Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 9:06:57 PM EDT
This is getting ridiculous.  I found a black widow in my laundry room 2 weeks ago.  A HUGE wolf spider in my house on the curtains a week ago.  A hobo spider on my back porch this past weekend.  Now, I just went out to the car to fetch my .38.  I found a black widow on the outside door frame of the front door!!!!  

Is there anything I can put outside/inside my house to get rid of these bastards?  I didn't want to go back in the  house past the evil bastard for poison, so I killed the MF'er with some starting fluid from the garage.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw one for the first time in the back yard this week.

Took a few pictures and then nuked it with brake cleaner and a lighter.

I'd also like to know how to rid the house of these guys.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Wolf spiders are good. Leave him alone.

I think the spiders are coming for you. They want you. They want your FLESH.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found 4 black widows at my house in the past 3 days!!

WTF?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Hairspray + Lighter = Dead  Spider  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is getting ridiculous.  I found a black widow in my laundry room 2 weeks ago.  A HUGE wolf spider in my house on the curtains a week ago.  A hobo spider on my back porch this past weekend.  Now, I just went out to the car to fetch my .38.  I found a black widow on the outside door frame of the front door!!!!  

Is there anything I can put outside/inside my house to get rid of these bastards?  I didn't want to go back in the  house past the evil bastard for poison, so I killed the MF'er with some starting fluid from the garage.  

Yeah.... ME!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I only had two of them...I have to go out after dark about once per week to nuke them. No matter how much I spray, they still come. What freaks me out is the giants who slip by my patrols. Typically, the smaller the web, the larger the widow. The ones I find with the abdomens the size of a marble are the ones that really freak me out. Lots of crickets in my yard for fodder.

My wife thinks I'm crazy when I go out after dark with a flashlight, WD-40 and a lighter. But I have a two-year old, so I have a duty to do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wish I only had two of them...I have to go out after dark about once per week to nuke them. No matter how much I spray, they still come. What freaks me out is the giants who slip by my patrols. Typically, the smaller the web, the larger the widow. The ones I find with the abdomens the size of a marble are the ones that really freak me out. Lots of crickets in my yard for fodder.

My wife thinks I'm crazy when I go out after dark with a flashlight, WD-40 and a lighter. But I have a two-year old, so I have a duty to do.

Do these bastards predominantly come out after dark?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do these bastards predominantly come out after dark?

I think so.

Thats when i nuked him.

1am and i was spraying his hole with brake cleaner. one match makes an impressive fireball.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hairspray + Lighter = Dead  Spider  

He doesn't live in Germany.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think so.

Thats when i nuked him.

1am and i was spraying his hole with brake cleaner. one match makes an impressive fireball.

Potential sig line?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:53:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Black widows are sneaky little buggers. They never build a web somewhere you can see the hour glass, they will always hang upside down if they build up high, or stay upright if they build down low. Like that is going to conceal them??!!  The problem is prevalent here in the south. I use those sticky little pads that they are attracted to, but can't get off of once they touch the glue. Put them on each side of your doors, in your garage, basement, etc. I also use Ortho Home Defense pesticide. A gallon jug of this is only about 15.00 at Home Depot. It can be used indoors or outdoors and seems to be safe around our pets. I spray the perimeter of the house every week, and all the woodwork, windows and doorframes inside after I mop all the floors. The problem with some pesticides is it has to be injested to kill the critter. For example, the scorpion does not wash itself, so it needs a pesticide that gets into its nerve system if touched, not eaten. I'm not sure if widows wash themselves, but my remedy seems to be effective. I think Home Defense attacks the nerves when contact is made.
Hair spray works well, especially in the heat. No need to light them up afterwards, when the hair spray dries, it stiffens them to immobility, as long as you douse them. Oven cleaner kicks ass.
Its interesting to watch them twitch. When in a pinch, use a shoe, preferably someone elses.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]
we have a lot of spides this year- no BW's though thank god.  I bought some new granule bug killer and went all the way around the house edge wiht it.  seems to help and keeps the ants out too!  sweet/w00t.

I try to kill every one i see (spiders)  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have found 4 black widows at my house in the past 3 days!!

WTF?

its a new terror tactic, unleash the black widows on rural america.

Nuke'm from outer space!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#14]
*Insert tasteless joke about Katrina survivors here*
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:09:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was having the same problem at my place this summer too. I used that Ortho Max stuff. They sell the spray and granuals for grass. I sprayed all around the windows and doors with the spray stuff and then I spread the granuals with a hand held fertilizer spreader around the perimiter of the house. I havent seen a spider in my house or around the house for the last 2 months. I also spread the granuals in the bushes and in other areas I think they might be hiding.

Here is the thread I posted a a while ago about this: Spider Problem
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:14:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Anybody ever seen a wolf spider sooooo big, when you approached it, it got up on its hind legs and hissed at you??
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:28:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In Ga, BWs are very common--one of the most common spiders.  However, they aren't common indoors except for places that are well lighted, like window sills, but not often disturbed.   People don't realise how common  they are because healthy BWs will hide when approached--they have exceptionally good eyesight.  

It has been my experience that spider bombs/foggers kill the living shit out of them.  Spiders seem to be easily poisoned.  

All those randomly shaped webs near the ground around the house:  the webs like these that have ver-very strong silk, are BWs.  If one takes a stick or a pencil, and breaks a single strand with it, and if the strand can be clearly heard breaking, it's probably a BW's web.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top