Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 12:06:40 PM EDT
I get all the stuff to change the oil on my truck today after being lazy about it and taking it to Jiffy Lube for the last year so. Anyway, I get under the truck and as soon as I break the drain plug free, it falls out. It had about two complete threads on it, those sorry bastards stripped it and never bothered to let me know and I was too trusting to check their work.

I bought a thread restorer to chase the threads on the hole and put a replacement plug in and I think it's good to go for now but I don't know how well the threads will hold up over time with muiltiple oil changes. I wish somebody made a valve to put on there so I don't stress the threads anymore.

Those sorry bastards!

End of rant.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, about 10yrs ago a friend had the oil changed in her Honda.  We go to the beach.  Another friend drives it to the store and the oil light comes on.  So he adds a qt. and checks it.  It still needs more, and more and more.  Jiffy Lube didn't tighten the bolt and it fell out.  Brilliant!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a Fran Sure drain, you can get one at Pepboys for about $10.00.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#3]
When my wife and I were dating, she asked me to take her car in for an oil change, refusing my offer to do it because the local place checked everything.  After getting the car back and going over what they "checked", I noticed the battery cable terminals had crap built up in the same dimensions as the boot covering the terminal, wiper fluid wasn't filled and a list of other stuff they were supposed to check.  

Unless I just don't have time, I'll do it myself.  At least I know the job will be done right and if it's fucked up I'll know who to blame also.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
FRAM does make a drain valve that replaces the drain plug.

www.fram.com/index.html

Click on products and then select accessories and scroll down to the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was a senior in highschool... or shortly thereafter... I had a Saab 900 that was bout 10 years old.  Took it to an oil change place to have the business done.  The bigass grease monkey guy comes out and says he can't get the plug off, and the bolt head is stripped.  Being 17, I didn't know what to do, so I ask, and they guy says I'll have to get it drilled.   So I say WTF, and F that.

I went home, got under the car, got some vice grips on the 'lip' of the drain plug, used a three foot lead pipe as a breaker bar, and got that sucker loose.  Then I just snugged it a little bit.  Went to the parts store, scored a new plug, went back to the oil change place, and handed the same grease monkey the new plug and told him to get at it.  _I_ got the damn old plug off MYSELF.   (I was a scrawny skinny bastard back then!)  The look on his face was well worth it!

Now my daily driver has a valve job on it.  Screw off the cap, screw on the valve/hose thingie, and it pours out.  Voila!  I love it!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
You can just replace the drain plug. If the threads on your oil pan are damaged, you can put in an overside piggyback plug. The only downside to this is it takes two wrenches, and the oil drains a little slower.

IMO the worst place to go for an oil change are the quick lube type shops. Especially Jiffy Lube. Places like these that supposedly "check everything" are a joke. They try to get your car done as fast as possible, by doing this they will skip many important things, and cut various corners. Not to mention the mininum wage, unskilled, non-certified, and improperly trained employees who don't give a shit about your car.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#7]
That Fram plug is nice.  I have to remember to put one on the wife's new car when she's due for an oil change.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
why do you guys go to those places I'll never know.........I doubt that they are even putting the correct grade of  oil in your vehicles,  which is worse then not even changing the oil
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Those bastards did the same thing to my car years ago!
I think they put some white marking glue on them after they tighten them now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When I was a senior in highschool... or shortly thereafter... I had a Saab 900 that was bout 10 years old.  Took it to an oil change place to have the business done.  The bigass grease monkey guy comes out and says he can't get the plug off, and the bolt head is stripped.  Being 17, I didn't know what to do, so I ask, and they guy says I'll have to get it drilled.   So I say WTF, and F that.

I went home, got under the car, got some vice grips on the 'lip' of the drain plug, used a three foot lead pipe as a breaker bar, and got that sucker loose.  Then I just snugged it a little bit.  Went to the parts store, scored a new plug, went back to the oil change place, and handed the same grease monkey the new plug and told him to get at it.  _I_ got the damn old plug off MYSELF.   (I was a scrawny skinny bastard back then!)  The look on his face was well worth it!

Now my daily driver has a valve job on it.  Screw off the cap, screw on the valve/hose thingie, and it pours out.  Voila!  I love it!  

You're luckky they didn't do more damage to your Saab.  Back when I was working at Saab dealers, from time to time we would have cars towed in with the differentials locked up.  The first thing we would do is open the hood.  Most of the time we would see a new oil filter.  Then we would check the engine oil dipstick and we would find the oil was way over filled.

The oil change places would remove the differential drain plug because it was the larget plug and the most visible.  They drained the differential, and then added 4.5 quarts to the engine.  The differential bearings would overheat and lock up.

On the old Saab 900s, the engine sat on top of the transmission.  The top of the transmission case was actually the oil pan for the engine.  So the engine, transmission and differential drain plugs were all locted in the engine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been to Prompto twice and had no issues.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I trust Jiffy Lube as far as I can throw them I had my radiator flushed & filled. Drove the truck about 10 miles back to work. Heard a ticking noise. Got out checked the oil....NONE The moron under the truck at JL must have thought it was in for an oil change, drained the oil & no one on the top side refilled it. Haven't been back since.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I change the oil on my 85 Toyota Truck myself, been doing for 20 years!

My newer 2003 Tacoma I have the dealer do it since it's still under warranty but I buy my own oil and have them do it.  Regular oil change is $19.95, then they deduct the price of the oil so they only charge $12.95 or so.  I'll continue to do that with the 2003 after warrany expires cause I trust them more than any Jiffy Lube.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#14]
or try this:  www.pelaproducts.com/  -- and never take the plug out again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I made the mistake of taking my car to walmart for a change, as I was in the city and had no place to do it myself.  I provided them with 5 quarts of Shaeffer's full synthetic, that I've used in my truck since it was new.  As I sat in the waiting area, i happen to look out and see them pouring oil form a BARREL into my truck.  Turns out, they used Quaker State 10W-30, when I told them - and provided - Shaeffer's 5W-30.  I got my money back and a "free oil change".  I ripped it up and handed that back to him!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Those retards also like to 5 quarts in every vehicle too.
If yours takes 4 and they put in 5, the crankshaft counter weigths will splash the higher level
of oil in the pan causing frothing. If there is foam on the oil stream the journals could get a dry spot.
Never go to those places.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I would also suggest watching them write today's date with a permanent marker on the oil filter... and the next time, insist on seeing the filter they just removed, with the last date on it, and have them mark the new one.

Just to be sure that they are actually changing the filter... some places 'forget' to do that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to hear it.

I took my car to Pep Boys a couple years back for break work and an oil change.

They slapped on a set of pads and said they couldn't turn the rotors. Those had to be replaced. The car had under 70K on it at the time, with lots of highway miles. BS!
Second, they did not change the oil.....but they sure as hell charged me for it.  
The reason I knew is that I checked the filter before and after the 'change'.
I raised hell with them and got calls from the home office etc etc. Bottom line, I do all my own work if at all possible. I have the tools and the capability!

You should raise hell with Jiffy lube headquarters. Maybe they'll give you some coupons for freebies you can sell  on ebay or to a distant friend.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I put one of these on my truck.  From the many people I've spoken to, it the best out there by far.  

Made with brass and stainless steel, they say there are over 2 million in use without a failure.

Fumoto Drain Valve
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Why do you people NOT change your own oil?  Do you pay someone else to clean your guns?

I'm disappointed in the MEN of Arfcom.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Why do you people NOT change your own oil?  

I don't know about anyone else but I have a new truck, if something goes wrong and according to my warranty, if I haven't been doing the scheduled maintenance on it, it could void the warranty........I know I can do it my self and save all the little receipts. but I'd rather much pay the 30 bucks the dealer charges for a oil change, and they have a record of the services on their computer, and I don't have to worry about them oilfilling the thing or putting in the wrong oil, or geting dirty....and if they do screw it up, they bought me a new engine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Not to be confrontational, but I also have a new truck (received 2/05) and I change my own oil.  If a warranty issue occurs, it'll be obvious that routine maintenance was done.

I just don't trust people to care as much as I do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I do my own oil and brakes........
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#24]
A friend had her car serviced at Jiffy Lube and when I got to check it out, the center of her air filter didn't match the housing. Either it was defective or wrong spec. What Jiffy Lube did was break out the center of the filter so it would go in the housing but also let unfiltered air into the engine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why do you people NOT change your own oil?  Do you pay someone else to clean your guns?

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quick edit there Monk, before anyone could quote you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I will be taking mine to the Ford dealership till the warrenty runs out on my 2005 Mustang, dont want to have to argue about any work that might have to be done, only missed on oil change by them while I was in another state visiting and changed it myself.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Avoid Fram like the plague. On everything. Their oil filters are particularily bad, but I avoid the rest of their junk as well. You'll do faar better with a Fumoto valve; I'll never own another car without installing one.

Another story: My friend took his old Saturn into his local jiffy. They screwed up the oil filter installation, and it seized on the highway. They won't pay even the thousand-so Bluebook dollars it's worth, not counting the intrinsically higher value of a functional, reliable vehicle. He's taking them to court now. I hope only that I can convince him to do his own oil changes now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#30]
The last time I took my truck to Jiffy Lube....I started it up and thought the engine was going to jump out from under the hood....my truck felt like hydraulics were installed as it was jumping all over the place.  

I asked the "techs" to look at it...and after "rechecking" they could not find anything wrong....When I looked at it, I immediately saw that they unplugged 3 hoses....Not sure why they were removed in the first place.....or why the "techs" didn't notice that they were unplugged....

Needless to say I don't go to Jiffy Lube anymore....I take it to the stealer  jk.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I do my own oil and brakes........

Always do my own oil and just did my first set of brakes about 3 months ago. It was very easy. (2001 GMC Sierra Z-71)
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1

This belongs in the womens forum
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Those retards also like to 5 quarts in every vehicle too.
If yours takes 4 and they put in 5, the crankshaft counter weigths will splash the higher level
of oil in the pan causing frothing. If there is foam on the oil stream the journals could get a dry spot.
Never go to those places.

Ex-Jiffy Lube?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#34]
It's not really that much more cost effective to change your own oil, plus you have to deal with properly disposing of it.  If I didn't have a friend who runs an auto repair shop and who allows me to use his hydraulic lift and who also disposes of my old oil, I'm not sure if I'd deal with the hassle either.  Otherwise, ya gotta jack up car, stand it on some sturdy lifts that you can bet your life on, and then crawl underneath.  Been there, done that, and honestly it ain't worth the time.  

Sometimes it's just easier to pay someone for a 30 min job.    

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I had a girlfriend take a car to Walmarts for oil service.  They did a classic el cheapo job.  They accidently drained the transmission fluid.  They discovered thier error and drained the oil and refilled it.  Then they sent her down the road w/o tranny fluid.  

She had to argue with them for a a crappy rebuilt tranny.  I told her not to settle for that but to have them pay for the dealer to install a brand new factory one.  To hell w/ used crap from their boneheaded mistake.

I pay to get my oil change only in the winter as I have to work outside.  I watch them like a hawk while they work and check the oil and check for leaks at the filter before I even leave thier parking lot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top