Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 8:21:00 AM EDT
NIAGARA FALLS, Ontario - An enterprising young killer whale at Marineland has figured out how to use fish as bait to catch seagulls — and shared his strategy with his fellow whales.

"One day I noticed one of the young whales appeared to have come up with a procedure for luring gulls down to the pool," the professor said. "I found it interesting so I noted it in my log."

First, the young whale spit regurgitated fish onto the surface of the water, then sank below the water and waited.

If a hungry gull landed on the water, the whale would surge up to the surface, sometimes catching a free meal of his own.

Noonan watched as the same whale set the same trap again and again.

Within a few months, the whale's younger half brother adopted the practice. Eventually the behavior spread and now five Marineland whales supplement their diet with fresh fowl, the scientist said.

"It looked liked one was watching while the other tried," Noonan said of the whale's initial behavior.

The capacity to come up with the gull-baiting strategy and then share the technique with others — known as cultural learning in the scientific world — was once believed to be one of those abilities that separated humans from other animals.

But biologists have since proven certain animals, including dolphins and chimps, do this.

"This is an example in which a new behavior spread through a population," Noonan said. "We had the opportunity to see a tradition form and spread in exactly the way that cultures do in humans."

He first shared his research earlier this month at the U.S. Animal Behavior Society Conference in Utah. Since then, he said, his phone hasn't stopped ringing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
blame Canada
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
blame Canada Bush

Fixed!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Amazing.

Of course, anyone who has been to Sea World has to admit that killer whales are smart animals.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet! Maybe the Navy should've used Orcas for their biological weapons program instead of dolphins.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#5]
When the start spittin up Ribeye's, I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sweet! Maybe the Navy should've used Orcas for their biological weapons program instead of dolphins.

they all ready have them, and a few other types..
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember reading about some kind of monkey.  Some scientest threw rice in the sand, and one figured out they could throw handfuls of sand/rice in the ocean and the rice would float... scoop up and eat.

BTW, I don't think "Monkey see, monkey do" really counts as intelligence!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
You've got to be crazy to be one of the trainers that jump in the water with these orcas.  Taste for blood is a bit un-nerving.

We're ok unless they can be zombie-ized.  Then we're screwed.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
they all ready have them, and a few other types..

Ah perfect, I can see a SEAL operator riding an Orca to shore with guns blazing! And he's yelling, "Yo Joe!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I remember reading about some kind of monkey.  Some scientest threw rice in the sand, and one figured out they could throw handfuls of sand/rice in the ocean and the rice would float... scoop up and eat.

maybe not higher intelligence, but it for sure is intelligence.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So almost no people are intelligent.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm not sure I follow.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#16]
That's cool as hell.

Here's another Orca story with a graphic photo of a whale dying spewing blood everywhere (warning)

http://www.thememoryhole.org/whale-death.htm
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure I follow.

The monkey is smarter then.  

Nevermind I see what he's saying now. The monkey would take the sand/rice mix and throw it in the water to seperate the sand and rice. From the way he worded it, it sounded like a researcher was throwing it in the water.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I was at the Maui Ocean Center this summer and listened to a presentation on shark behavior.  Apparently great white sharks have learned that there's tasty meat to be had in kayaks off the coast of California and Baja.  There has been an increase in the number of missing kayakers and when the kayaks are recovered they're empty.  Maybe it's all supposition but there have apparently been a couple verified attacks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you all ever seen the video of the 2 killer whales killing the whale shark?

team work I tells ya

I'm not having any luck finding the video, but still looking.

anyone got the video?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Have you all ever seen the video of the 2 killer whales killing the whale shark?

team work I tells ya

I'm not having any luck finding the video, but still looking.

anyone got the video?

I saw a Discovery special on Killer Whales.  There's a Pod of these suckers  that's learned to ride waves up onto the beach to catch seals.  It's amazing to watch.  I'm glad Humans aren't on their menu.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I was at the Maui Ocean Center this summer and listened to a presentation on shark behavior.  Apparently great white sharks have learned that there's tasty meat to be had in kayaks off the coast of California and Baja.  There has been an increase in the number of missing kayakers and when the kayaks are recovered they're empty.  Maybe it's all supposition but there have apparently been a couple verified attacks.

crosses sea kayaking off of the list of things to do
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Or donuts...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It called observational learning and if you didn't do it yourself, you would probably be considered a moron.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Orcas rule!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#27]
All killer whales need to learn how to do this.  The fewer sewer falcons (gulls) that we have, the cleaner our boats & beaches.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#28]
There was a study years ago similar to this with dolphins

They had 2 captive dolphins in separate tanks where they could not SEE each other but they could hear each others 'noises'

on the wall of each tank was a grid of different shapes in different colors.  they showed the one dolphin how to get food by pushing the one green triangle in with his nose.  doing this worked like a candy machine and ejected a fish for the dolphin to eat.  so every time it was hungry, it would go over and push teh button and get food

on the second dolphin they did nothing, just let it swim around.  they were also monitoring the communication 'sounds' between the two and as the second dolphin became more and more hungry (not sure how long this took) the communication of clicks and other sonar stuff between the two increased and seemed to become more tense.

the second dolphin then went over to his identical panel of shapes/colors and pushed the green triangle and got his fish on the first try.

my dad told me this from an article he read years ago.  this is what i remember, if anyone finds this actual story / article please post the link in this forum because i want it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
There was a study years ago similar to this with dolphins

They had 2 captive dolphins in separate tanks where they could not SEE each other but they could hear each others 'noises'

on the wall of each tank was a grid of different shapes in different colors.  they showed the one dolphin how to get food by pushing the one green triangle in with his nose.  doing this worked like a candy machine and ejected a fish for the dolphin to eat.  so every time it was hungry, it would go over and push teh button and get food

on the second dolphin they did nothing, just let it swim around.  they were also monitoring the communication 'sounds' between the two and as the second dolphin became more and more hungry (not sure how long this took) the communication of clicks and other sonar stuff between the two increased and seemed to become more tense.

the second dolphin then went over to his identical panel of shapes/colors and pushed the green triangle and got his fish on the first try.

my dad told me this from an article he read years ago.  this is what i remember, if anyone finds this actual story / article please post the link in this forum because i want it.

I'd like to read that as well. interesting indeed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Orcas rule!

+1

I totally want to go diving off Vancouver island some summer, and try to see one in the water.

If I'm lucky, they're smart enough to tell the difference between a human in scuba gear and a seal.  If not, I'll be just as famous as that idiot who got eaten by bears!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Whale sharks are toally harmless creatures - but I have seen a video of Orcas killing a humpback whale calf - by chasing the mother and calf until they were exhausted, and then drowning the calf by holding it underwater.  

Smart animals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Have you all ever seen the video of the 2 killer whales killing the whale shark? team work I tells ya I'm not having any luck finding the video, but still looking. anyone got the video?

I found an article where the mother Orca took one out for it's baby! www.cnn.com/EARTH/9710/08/whale.vs.shark/
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

More intelligent than those that stayed in New Orleans!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top