Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 6:18:47 PM EDT
During the days of the AWB, preban guns were a big deal.  Sure, that AR-15 is from 1988, but hey, you can LEGALLY put a bayonet and collapsable butt stock on it.

But, now that the ban is gone, why do sellers still think advertise the guns as "preban" and expect to get a premium price?  Guess what? I can buy the same damn gun for 400 dollars less than you're charging and this one is unfired NIB!

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Because there are people that know just enough about the law to think they need to pay that kind of money.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Because some states have bans based on the federal one. Here the supply of such weapons is fixed. Have a preban ar lower you want to sell me?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Because their pissed they payed alot for it and its not worth alot anymore. Theres only a few band states. I dont think they should be worth as much because not as many people want to buy them. Its not that big of a deal anyway. When was the last time you heard of someone getting in trouble for not being complient with the ban?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Because some states have bans based on the federal one. Here the supply of such weapons is fixed. Have a preban ar lower you want to sell me?

correct they will bring a little  more in auctions and other online ads as banned state guys want them astill and will pay a little  more for them
Ill give a little more for a preban gun that comes in on trade
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Good point.  I keep forgetting that there are state bans.  We're spoiled here

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Many gun dealers are just crooks thats why.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
fuckin' massachusetts
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing about the "pre-bans" they should have %100 factory parts.  AKs,FAL's and such that are newly made have US parts.  Some of these are questionable at best.(Century Arms)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
fuckin' massachusetts

Couldn't agree more. While I go to school in Maine, unless I want to leave my guns at school over the summer all my guns need to be AWB compliant. Guess what is really, really not funny: the thought of paying 30+ dollars for USGI ar mags now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Somebody should set up some kind of exchange that brings people together, those with preban stuff they want to sell, and people living in ban states. Right now its a real pain in the ass to look around for pre-ban stuff and the prices vary to a large degree.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Some got their degrees at the P. T. Barnum School of Business.  Some think their customers went there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Somebody should set up some kind of exchange that brings people together, those with preban stuff they want to sell, and people living in ban states. Right now its a real pain in the ass to look around for pre-ban stuff and the prices vary to a large degree.

It's called the "EE."  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:20:09 AM EDT
[#13]

A pre 94 gun is worth a couple hundred more bucks in a state that still has a ban like NY.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

correct they will bring a little  more in auctions and other online ads as banned state guys want them astill and will pay a little  more for them
Ill give a little more for a preban gun that comes in on trade

There was a guy at the last Lincoln gunshow with an older Romanian AK47, listed as "Pre-ban, need money, must sell", it did have a drum mag (no biggie), the price? $900.00! I can buy a new one, and a drum for considerably less. He still had it at the end of the show. One other point, a lot of people bought pre-bans when it really did mean something, and they're now "upside down" on value. They paid top dollar for something that the bottom fell out on last year. That HAS to hurt. I think some of these guys are just trying to recover their losses on an impulse buy.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#15]
A local shop has a "Pre-ban AR-180" for $999.

They've had it a long time.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top