tag
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheat sheet?
Lame dude, lame...

~Dg84
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The season starts tomorrow.  You're drafting today?  

The short answer is that it all depends on your scoring system.

That said, I've used Grogan's for the last two years.  You can find it at any bookstore for $6-7.  

For the regular season, if you're in a money league you may want to consider forking out $30 for a yearly subscription to Draftsharks.  I have been in two money leagues (payouts are typically $400-700 so it's not chump change) so I have found it worthwhile to subscribe.  

For the first year, I made it to the conference championship game and lost to the eventual SB winner.  Last year, I won the SB so I netted $350.    

To be honest, I attribute my success more to Draftsharks than to Grogan's.  I usually don't draft very well but based on timely free agent/trade advice from Draftsharks, I usually right my ship and get chugging along.  

I have not used Draftshark's draft service (it's $43 for the yearly subscription plus their MVP draft board setup) so I can't comment there.  That said, I think I will give it a try.  The Draftsharks MVP draft system lets you customize your draft board to your league's scoring rules, number of teams and other items.  They also rank individual defensive players.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice.  My league(s) are typically smaller.  This year's league is only 10-11 teams.  We had 14 at one point.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I did FF for the first time last year. I ended up 3rd in my league.

I'll never do it again.

I got WAY TOO into it and it just took up too much of my time and concentration.

Sucked me right in.

I was watching every football game and constantly tweaking my team and worrying about guy's stats that I could have cared less about otherwise.

I just couldn't help myself. It was like an addiction.

I just couldn't force myself to leave my team alone. I found myself not concetrating at work and my wife was getting a little irritaded about all the time I spent on it.

FF is like crack.

Hello, my name is NewbHunter, and I am a recovering FFaholic...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#7]
www.fftoday.com heads my list of links.  probably the best FF forums on the web, and very good free resources on the site.  they're considering going to a pay for membership format, so get while the getting's good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree, it can be addicting and time consuming.  But it's fun!  

Quoted:
I was watching every football game and constantly tweaking my team and worrying about guy's stats that I could have cared less about otherwise.

I know what you mean.  I force myself to watch only Eagles games (my team).  As for the rest of the games, what will happen will happen.  If I see the results of another game on the tagline during an Eagles game, great.  If not, I will find out the next day when I log into my account.

I also save time by using the DraftSharks weekly info service.  They send 2-3 e-mails per week with regular updates and roster info.  There's no need to scour the web for info when it gets delivered to your door (actually, inbox).  It's only $30 per season and with me winning $350 last year, it was more than worth the money.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Send me your eamil address and I'll attach one from "TheHuddle.com".
You can sign up for 20.00/year or I can just send an attachment with the sheet.
specify td only or performance scoring.
Tim
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Did pretty good I think...

J.Harrington-Det
P.Holmes-KC
A.Gates-SD
P.Edinger-Min
C.Martin-Jets
Michael Clayton-TB
A.Randle El-Pit
Ravens

Looks pretty decent. J Harrington was an absolute dud for me last year though. Other than that looks good.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree, I think you had a decent draft.  We had some people on auto-draft and they got screwed.  One girl (well, the only girl in our league) ended up with 4 QBs and 3 DSTs.    I play her team this week and out of her two WRs, one will probably not play (Joey Porter).  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#15]
just a heads-up, as these guys may have gone undrafted and will be sitting on the wire:

antonio bryant--having a better camp than braylon edwards.
ashley lelie--benefitting from rice's leadership.  rod smith is viable in PPR leagues.
k mccardell--under the radar, but developing good chemestry with brees.
amani toomer--had a down year in 04, but has always been dangerous.  plax will force changes to D schemes.
charles rogers--with r williams emergence last year, people forget that rogers was higher rated coming out of college.  if you have a spot, grab him.

kurt warner--with the new weapons in phoenix, he will be a very good matchup start some weeks.

indy D/ST--they give up a lot of points, but make a lot of plays.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Made my own, based upon a ten-team league. If you are interested in the skinny, IM me. It's 100 players deep.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh yeah:

P. Manning (QB-Ind)
A. Green (RB-GB)
J. Jones (RB-Dal)
TJ Houshmandzadeh (WR-Cin)
R. Brown (RB-Mia)
C. Chambers (WR-Mia)
P. Burress (WR-NYG)
M. Moore (RB-Min)
Dallas Defense
B. Stokley (WR-Ind)
J. Delhomme (QB-Car)
E. Manning (QB-NYG)
J. Wiggins (TE-Min)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
just a heads-up, as these guys may have gone undrafted and will be sitting on the wire:

I agree with most of what you wrote.  I'm not sure about McCardell.  I had him last year, and I thought he was going to bust out when he became SD's #1 WR when Eric Parker went down.  The production wasn't there and he is the only one (out of the ones you listed) who has not been drafted or picked up my league.

Oh yeah:

QB P. Manning, C. Pennington (yes, I know they have the same bye week )
RB  R. Johnson, L. Jordan, K. Barlow, T. Jones
WR  H. Ward, E. Kennison, D. Branch
TE  T. Gonzales, H. Miller
K J. Brown
DST ATL, MIN

10 team league
6 pts rushing/passing TD
0.5 pts per 10 yards rush
0.2 pts per 10 yards passing
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh yeah:

P. Manning (QB-Ind)
A. Green (RB-GB)
J. Jones (RB-Dal)
R. Brown (RB-Mia)
C. Chambers (WR-Mia)
P. Burress (WR-NYG)
M. Moore (RB-Min)
Dallas Defense
B. Stokley (WR-Ind)
J. Delhomme (QB-Car)
E. Manning (QB-NYG)
J. Wiggins (TE-Min)

very nice team up top, but i'm curious about the 3 QBs.  it occurs to me that another WR might come in handy.  there are some guys floating around who could well post good #s.  remember that TJ and stokely both score in streaks, and that chambers will have to cope with the less-than-desireable QB situ in mia.  

i suspect that koren robinson went undrafted, and he's only a few years away from a 1200/7.  headcase, certainly, but might be more valuable on the roster than minimanning.

awfully nice to get manning and 2 featured backs.  well done.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with most of what you wrote.  I'm not sure about McCardell.  I had him last year, and I thought he was going to bust out when he became SD's #1 WR when Eric Parker went down.  The production wasn't there and he is the only one (out of the ones you listed) who has not been drafted or picked up my league.

Oh yeah:

QB P. Manning, C. Pennington (yes, I know they have the same bye week )
RB  R. Johnson, L. Jordan, K. Barlow, T. Jones
WR  H. Ward, E. Kennison, D. Branch
TE  T. Gonzales, H. Miller
K J. Brown
DST ATL, MIN

10 team league
6 pts rushing/passing TD
0.5 pts per 10 yards rush
0.2 pts per 10 yards passing

manning, 2 featured backs, TG, and ward--that's a NICE 5 rounds, especially in a 6pt for passTD league.  don't beat yourself up about the bye weeks.  remember that you're not just drafting players, you're accumulating commodities for the trade block.  come week 6, a lot of guys will be looking longingly at gonzalez, and a package deal with pennington could bring you a top-tier WR plus compensation if the circumstances are right.

when you look at mccardell, don't hold last year against him.  i did that in 04, and passed on tiki barber because he was roster junk for me in 03.  if i hadn't, i would have finished 1st in overall scoring, 1st in record, and probably won the SB, instead of finishing 3rd.  your WRs are the only real area of concern for your team, and a mccardell, k robinson, or a terry glenn can be a very smart investment of a roster spot.  q morgan is another guy who might make a lot of noise with pittsburgh.

look also at the jags' guys.  after all, leftwich has to throw the ball somewhere, and jones looks to be a red-zone monster.  curry in oak is probably gone, too, but he can get things done.

overall though, nice draft.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh yeah:

P. Manning (QB-Ind)
A. Green (RB-GB)
J. Jones (RB-Dal)
R. Brown (RB-Mia)
C. Chambers (WR-Mia)
P. Burress (WR-NYG)
M. Moore (RB-Min)
Dallas Defense
B. Stokley (WR-Ind)
J. Delhomme (QB-Car)
E. Manning (QB-NYG)
J. Wiggins (TE-Min)

very nice team up top, but i'm curious about the 3 QBs.

Trade bait, my friend. Atleast one of the backups (Delhomme and E. Manning) is going to have a fantastic year. Maybe even both will.

it occurs to me that another WR might come in handy.  there are some guys floating around who could well post good #s.

I will get my stud receiver when either Delhomme or E. Manning gets hot.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
when you look at mccardell, don't hold last year against him.  i did that in 04, and passed on tiki barber because he was roster junk for me in 03.  if i hadn't, i would have finished 1st in overall scoring, 1st in record, and probably won the SB, instead of finishing 3rd.  your WRs are the only real area of concern for your team, and a mccardell, k robinson, or a terry glenn can be a very smart investment of a roster spot.  q morgan is another guy who might make a lot of noise with pittsburgh.

look also at the jags' guys.  after all, leftwich has to throw the ball somewhere, and jones looks to be a red-zone monster.  curry in oak is probably gone, too, but he can get things done.

overall though, nice draft.

Thanks for the compliment.  

Yeah I know my WR corps needs work, aside from Ward.  The thing with Branch is that Tom Brady spreads the ball around too much.  Like last night ... Branch caught 3 passes and had a TD but he threw to 5-6 different receivers (I think that may include RBs).  Branch is not a reliable starter in FF, especially in a TD-heavy league like mine.  

You are right, Curry is gone as well. I think the only guy left is McCardell.   I'm thinking I could cut one of my backup RBs (although you can never really have enough RBs), WRs (Branch) or maybe TE to pick him up.  Cutting MIN's defense is another option except that I have them starting this week (ATL DST will be my primary DST but this week against PHL is not a good matchup).  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Question, Why do they constantly have to post those damn point spreads across the bottom of the screen when I watch hunting shows on ESPN ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

keenan still on the wire?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:58:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Ha, he had 2 TDs yesterday!  Too bad he's gone from our waiver wire.

One wonders whether his production will drop after Gates is back in the lineup, but McCardell is definitely a good pickup either way.

BTW I won this week, 57 to 45.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top