Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 4:51:51 PM EDT
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. IM AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER AND TYPING THIS FROM MY PHONE.

I HAVE A 1 HP AC MOTOR THATS 1 PHASE.  I ALSO HAVE A 1 TO 2HP VFD THAT OUTPUTS 3 PHASE 220V.

COULD I RUN THE MOTOR OFF OF ONE OF THE PHASES OF THE VFD? OR ARE 1PHASE AC MOTOR INCAPABLE OF VARIABLE FREQ DRIVE?

THANKS!
MY THUMBS HURT FTOM THE LITTLE KEYS NOW
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure it has to be a 3 phase motor. I run a TECO VFD on my Bridgeport, matched setup from Dealers Electric Supply in NY (NJ now). They have great deals.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Get somebody to hold your beer and try it!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
heheh..here, hold my beer!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If the drive is worth it's salt it will fault out when it senses that it is drawing more current on two legs due to the fact that one leg is open.

What kind of drive? Was it

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not an electrician, but have connected some industrial single and three phase equipment.

FIRST check the data plate on the motor.  It will spec voltage, amperage and freguency.  Then check your source.  I'm not familiar with a vfd.  If it was commercial power I want to make sure that the voltage (in my area usually 208) matches and that there is sufficient current available.  Make sure the frequency is supported by your vfd.

IF THE SPECIFICATIONS are compatible, then connect the single phase motor accross two of the poles of the supply.  YOU MIGHT CHOOSE TO USE A VOM TO CHECK THE VOLTAGE FIRST!.

If you look at a three phase panel, you will see how a three phase 208vac breaker connects to all three input poles, a single phase 208 vac breaker connects to two input poles, and a 117vac breaker connects to only one pole (other connection to the neutral).

Standard disclaimer goes here.

Seriously, you are dealing with enough power to get hurt.  Don't push your luck.

Again, use the VOM to test with.

Tcom
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought ths stuff on ebay. I bought the outstanding Freq drive cheap on ebay with plans of getting a proper 3 phase motor for it....then a few days later the pump of my dreams came on ebay for an outstanding price. So I bought it even though the motor is a 1 phase. ( I think its one phase, I havent recieved it in the mail yet)

Now the VFD website says that it can output 1phase or 3phase, but the label plate on the VFD says "output 3 phase", so im getting confilicting info from the manufacturer

....it was my understanding that only 3 phase motors could be speed controlled with a VFD and not single phasers. Am I wrong?

I may just hook all the shit up and plug'er in    [I have a Fluke...Ill use first. Im an electronics person by trade however I only work with low voltage DC. 3 phase motors n shit is new to me even though I was trained on it 10 years ago...guess, if you dont use it - you lose it]

heres all the known specs for the models:

Danfoss Variable Speed Frequency Drive VLT Micro

IN:  200-240V  AC  50/60Hz 11.5A  
OUT:  0-240V  AC  0.1-400Hz 5.0A  

The Ideal Drive for Limited Space

The VLT® MICRO is the perfect drive for OEMs and panel builders needing a small AC motor control in the 1/2 to 2 HP, 230 VAC and 1 to 3 HP, 460 VAC range. It offers a small footprint, sophisticated control and a user friendly keypad. To top it off, it has excellent reliability and simple functionality ... all at a low price!

VLT MICRO Features and Benefits

• Simple installation

• Panel or optional DIN rail mount

• Optional remote keypad mounting kit

• Compact overall size saves space and installation cost

• Designed for: 1/2 to 2 HP, 230 VAC constant torque applications and 1 to 3 HP, 460 VAC constant torque applications

• Programmable DC braking makes it easier to adapt the unit to various applications

• All models are enclosed in a protected chassis (IP 20) and are UL and cUL listed

• Easy access to all terminal connections

• Programmable digital inputs and outputs

• Forced air-cooled

• Low noise operation

• Provides DC performance from a low cost and low maintenance AC motor

• Overload current — 150% of rated current for 1 minute

• Automatic voltage regulation

• S-curve or linear ramp profiles

• Momentary power failure restart

• Parameter lock/reset

More information at:  www.namc.danfoss.com/products/micro/index.html.

New in box condition.  Manual included.

This is a new Jabsco Flexible Impeller Pump still in box,Model 30510-4001.Max Flow (GPM): 10,Max Pressure (PSI): 30,Wetted Materials: 316 SS, Neoprene, Carbon, ceramic Connections: 3/4" FNPT.
Comes with Leesen Motor:HP-3/4,RPM-1725,ENCL-TEFC,HZ-60,V-208-230,FLA-10.8,FLA-5.4,SLA-11.4,SFA-5.7,Fr-D56C

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Like was already said.  If you hook your single phase motor up to that 3 phase VFD it should fault on a "single phasing" condition.  You will only be drawing on 2 "legs" and the third will be zero, which would indicate to the VFD that you are "single phasing" which would ruin a 3 phase motor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Like was already said.  If you hook your single phase motor up to that 3 phase VFD it should fault on a "single phasing" condition.  You will only be drawing on 2 "legs" and the third will be zero, which would indicate to the VFD that you are "single phasing" which would ruin a 3 phase motor.

I think it may be programable by motor type. I'll have to check on it.  

If it doesnt work, I'll probably have to buy a 3 phase motor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool,

You must have bought that hydroponics setup off of the EE the other night.

Anyway,  I have seen a ABB drive similar to what you have there, that drive would take single phase low voltage (208-220) and output 3 phase low voltage (220).  

I don't think it is gonna work with your single phase motor.  However,  That drive is nice enough that it ain't gonna smoke just from you trying to run the single phase motor with it.  Worst case senario is it will fault out with a phase imbalance fault.  best case it will work.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. IM AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER AND TYPING THIS FROM MY PHONE.

I HAVE A 1 HP AC MOTOR THATS 1 PHASE.  I ALSO HAVE A 1 TO 2HP VFD THAT OUTPUTS 3 PHASE 220V.

COULD I RUN THE MOTOR OFF OF ONE OF THE PHASES OF THE VFD? OR ARE 1PHASE AC MOTOR INCAPABLE OF VARIABLE FREQ DRIVE?

THANKS!
MY THUMBS HURT FTOM THE LITTLE KEYS NOW

Damn, you might go back in time if you do that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Just what exactly is all of this stuff?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just what exactly is all of this stuff?

its an AC pump and speed control
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Gas- is that a pic of the actual VFD? I ask because the front of the unit is marked for 1 HP, single phase operation yet the pic of the nomenclature clearly states the output at 3 phase. The specs you posted appear to be listing the model specs that can vary based on what model spec you order.  If I had to guess the unit in the 1st picture is set to run a 200-240 v, single phase motor. That may be able to be changed in the programming as well.  Call the maker and give them the PN and ask what you have.

Edited to add that yes, Single phase motors can be driven by a VFD.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't see how it could possibly work. Single phase motors have start windings , capaciters, centrifical clutches, they are completely wrong for variable freq. drive.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Gas- is that a pic of the actual VFD? I ask because the front of the unit is marked for 1 HP, single phase operation yet the pic of the nomenclature clearly states the output at 3 phase. The specs you posted appear to be listing the model specs that can vary based on what model spec you order.  If I had to guess the unit in the 1st picture is set to run a 200-240 v, single phase motor. That may be able to be changed in the programming as well.  Call the maker and give them the PN and ask what you have.

Edited to add that yes, Single phase motors can be driven by a VFD.

WHOA!  excellent observation.  I think its the actual pics of the unit...but it may not be.  Im seriouly confused now. I guess I'll just have to wait till I get it in the mail to see, it should be sometime this week.

Thanks for all the help folks, I'll have to post back here with my results.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't see how it could possibly work. Single phase motors have start windings , capaciters, centrifical clutches, they are completely wrong for variable freq. drive.

I wondering about that. But this whole thing got my going down the confusing direction when I read on the Danfoss VFD website that it may support both 1 and 3 phase output.  I called the company to ask some questions but they are French Canadian's and didnt understand WTF I was talking about. LOL
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I just downloaded the manual for this drive.  Looks like that unit was built in 2001.  from my 5 min scan of the manual it will output three phase only.  However, in the fault list I do not see phase loss or phase imbalance.  I still don't think it will work.

They offer this drive in several different input and output configurations that is probably why they said it could do both.  I believe ultimately you have to choose.  

I would swap motors that drive looks to be a decent unit.

It has a built in PLC and counter if you interested in utilizing that type of thing.

Not to be too nosey, but, Whatcha doin wit all dis?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just downloaded the manual for this drive.  Looks like that unit was built in 2001.  from my 5 min scan of the manual it will output three phase only.  However, in the fault list I do not see phase loss or phase imbalance.  I still don't think it will work.

They offer this drive in several different input and output configurations that is probably why they said it could do both.  I believe ultimately you have to choose.  

I would swap motors that drive looks to be a decent unit.

It has a built in PLC and counter if you interested in utilizing that type of thing.

Not to be too nosey, but, Whatcha doin wit all dis?

hey thanks!

Im making a high speed gasoline extraction unit.  Basically, I can go around to peoples cars at night and re-appropriate precious gasoline from their cars tank to mine. Make for plenty of fast free fuel.

J/K, Its actually a pump to transfer wine from barrels and tanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do you need variable speed on a mere transfer pump, and what will you be using as the speed reference signal?  What type of flowmeter will you be using?

A little better description of the intended appication would be helpful.  P&ID if you have one..
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Like KJ said, what are the details of your application.  You can feed a VFD with 1 Ph power, but you need to have a 3Ph motor on the output.  What are you trying to do?  Application info is needed to help you out.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top