Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2001 12:37:36 PM EDT
If you were to completely immerse an AR15 in water, upon removng it and draining water from the barrel, would you then be able to safely shoot it?  How would you approach the job of cleaning of it afterwards?-Assusming you were immersing it in salt water.  Could you shoot it underwater?-Assuming waterproof ammo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Sitting Bull:
If you were to completely immerse an AR15 in water, upon removng it and draining water from the barrel, would you then be able to safely shoot it?  How would you approach the job of cleaning of it afterwards?-Assusming you were immersing it in salt water.  Could you shoot it underwater?-Assuming waterproof ammo.
View Quote

If you had the water out of the barrel, the gun will function properly assuming no muck made it into the lower or bolt carrier and the ammo has not been drenched.  You should never, ever fire a weapon underwater, or even with the muzzle in the water.  Water is incompressible and several things will happen:  increased pressure from water in the barrel could cause a chamber rupture or locking lug failure;  shock trauma from the blast can cause damage to eyes, ears, sinuses, and possibly respiratory system (assuming you are under water as well), and increased recoil against the water column can lead to muscle and skeletal injury.

As far as cleaning after immersion in any water and especially salt water, complete strip down, rinse with clean, hot water, drying and immediate lube with CLS or a similar penetrating lubricate is necessary to prevent corrosion.  ASAP.  Salt water in particular is hell on steel and aluminum.  Only clean the parts you want to work the next time you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are worried about the water get one of these from:
www.usia.com
USIASYS3000SW
WATERPROOF WEAPONS BAG
(SHOOT-THROUGH)

The USIASYS3000SW Waterproof Weapnos Bag (shoot-through) is constructed from 420 denier junior-ballistic urethane coated pac-cloth. It is stitched and double heat vulcanized. The air/gas tight water tight military grade metal zipper with t-handle, oral inflator, tow ring, and tension straps are all standard features. Built in glove allows weapons to be fired while still in the bag. The bag dimensions are 35wX15hX5d. Available in Black, International Orange, Royal Blue, Camouflage, and Yellow. Available under GSA Contract.

NSN 4220-01-456-0996

U.S.I.A. P.O. Box 1071 St. Helens Or 97051
800-247-8070
OR
if economy is a concern put it in a plastic bag before you go under water.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
But I remember from reading "Glock the New Wave in Handguns" that there is some part necessary to modify Glocks for shooting underwater.  Forget what that part was but it appeared that you could shoot them underwater.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
jackdiamondss - Damn, is that one sweet web site.  I must admit that that bag is very unique.  One would never need to get ones' weapon wet; ever again.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was young I did it.
Blew the gas tube apart.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The G-17, may be equipped with an optional set of maritime spring cups. The maritime spring cups are only available from Glock by special order, and are not intended for use on any model other than the 17 - (NATO Stock Number 1005/25/133/6775).
The 17 is capable of firing repeatedly while submersed under, the action will cycle reliably, if a little bit slower while.  
NATO specification ammunition (Winchester's Ranger RA9124N, with waterproof sealed primers and case mouths work well [i](This applies [u]only[/u] to the G - 17).[/i]

cpermd, be glad the gas tube popped first, if it didn't - the buffer tube would've.
It HURTs![BD]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
why are there always shooting under water questions?is this really something someone would think of doing?it has never entered my mind until someone asks about it over on glock talk about once a week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The drill here for Armalites (Incorrect term but Aussie slang for M16s)is do a quick unload, and vigouriously cock the wpn several times pointing the bbl to the ground, and reload, and carry on. Clean it later on when you got time. It can take a little water (salt or fresh).

After going on nealy 40 yrs of service (1965) here in Aussie, the M16 has proven itself again and again. Although the 7.62mm L1A1 SLR was standard issue during our commitment in the war in Viet Nam, many of our troops carried the 'Armailte', and now, even though the Aussie made Steyr-AUG is in general use, still some troops are using the M16A1 (pre 1970 purchase) and M4 (recent purchase). It should be noted that several thousand 'A1s'are still in service here.

1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
1feral1: ...our commitment in the war in Viet Nam,,,,
View Quote

Sssshhhhh, don't say that out loud -
[i]here was a "police action."[/i]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1feral1: ...our commitment in the war in Viet Nam,,,,
View Quote

Sssshhhhh, don't say that out loud -
[i]here was a "police action."[/i]
View Quote

Since he's from Australia, maybe they labeled it differently?

Like, the Peacekeeping effort in Bosnia was a war before the US showed up. If you know what I mean? [;)]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Sitting Bull:
View Quote

Yes you can I ve done it, my brother has done it , and my friend has done it. upon surfacing the weapon. point down and rechamber to let the water clear and then shoot.
GG
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Absolutely not a problem. Dunk it, clear the water out of the barrel, and shoot it. I've done it before without a hitch.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Welll Now Boys, we should get 'ol Chuck Taylor to try this one out and put it in an article in the Guns & Ammo magazine. He recently published an article about his "undersea Glock torture test",(July issue of HANDGUNS).[0J]

damn smilies :(
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
well the glock underwater adaptor is just to make it work reliably.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top