Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 3:37:23 PM EDT
Some may remember I am a hospital nursing supervisor down here in Louisiana, I have been working since last Saturday. I have 'till Saturday off unless things get hairy again.
Have not seen but one channel (local Baton Rouge) of news, no cable or internet, just radio.
I am jonesin' for the dirt.....what  "we" (mostly) like  minded posters and other conservatives have to say.
I have many post to post and info to share after a shower.
Does the "lite version" button up top make this faster for dial-up? How did we ever do this?
Oh yeah Charter Sucks! Cingular Sucks also!

Update.
Shower complete.
I just read my last thread made during the storm
In hindsight kind of interesting.
I did have to get on the roof to tie it down during the storm, had a 14 ft ladder ripped out of my hands. I have to patch some loose aluminum on the roof when I get to it.The trees on my land are still bent as I write, lost some tin off the chicken coop and screen off the porch. My yard hens were missing but came back after a couple of days.
Besides limbs, no power, no water,  no internet/cable/phone we were very lucky.

EVERYONE NOTE: MY FAMILY WAS VERY LUCKY, I HAVE NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.
I HAVEN'T "BEEN THERE, DONE THAT", I AM JUST SHARING.
On to the lessons lived and learned:

1.Transportation:As I had posted, the trucks were topped off the night of the storm, we still have gas. Motorcycle stays full.

2.Power:I had my generator serviced at the beginning of the season (some people do listen!). It was only a 3000W (a honda) but it did keep fans turning, and lights/refrigerator/radio on.
I now have 5550w new in the box I will probably sell and get a 12000w yamaha with a natural gas adapter. It will still burn gas. People are with out natural gas here, but what's the chances? Better to be able to use both and for under 300 bucks for the adapter....
There was/is mass stealing of generators. I know a woman in Baton Rouge who went without power for days because she was afraid to turn hers on!!  
I will create a space for mine to cover noise and conceal power line.

NOT ENOUGH CAN BE SAID FOR THE POWER CREWS!!

3. Fuel:I worked the Monday NIGHT after the storm so MonDAY  I went to Baton Rouge for additional gas containers and to check on family. I got there early and watched the town wake up in panic. I had to go to 6 places, that were open, many were closed due to  storm related problems, and Ionly got 2-5 gallon and 4- 2 gallon cans!! In the time it took to fill them and top off the truck the tensions grew and lines began to develop.
We did make one more run to B.R. for some central air and a hot shower, so we picked up a larger generator, topped off all gas , and returned to find power but nothing else turned on.
WE NEVER WAITED MORE THAN 5 MINUTED FOR GAS because we were prepared!! In hindsight we could have made it with out resupply. Driving to B.R. twice took some fuel.

4.Water: I now want a simple well with a hand pump. Luckily my wife filled the tubs (PREPARE) for wash water and toilets, ect.
I did take a couple of baths in the kiddie pool.
We buy filtered water at Wallyworld (25 cents/gallon) and always have many gallons on hand.
Worse comes to worse we have a  pond and a pot to boil water.
NOTE TO EVERYONE: TAKE WATER OVER POWER ANY DAY!!!

5.Supplies....I am glad I didn't need anything. All the stores allowed a few customers at a time. I guess lessons learned in Florida or somewhere.

6. Communication: none. I did hear that Verizon did not go down. I was done with Cingular, now I'm really over it. Even today calls (land and cell) are hit and miss. Charter is still not up for cable or internet, and they have no dial up back up!! They are VERY on my shit list.

We were totally isolated at home and  work. Man, what an eye opener. When I say totally, I mean totally, I mean you would have to be there or "have" been there (somewhere else to understand!) but that's another post.
This is all off the top of my head, so much has happened it all runs together. Now my family is totally back to normal and never really had a reason to complain (we didn't).
Many people need and deserve help. We are doing what we can. Thanks for offers of help on the thread, we are fine. I will not ned the AOL disc as I am convinced AOL is the devil.

Sorry so long, I'm sure I lost half my readers 10 minuteds ago!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  I think we're going to be more jonesin' for what you have to say.

ETA: Glad you're ok.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome back bro!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Screw paying for it if the post office is working I will send you some of those AOL cd's you can get three months for free.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Does the "lite version" button up top make this faster for dial-up? How did we ever do this?
Oh yeah Charter Sucks! Cingular Sucks also!

yes, extremely faster! I'm glad you are OK.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Need anything?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Added to above: If YOU personally need ANYTHING IM me. If I cannot obtain it I may know someone who can.

I'm sending off about 200lbs. of clothes to your area tomorrow from myself, the missus and our kids. Apparently kids' clothes are in short supply???

If you need anything let us know man. You'd do the same for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
HELOBRAVO: Thanks for the post, please keep us informed about what's going on down there. The talking heads at  WWL & WKRP get side tracked too easily, listening to some of their streaming internet video banter is a waste of time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top