Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:12:27 AM EDT
www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/04/katrina.sick.shelter.ap/index.html

BILOXI, Mississippi (AP) -- -- Officials closed a shelter Saturday because more than 20 people there fell ill, and doctors believe the patients may have contracted dysentery from tainted water.

Another 20 people in the area also were treated for vomiting and diarrhea.

The shelter at a Biloxi school had been without water and power since Katrina hit Monday. About 400 people had been staying there, and doctors said some may have ignored warnings to stay away from water.

Some running water came back on late Friday, but it was not safe to drink or even to use to brush teeth or wash, said Dr. Jason Dees, a volunteer working at Biloxi Regional Medical Center.

Most of the patients were treated with antibiotics. About 30 ill residents were taken to a hospital in Mobile, Alabama, while the rest were bused to a shelter in Thomasville, Georgia.

Biloxi police Cpl. Kayla Robert said she had no idea what caused the illnesses.

"Who knows what they swallowed before they got here," she said. "Half of them were swimming in stuff that we don't even know what it was."

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
What are the symptoms and how long does it take to kill?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#3]
No surprise here really, this was expected with no sanitary facilities.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#4]
You basically diarrhea yourself to death.  Not pretty.  It takes 2-3 days to die from it, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You basically diarrhea yourself to death.  Not pretty.  It takes 2-3 days to die from it, IIRC.

That's a visual I didn't need, shitty way to die...

Digital
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]

shitty way to die

I know I know not supposed to be funny
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

shitty way to die

I know I know not supposed to be funny

No, it was

Digital
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

basically stomach cramps and frequent diarrhea...  I've had it a few times, it's not that bad as long as you keep yourself hydrated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

basically stomach cramps and frequent diarrhea...  I've had it a few times, it's not that bad as long as you keep yourself hydrated.

See his avatar for visual signs of dysentery.

Digital
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#11]
damn, is that Keith Richards?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's Keith Richards with dysentery

Digital
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

yes

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that bad huh?  Until you pass out from dehydration and weakness in 95 degree heat,   then you die.  
The problem is you can't stay hydrated....you shit it out as soon as you drink it fluid in plus fluids are drawn from the rest of your tissue to flood the digestive tract to expel the pollution.
It's microbial infection of the digestive system that can spread to your entire body. Hydration without antibiotics is difficult and pretty much useless. You need medical care.

It can kill you in 48 hours if bad enough, maybe less if your already weakened and dehydrated and stressed.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's a terrible way to die. You've got an infection so your digestive system tries to clean itself out as fast as possible. But in it's haste it doesn't have enough time to extract water from food/drink. So you dehydrate: headaches, kidney failure, immune system collapse, neural problems. It's like dying in the desert but with dirty water all around you. With sufficient willpower, health, antibiotics and an IV, you can survive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

www.susannassoapbox.com/keith2.jpg

he appears to be in distress, as if trying to pass something, perhaps a kidneystone, perhaps a pumpkin...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top