Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 11:18:21 AM EDT
I was thinking of buying this knife from a local gun dealer for a really good price. What I was wondering though this is a "heavy duty" knife and the steel, 440V I have heard is not a hard use steel and is brittle and can chip easy. I hear it holds it's dege extreemly well but is not very tough. Does anyone have any experance using this steel and how does it hold up with every day use and some heavy use?

I really like the knife and design but am weary of the steel. Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You should look at getting one of their knives in ATS-34. It's much better steel IMHO. The newer models all pretty much come in ATS-34, upgraded from AUS-6 or 440. He is probably selling it that cheap to get rid of his back stock to make room for the new stuff.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
SOG

colt  I carry this one every day

benchmade    are might fine knives,  that is the majority of my collection  

colt another fine addition

that web site has alot of good info on the type of metals for knives.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I have several knives in ATS34 and it is a great steel! I was just wondering if the stuff I heard about 440V was true. Anybody use this steel?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
bump
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have first hand experience with 440V steel.  This steel is not the same as 440C.   If I recall, it is a Crucible brand powdered steel, and it was actually introduced *substantially* after 154CM and the equivalent ATS-34 steel.  154 CM has been around since David Boye wrote his book on knifemaking, and that was the early 80s.  ATS-34 came probably late 80s, early 90s.  

Some of the earlier uses of 440V were with wood lathe turning tools.  

The knife community has gotten away from this steel; S30V is now the industry darling, and in fact Spyderco is now turning current production Chinooks in this steel.

If it were me I'd pass, but I don't have a good reason to.  

You'd be much better off posting this question somewhere on Bladeforums.com.

agrussell.com also has a section on knife steels, although I am not sure if 440V steel is described.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump and thanks for the replys!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing wrong with 440V, very nice steel, though a pain in the ass to sharpen, as it gets too hard.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Found this one the web, not sure if it has merit:

CPM T440V - CPM T420V

Two steels that hold an edge superbly, world class type edge holding, but it's difficult to get the edge there in the first place.  These steels are both high in vanadium.  Spyderco offers at least one model in CPM T440V.  Custom maker Sean McWilliams is a big fan of 440V,which he forges.  Depending on heat treatment, expect to have to work a bit harder to sharpen these steels. For 440V, don't expect ATS-34 type toughness. 420V is CPM's follow-on to 440V, and with less chromium and almost double the vanadium, is more wear-resistant and may be tougher than 440V.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the knife! It is such a good desigh and solid built and I just could not pass up the great price! This is the first time I have used 440V so I hope it proves to be a good steel and holds up well! Thanks for the replys!

Any other info on this steel is welcome! Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't have first hand experience with 440V steel.  This steel is not the same as 440C.   If I recall, it is a Crucible brand powdered steel, and it was actually introduced *substantially* after 154CM and the equivalent ATS-34 steel.  154 CM has been around since David Boye wrote his book on knifemaking, and that was the early 80s.  ATS-34 came probably late 80s, early 90s.  

Some of the earlier uses of 440V were with wood lathe turning tools.  

The knife community has gotten away from this steel; S30V is now the industry darling, and in fact Spyderco is now turning current production Chinooks in this steel.

If it were me I'd pass, but I don't have a good reason to.  

You'd be much better off posting this question somewhere on Bladeforums.com.

agrussell.com also has a section on knife steels, although I am not sure if 440V steel is described.

Last I heard Crucible was run out of business by the Chinese.... True?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Whoa! Never heard that! S30V is selling faster then they can make it and I think Crucible is the only one that can make it. Hope that is not true.

Anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Whoa! Never heard that! S30V is selling faster then they can make it and I think Crucible is the only one that can make it. Hope that is not true.

Anyone know for sure?

It may have only been true in one of their casting lines. i know they dont make permanent magnets anymore. Hitachi and Crucible (I think) were the two big ones in that game and the Chinese whipped them up one side and down the other in costs. I thought I heard they drove Crucible right out of business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top