Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 1:12:12 PM EDT
Whose responsibility was maintaining the integrity of the levee wall that flooded New Orleans after Katrina had already passed (was his question). Anybody know?

It seems you could have dropped brand new space shuttles into the hole/breech and saved money given the recent estimates of the cost of the damage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It was Karl Rove.  You haven't been paying attention  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I have read, there is a Levee Board, members appointed by the governor.  And they frittered away a lot of fed money on a gambling boat, a marina, and an airplane, to name a few things.  This benefitted their friends.  (yeah, tell me there is no kickback)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
From what I have read, there is a Levee Board, members appointed by the governor.  And they frittered away a lot of fed money on a gambling boat, a marina, and an airplane, to name a few things.  This benefitted their friends.  (yeah, tell me there is no kickback)

Hah.  Once again, plenty of public officials with lots of authority who refuse to accept any responsibility.  Round and round we go.  Bureaucrat, tree, rope.  Some assembly required.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
George W. Bush was personally responsible for the failed levees. He was also responsible in 1965 when the system failed after hurricane Betsy came through the area. He had forty years to fix the system and he did nothing.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
It was Don McLean's job. He drove his Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Where was that damn Dutch boy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Haliburton, Bush and Chaney.  Reagan should catch a little blame too.  And me.  I should have seen this coming.  I knew.  I did nothing. I hate poor people.  Now you know.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Someone (probably bush)  must have gave him the wrong map. That levee was WET, my friend.

edit:

but 'helter, skelter in the summer swelter' ceretainly applies..........
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
George W. Bush was personally responsible for the failed levees. He was also responsible in 1965 when the system failed after hurricane Betsy came through the area. He had forty years to fix the system and he did nothing.  

Blame the french!www.canadafreepress.com/2005/cover090605.htm

Or Arock, bet they find .50 holes in it....

Then again one of the failed levee theories is penguins pecked holes in the foundation and the rest is history. It is also rumored that GWB doesn't like penguins.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
If we're gonna blame musicians, how 'bout John Fogerty?  He heard a hurricane was a blowin' and the end was comin' soon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

"Management of La Francophonie is Canadian, CIDA is the main source of funds granted by Canada to Francophonie cooperation programs and managed by La Francophonie Affairs Division."

So Striker had something to do with this,  Eh?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#14]
100 billion and rising, thousands of lives lost...hardy har har.

Whoever let the dam burst (was it being monitored? Was there ANY effort to shore it up after water began to spill over it?) and then failed to even slow the flow prior to flooding the entire city is responsible. I agree with Trump on this one.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Bye Bye American Pie!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
100 billion and rising, thousands of lives lost...hardy har har.

Whoever let the dam burst (was it being monitored? Was there ANY effort to shore it up after water began to spill over it?) and then failed to even slow the flow prior to flooding the entire city is responsible. I agree with Trump on this one.  

It's not a dam, it's a levee.  Many, many miles long (perhaps well over 100 miles).  There were several breaks around the city.  The biggest was discovered and they were flying choppers with large sandbags to fill it but they choppers were diverted for humanitarian missions (rescuing people who should have left before the storm).  Also some of the choppers moving sandbags were fired on.  

I don't think the levees are monitored at all.  At least some of the pumping stations can be remotely monitored but apparently not all of them.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Tanerite that fell overboard during a boating accident
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I am hijacking this thread.  Now that the levee broke what are you doing about it AROptic?  I went to the Red Cross yesterday and got certified to go to the area and HELP!  Quit bitching and help.  If you want MY specifics, I will be happy to provide them.  Don't rely on our government and fucking help yourself.  That's what the people in New Orleans should have been doing.  Everyone apparently knew the levees weren't as good as possible.  No one cared.  The feds gave LA more money than any other state for the Corps of Engineers to fix and update the state.  LA spent it on other stuff that has already been mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then again one of the failed levee theories is penguins pecked holes in the foundation and the rest is history. It is also rumored that GWB doesn't like penguins.

Leave the Penguins out of it, just because they are conservative and republican......

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sorry.

When they told me to stick a finger in a dike, their southern accents confused me and ...., well, let's just leave it at that.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw the pictures; there was not a little hole in the levee.  There was no way to fix it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bye Bye American Pie!  Patty

No more pie, Patty?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry.

When they told me to stick a finger in a dike, their southern accents confused me and ...., well, let's just leave it at that.  

She probably bitch slapped you too.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It's the penguins against Bush conspiracy. They are pissed about global warming and losing thier territorial homeland. I heard the Republicans want to drill for oil in Antarctica. The penguins are beyond pissed.

It's all tied into global warming.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#25]
You know, for being a collosial pompus ass, Trump's been making some good points lately.
First the UN Building, now the levies.
It still must be Bushes fault.
or penguins
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't anyone find out who's on this infamous "Levee Comittee" and post pics and scandalous background info.

Inquireing minds want to know.  Don't make me wait five years for the History Channel recount.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I heard it was the CIA.  Their plan to kill all the blacks with AIDS had failed.  Their plan to sterlize the blacks by putting chemicals in Church's chicken also failed.  So the next step was .....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gophers dug some holes in the banks of some water channels near my home in Huntington Beach and our area got considerably more street flooding than other areas till they got it fixed.

I think they used airbags filled on DU.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#29]
The levees that failed were all on canals that run from south to north.  The failed sections are all significantly inland from the lakefront.  They all failed 8-12 hours after the storm passed and the winds wer blowing from the north.

What happened was the winds whipped over the lake, making huge swells that were effectively blocked by the lakefront seawall and levee system but were funneled into the canals that had been DEEPENED for navigation, presumably by gambling barges and other largesse of the Levee Commission.  Fatal error #1.  Making the canals deeper increased the wave volume entering the canals.

The levees were bolstered by a single steel wall.  This thin wall had little immunity to repeated wave action.  What was needed was a double wall, the secondary being a simple sheet pile with the interstitial space filled with sand spoil.  Error #2, lack of any redundancy.  Blame the Levee Commish for using the funds to dredge the canals instead of installing redundant walls.

Had the canal entrances been left shallow, the waves would have broke at the mouth instead of reforming into huge standing waves by the natural higher elevation of the canals.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top