Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2005 1:36:08 PM EDT
Please forgive if this is a dupe, but I'd like to collect more pics and stories of people defending their homes/property in New Orleans and elsewhere in the SE. Stuff like this:

ETA: Told this is from Andrew, not Katrina

Don Taylor uses a sword as a weapon to keep looters away, September 1, 2005. Taylor was hired to guard a pawn shop in Biloxi, Mississippi, after local residents became fearful of looters who had been seen going through destroyed buildings looking for valuables.

And stories like this:

Residents Stay to Protect Neighborhood From Looters

Monday, September 05, 2005

NEW ORLEANS  — When night falls, Charlie Hackett climbs the steps to his boarded-up window, takes down the plywood, grabs his 12-gauge shotgun and waits. He is waiting for looters and troublemakers, for anyone thinking his neighborhood has been abandoned like so many others across the city.

Two doors down, John Carolan is doing the same on his screened-in porch, pistol by his side. They are not about to give up their homes to the lawlessness that has engulfed New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"We kind of together decided we would defend what we have here and we would stay up and defend the neighborhood," says Hackett, an Army veteran with a snow-white beard and a business installing custom kitchens.

"I don't want to kill anybody," he says, "but I'd sure like to scare 'em."

With generators giving them power, food to last for weeks and several guns each for protection, the men are two of a scattered community holed up across the residential streets of the city's Garden District (search), a lush neighborhood with many antebellum mansions.

The streets, where towering live oaks once offered cool shade, are now often impassable because of huge fallen branches and downed power lines. Lovely porches framed in wrought iron lay smashed. Many of the homes appear only slightly damaged, or even untouched.

But the neighborhoods are stunningly empty, and so quiet that they sound like a forest.

It is a short drive but a world away from the city's downtown, where tens of thousands of hungry, thirsty and increasingly angry people waited in misery at the Superdome (search) and the New Orleans Convention Center (search) before evacuations finally began.

Here, Carolan starts his nightly watch by lighting a big fire in his barbecue pit. Hackett turns his lights on and jams a 15-foot wooden brace against the front door so no one can break through.

The night is "black, black, black," Hackett says. "It reminds me of when I was in Vietnam, it reminds me of Dac To."

They have not had a problem staying awake. Each night there are gunshots in the distance, sometimes people walking through, an occasional car driving by.

"Last night I had to draw down on some people," Carolan says. A car with what sounded like a crowd of drunken, partying kids came through and stopped.

"I had to come out with a flashlight in one hand, pistol in the other," he says, crossing his arms like an X. "I said: 'Who are you? Do you live here? What are you doing here?' They said, 'We're leaving.'"

Hackett, who in his 50s, lives alone, with his two cats and a bunch of neighbor's pets that he is caring for. Carolan, 46, is keeping watch with his brother, wife, son, and 3-year-old granddaughter.

In the first few days, they were especially fearful. Looters smashed windows and ransacked a discount store and a drugstore a few streets over. Three men came to Carolan's house asking about his generator and brandished a machete. He showed them his gun and they left.

"It was pandemonium for a couple of nights. We just felt that when they got done with the stores, they'd come to the homes," Hackett says. "When it's not easy pickings, they'll go somewhere else."

Things have gotten quieter, the men say, but not quiet.

"What do you say, I'm a survivor," John Carolan says with a laugh, thinking of the reality TV show. "Hey, give me the million bucks now."

How long can Carolan and the others hold out?

Hackett has enough gas and food for a month. Carolan says they have weeks' worth of food and bug repellent, and he will siphon gas from left-behind cars to keep his electricity going.

"Everything we have is in our homes. With the lawlessness in this town, are you going to walk away from everything you built?" Carolan says. "A lot of people think we're stupid. They say, 'Why did you stay?' I say, 'Why didn't you stay?'"
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
A firefighter buddy of mine (from Texas) who was not allowed in due to the violence (they kept him just out of N.O.,, told us this from his first hand conversations with the folks involved:

The heroes are firefighters like the ones from Vinton, LA that fought into a part of town somewhere around St. Charles Ave. to save an old lady that was in need of oxygen. When they got there, her house was being looted. They killed three of the sumbitches and shot another in the leg. (I hope he bled to death) Now when they hear an air-boat comming they run.

The rescue was delayed by at least two days and the people that were trying to help elsewhere were pulled out due to blacks going crazy. Real heroes are kids, (late teens/early 20’s) in air boats, from East Texas and South Louisiana that went in anyway with shotguns and deer rifles. Those are the heroes and they are still at it.

Eric  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

"Last night I had to draw down on some people," Carolan says.

Slowly but surely, our meassage is spreading......

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, the top picture was taken during Hurricane Andrew.  It was not from Katrina.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#4]

[Highlander]There can be only ONE![/Highlander]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/photogalleries/hurricane_katrina_aftermath/images/primary/katrina_flood_38.jpg

DAMMIT beat me to it
in that situation i think i would rather be shot than stuck with a rusty sword
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
That man is going to get Medieval on someone's ass!

Quoted:
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/photogalleries/hurricane_katrina_aftermath/images/primary/katrina_flood_38.jpg

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Now I know why I bought that double-headed axe 2 years ago
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
BTW, the top picture was taken during Hurricane Andrew.  It was not from Katrina.

Duly noted. Thanks.

And thanks for the story Eric_Mayer. Do you know if it was the firefighters that shot the looters or were they accompanied by police/NG?

Here's another one:

AUGUST 30, 2005—John Allen guards the A. J. Produce Co. early Tuesday morning in New Orleans. He said his boss painted the message on the door and wall.

And another:

Paul Cosma and Jennifer Schmidt stood, armed, at the entrance to Mr. Cosma's auto repair shop in New Orleans
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]
And the Anti-Gun nitwits keep spouting off at us "WHY Do You Need a Gun?"

I think the people in the pictures show everyone exactly why you need several guns.

Nice Pics...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the woman in the last pic needs to learn a little about wepaons handle and muzzle discipline!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the woman in the last pic needs to learn a little about wepaons handle and muzzle discipline!!!

true, but she's got a huge set of tits.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You go tell her that... You may be mistaken for a looter
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Too bad those who stay are going to contract diseases in a few weeks because the whole place has become a cesspool.  It is analogous to a nuclear contamination situation -- the whole area is contaminated.  It is foolish to put the value of property over the value of people's lives.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that an SBS that she is holding?  The bbl sure looks short.

Debo
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How long is the barrel on her shotgun?

ETA Irishfly beat me to it
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Debo

Gun laws don't mean shit when the "law" isn't around...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Debo

+1
ETA: not cause I care about that law, cause I wanna know If my eye betrayed me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
She's been up all night, I'm sure she would tell you to take your weapon discipline and stick it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long is the barrel on her shotgun?

ETA Irishfly beat me to it

I'm thinking 14.5 max...maybe shorter...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's another one--note the revolver in the front pocket. These are the guys from the story I pasted above:

John Carolan, center, and Charlie Hackett, right, stand in front of Hackett's house in their mostly abandoned New Orleans neighborhood, Saturday, Sept. 3, 2005. Carolan and Hackett said they would use firearms if necessary to protect themselves and their homes from looters or home invaders. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Sure looks to me like a BB welded onto a "Shade Tree Mechanic" built SBS.  If it is, I think the law of competing harms may overweight any criminality.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sure looks to me like a BB welded onto a "Shade Tree Mechanic" built SBS.  If it is, I think the law of competing harms may overweight any criminality.

Maybe its a registered SBS? Or just the angle as I suspect. It also looks like a 10 ga.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Debo

Read his T-shirt.  I'll bet she is holding his work SGN and he is using his spare(personal) SGN.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like her shotgun might be a Mossberg.  If so, the length of barrel in front of the mag tube looks long enough for it to be 18.5".  Just look at the front of the mag tube, looks like a Mossy style thumb screw there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I don't think it's any different than how a soldier will often carry an AR by the detla ring with one hand.  The muzzle seems pointed "downrange" (away from her and her friend), and her finger is off the trigger.
The thing to remember, is that when your goal is shooting people, you kinda have to ignore keeping your muzzle pointed in a safe direction if you want to hit your target.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I didn't even notice the shotgun at first
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#30]

"Loot and Be Shot"

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

......True she is good to look at!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Jeez, give the girl a break, she's under extreme duress.
I've worked with many fellow LEO's that carry and inadvertantly point their shotguns like this all the time. her finger isn't on the trigger so shutthefuggup.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I find it odd that the news media is painting gun owners in a good light defending against thugs/rapists, but the only ones they are showing are people with "hunting" and wheel guns.   I have yet to see a sympathetic story about home/business owners with anyone packing an auto loading handgun or an AR SKS or AK style gun.   FFS, not a single Glock?  Not that I am endorsing Glocks or any handgun, but they are quite popular. Not even a 1911 .  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I was that guy, I would be boning her like there was no tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Vincent LeBlanc carries a shotgun as he surveys damage to his neighborhood in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in Metairie, outside New Orleans September 5, 2005. Thousands of residents of suburban New Orleans returned on Monday to inspect homes wrecked by Hurricane Katrina and President George W. Bush went back to the disaster zone to quell a political crisis over bungled aid efforts. (Lee Celano/Reuters)

Kindof looks like he might be one of us.

EDIT: Same guy.

Vincent LeBlanc (L) and his father Lenn prepare to clear debris from their house in Metairie, outside New Orleans September 5, 2005. Thousands of residents of suburban New Orleans returned on Monday to inspect homes wrecked by Hurricane Katrina and President George W. Bush went back to the disaster zone to quell a political crisis over bungled aid efforts. REUTERS/Lee Celano

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Mike Mire pulls a boat carrying belongings, including a pistol for protection, past neighbors in Metairie, outside New Orleans September 5, 2005. Thousands of residents of suburban New Orleans returned on Monday to inspect homes wrecked by Hurricane Katrina and President George W. Bush went back to the disaster zone to quell a political crisis over bungled aid efforts. REUTERS/Lee Celano

Beretta/Taurus on boats front seat.  Smart man having those waders.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#37]

New Orleans resident Rob Liebkemann, front, carries a shotgun as he travels to Liebkemann father's home in the flooded city to recover valuables Aug. 31.  At rear is Scott Slatten.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#38]
It's great seeing the 2nd Amendment at work.      
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#39]
i cant find the words.....but i'm glad some people still have the balls to protect their own property by whatever means possible.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:06:51 AM EDT
[#40]
That shotgun the woman has is a Maverick 88 with an 16 inch barrel.  The magazine tube is two shells longer than on a standard 870 or 1300 so it makes the barrel look shorter in contrast at that angle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:21:07 AM EDT
[#41]

If she runs outta ammo.............all she has to do is pull up shirt and flash them big ol' boobies.

It would sure as hell stop me in my tracks.    Then her boyfriend could finish them while the slobber runs down their chin.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Great thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Looks like when the shit hits the fan............shotguns rule
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:24:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, the things they get away with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Awesome...Just Awesome!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:38:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Looks like when the shit hits the fan............shotguns rule

Sure does look that way, the shotgun invokes a certain fear that you will likely be hit, and it won't be just a flesh wound.
Thugs tend to keep out of thier range, and for good reason, they would get thier face or chest blown off.

Sucking chest wound anyone?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:45:13 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

With generators giving them power, food to last for weeks and several guns each for protection, ....

[liberal]Paranoid survivalist militia-type nutjobs.[/liberal]

The couple in that picture obviously need to work on their manual of arms.

So, to all you clueless liberal lurkers: Still think the RKBA is about SPORTING purposes?

ETA: +1 on the mamary siting!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:46:24 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DAMN! I have missed ARFCom!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Last night I on our local news channel (KCAL 9) I saw a guy on an airboat with an Evil Black Rifle .  Might be one of our fellow ARFcommers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top