much inclination to associate with the other. Left to themselves, they quickly segregate, in housing, on campus, in night clubs. Only heavy federal pressure produces an appearance of togetherheid.

As a police reporter frequently in the hearts of the big cities, I saw the failure with a clarity available to few. The black regions are huge, and they are purely black. Their denizens share little with a society of European derivation. In particular, with not enough exceptions, they seem to regard laws as restraints externally imposed instead of internally felt: When the police go away, so do restrictions on behavior. So do televisions. God help you if you are a white woman. If you don’t believe this, check the Uniform Crime Reports of the FBI. They are on the web.

I am not sure with what instrument one measures passivity, but passivity is what I sensed in the moldering dark regions—people just waiting, for what neither I nor they knew, just going from day to day, except for the gangs, who killed people. There was a smell of violence awaiting its chance. If you think I am imagining this, reflect on the looting and burning that erupt when the lid grows loose. Always there is another city with young blacks carrying television sets from stores.

I do not say these things with rejoicing. Morally it is saddening. For blacks, for whites, for the country the best thing would be that blacks genuinely flourish. They do not.

Something seems inherent in the race, or perhaps embedded in the culture, that does not understand success or morals or responsibility as others understand them. Perhaps, as many suggest, a history of being wards of the state, of being given special aid and special privilege, of having nothing expected of them, has inculcated passivity. Perhaps the persistently noted difference in measured IQ is the explanation. Be that as it may, the blacks of the rioting regions seem to labor under a crippling torpor and a dull, paralyzing lack of concern for those things that define European societies. Or, for that matter, Chinese or Japanese societies. Scholarship, reading, study do not seem to appeal. In Washington, I almost never saw blacks in the art galleries, the museums, or the public libraries. The races do not appear to want the same things, do not value the same things.

Writers speaking of the looting in New Orleans regularly say that poverty causes looting, and that as a society we should do something about it. But why are blacks poor, and what could society do that it has not already tried? Blacks are always poor, in Africa, in Haiti and Jamaica, in New Orleans. It is a global pattern. Would that it were not, but it is. No one knows what to do about it.

With the inevitability of gravitation, commentators attribute the incompatibility with what we think of as civilization to oppression or neglect by whites. Oh? In Washington, the mayor is usually black, along with a majority of the city council and school board. The principals are black, as are most of the teachers, almost all of the students, and their parents. The funding per student is high. Yet the schools are horrifically bad.

Washington could have any schools it wanted: It is hard to imagine anyone denying blacks better textbooks or forbidding the assignment of more homework. I conclude that they do have the schools they want. Perhaps they don’t want schools at all.

Yes, there are exceptions, and they too flee the city’s schools. Unfortunately the exceptions are exceptions.

I will receive mail from blacks telling me that what I am saying is wrong. I wish it were. Yet the riots continue decade after decade and the academic necrosis never clears. The unseen downtowns wait, dead in the water, profoundly isolated from America by their size and homogeneity. From time to time they have exploded, and will explode.

Years back Carl Rowan, the black columnist, wrote a book called “The Coming Race War in America.” It couldn’t quite be ignored, but could be ignored mostly, and was. Though he had moved extensively among whites, Rowan had little grasp of how whites think. He believed that they wanted to grind their heels in black faces. That he was wrong doesn’t matter. If he believed it, one may imagine what the young black males of East St. Louis think. Rowan wrote also of the anger and hatred seething in such places. He had seen it. I have seen it.

What will happen if, or when, the economy weakens under rising Asian competition, if good jobs are shipped to India and gasoline hits unheard of prices and the standard of living falls hard? Under the imposed amity of today there lurks powerful resentment on both sides. Prosperity has held things together. A flourishing nation can afford affirmative action. But when prosperity goes so will the amity. I can think of no solution other than a passport and a Euro account.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Every looter I saw last year in my neighborhood was white.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure

Almost every year the loser of the NCAA basketball tournament trashes their town.

1960-70s Collage kids burning down their campus buildings, destroying private property, terrorizing whole towns… see Kent State for reference for just one of the violence fill riots.

ETA: Virtually ALL of the victims of the violence in NO were black… if it is race based then why victimize your own race.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Gangs of New York.

It's not a race thing, it's a economics thing. When you're poor and desperate these things happen. If those thugs had a little more culture and education in them...

You racist!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh, I forgot the Berkeley hippies in the 80s when the college wanted to turn a shithole of a "park" and turn it into student housing.

Not such a "give peace a chance" place then, believe me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I do not want to sound like a racist, BUT there was WATTS in the 60's, Rodney King Riots in '91 (I lived there and have video), the Detroit Riots.

Lablover

Riots during the Civil war.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Seriously, the Civil War Draft Riots in NYC, black neighborhoods were looted and burned......
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do not want to sound like a racist,

too late...

how is his question racist?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Lots of damage done to college towns and campuses during the riots surrounding Viet Nam war protests in the late 60's and early 70's. White kids BTW.

Riots use to be a annual event at Ohio U during Halloween. Also Akron U during the May day parties. Predominatly white kids again. Then there was nickle beer night at Cleveland municiple stadium in 1974. White people again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Seriously, the Civil War Draft Riots in NYC, black neighborhoods were looted and burned......

And dozens of blacks lynched and murdered…
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#24]

British soccer fans (from the industrial towns in Northern England) would have started eating babies when they got hungry, had they been trapped inside the Superdome.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell, we all pretty well know the answer, but everyone is scared shitless to post anything that could be construed as "racist".

Until the time comes that the American public can have an open and honest exchange regarding race/culture, things will never improve.

And facts are facts.. ( I know they can be twisted)  But STD, illegitimacy rates etc.. are pretty concrete.
Too many folks are being given a "free pass" because it is dangerous to criticize their "culture".
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I can think of no solution other than a passport and a Euro account.

Good riddance to one less euro weenie sucking liberal.  BTW- He lives up to everything I ever observed about dims.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#27]
www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2000/07/07-24-00tdc/07-24-00dnews-7.asp

Do a search on beer, riot, sports, college.  I'm sure you come up with plenty of examples.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Lablover

It's not race,,,,race really doesn't exists,,,it just so happens the looters were of the same so called race.  I understand what your saying,,,, I was hospitalized but a certain race for one reason... i was there at the wrong time.   I dont know what it is with certain people,,,but it is not economics. I have been living off top Ramen for years...I don't riot or steel peoples shit......
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#29]

French Revolution ring a bell?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
French Revolution ring a bell?

10-4
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

British soccer fans (from the industrial towns in Northern England) would have started eating babies when they got hungry, had they been trapped inside the Superdome.  

This occurred to me last week with all the expressed horror in the European press about the chaos in New Orleans.

What if a similar type event took place in Birmingham, England, a city which other than murder has violent crime rates similar to New Orleans. You can bet your ass it would be very nasty.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

too late...

+1. It's a legitimate question, it might be difficult to keep the discussion civil, though. In modern America, the inner-city black culture is a huge problem, and we're supposed to pretend we don't know it. Take a wrong turn in Washington DC sometime, and tell me your instincts don't go to high alert. I had a very educated black roommate in flight school, and we talked about this at length.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Sooooo....

We have our answer.

Some immigrants rioted in the 1860's, and occasionally drunken, stupid sports fans burn dumpsters and tip over cars.

But other than that, it's been a clean slate for white folks and pretty much ceaseless turmoil for inner city black populations.

Not looking good for the black folks here. Since 1860, the only people stupid enough to burn their own neighborhoods down are drunken teenagers.
I'm being mostly tongue in cheek. I don't have anything against black people - I have something against INNER CITY CULTURE, which happens to include mostly blacks. Those that don't align themselves with this sick, violent culture are fine by me. If that's racist, fine and dandy I'm not ashamed of my feelings. They're born of common sense, not hatred.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Lablover

Rome, 476 AD
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can think of no solution other than a passport and a Euro account.

Good riddance to one less euro weenie sucking liberal.  BTW- He lives up to everything I ever observed about dims.

Uh, that's not my quote, it's from the article I referenced.

"Fred on Everything" is extremely conservative - as much a libertarian as P.J. O'Rourke. You'd probably enjoy his columns, even if you don't agree with everything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#36]
In College I learned that the Chinese
were the second largest ethnic group
enslaved in the USA in the 19th Century.
How many Chinese riots have we seen in the
modern 20th and 21st Century? Humm.....

myit
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lablover

It's not race,,,,race really doesn't exists,,,it just so happens the looters were of the same so called race.  I understand what your saying,,,, I was hospitalized but a certain race for one reason... i was there at the wrong time.   I dont know what it is with certain people,,,but it is not economics. I have been living off top Ramen for years...I don't riot or steel peoples shit......

Race does exist, there are three definable, dna testable races.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

too late...

+1. It's a legitimate question, it might be difficult to keep the discussion civil, though. In modern America, the inner-city black culture is a huge problem, and we're supposed to pretend we don't know it. Take a wrong turn in Washington DC sometime, and tell me your instincts don't go to high alert. I had a very educated black roommate in flight school, and we talked about this at length.

Have you seen violent crime rates for cities in England and Scotland… if you have not you need to look because they are very similar to most US cities with large black populations in most instances HIGHER than US rates
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I heard those Zephyrhills looters were ruthless...

So were the Lutz Looters???

WTF are you talking about Pooby ??#$?^^%$?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Plenty O'Whiteboys here.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe he is talking about last years FL Hurricanes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

too late...

Same here Rodent....i have a very good friend here which so happens to be in a Flight school as well...weird.....I know what you mean.   It pisses me off, that people jump to the your a racist bandwagon.  I got my ass kicked for no reason, and i do mean kicked...I took 50 at least stitches to the face,broken nose sliced in the back and leg....why you ask....because i was the only white guy minding my own buisness at my friends party.     I'm far from racist, but i can point out a low life from a mile away.   This goes for all colors....in general i hate everybody....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know...I live within 20 miles--there was no mayhem to speak of

Maybe someone stole a loaf of bread?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Plenty O'Whiteboys here.

members.cox.net/the-macallan/MacsPics1/UAriot1.JPG

members.cox.net/the-macallan/MacsPics2/UARiot3.JPG

your right....plenty of low life mother@#%$^%.....I don't care what color,,,a piece of shit is a piece of shit.  You know.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#45]

So what's the implicit point here:

Is it:

(1) That if New Orleans had been filled with impovrished, unemployed, indigent white people, there would have been discipline, courtesy and tea and crumpets in the Superdome and Convention Center?

(2) Or, is it that white people would never ever have been in the situation of being impovrished, unemployed and indigent - and would never have been stuck in the inner city to start with?

I'm not sure I am convinced by either.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh come on whites only steel bread.

BTW the LA NG has detained quite a few WHITE looters in the last few days that have been coming in to New Orleans and hauling stuff out by the truckload.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#47]
The problem is not race.  It has nothing to do with skin color.  It is cultural.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#48]
civil war?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So what's the implicit point here:

Is it:

(1) That if New Orleans had been filled with impovrished, unemployed, indigent white people, there would have been discipline, courtesy and tea and crumpets in the Superdome and Convention Center?

(2) Or, is it that white people would never ever have been in the situation of being impovrished, unemployed and indigent - and would never have been stuck in the inner city to start with?

I'm not sure I am convinced by either.

It's got nothing to due with the color..........or at least to me...what if it was a bunch of Japs? or whatever....Why the city was even populated is a mystery....nature will always overcome. It's below sea level by a shit pot.........
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh come on whites only steel bread.BTW the LA NG has detained quite a few WHITE looters in the last few days that have been coming in to New Orleans and hauling stuff out by the truckload.

I did not say that--Only you said that!!

What I said is that type of crime is highly unusual where I live

Get some new glasses Max lol  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top