User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2005 8:25:50 AM EDT
18 year old drives bus full of NO refugees to Astrodome

Taking refuge in the Astrodome
Thursday, September 01, 2005   Updated: 11:32 AM

HOUSTON -- NEWSCHANNEL 5 crews were in Houston as some desperate refugees arrived in a stolen bus.

HOUSTON -- Thousands of refugees of Hurricane Katrina were transported to the Astrodome in Houston this week. In an extreme act of looting, one group actually stole a bus to escape ravaged areas in Louisiana.

About 100 people packed into the stolen bus. They were the first to enter the Houston Astrodome, but they weren't exactly welcomed.

The big yellow school bus wasn't expected or approved to pass through the stadium's gates. Randy Nathan, who was on the bus, said they were desperate to get out of town.

"If it werent for him right there," he said, "we'd still be in New Orleans underwater. He got the bus for us."

Eighteen-year-old Jabbor Gibson jumped aboard the bus as it sat abandoned on a street in New Orleans and took control.

"I just took the bus and drove all the way here...seven hours straight,' Gibson admitted. "I hadn't ever drove a bus."

The teen packed it full of complete strangers and drove to Houston. He beat thousands of evacuees slated to arrive there.

"I t's better than being in New Orleans," said fellow passenger Albert McClaud, "we want to be somewhere where we're safe."

During a long and impatient delay, children popped their heads out of bus windows and mothers clutched their babies.

One 8-day-old infant spent the first days of his life surrounded by chaos. He's one of the many who are homeless and hungry.

Authorities eventually allowed the renegade passengers inside the dome. But the 18-year-old who ensured their safety could find himself in a world of trouble for stealing the school bus.

"I dont care if I get blamed for it ," Gibson said, "as long as I saved my people."

Sixty legally chartered buses were expected to arrive in Houston throughout the night. Thousands of people will be calling the Astrodome "home," at least for now.

POLL COMING !
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd have done the same thing.  You HAVE to save people, and he was using his head.

Give him a medal.

HH
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds to me that he deserves a medal.  his actions are better than those sitting around in filthy water saying "where's my government bus?"
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The .gov will squash him. Citizens short-circuiting bureaucracy and getting results cannot be allowed. It's better to dither around and wait for the clusterfuck to show up with paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
give the man a fucking medal and be ashamed to even consider calling him anything less than a hero!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
It would be nice if someone could set up a full scholarship for him to the school of his choice, with the usual provisions that he has to get good grades.  he'd have to work for whatever he got degree wise but he wouldn't have to worry about financing it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]

"I dont care if I get blamed for it ," Gibson said, "as long as I saved my people."

My hat is off to the guy for doing the right thing.  Yet at the same time, look to the SOURCE of where this black/white issue is.  It's imbedded within the people themselves, yet non-blacks are blamed for being racist.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
That kid should look into being a military officer, he fucking took charge
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#8]

In a crisis, the best thing you can do is the right thing.

The next best thing you can do is the wrong thing.

The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I really dont care
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The .gov will squash him. Citizens short-circuiting bureaucracy and getting results cannot be allowed. It's better to dither around and wait for the clusterfuck to show up with paperwork.

No shit.  Seems the .gov (in a generalized way) believes that if you prove them wrong, the sun won't rise the next day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#11]
He did what every fucking one of them should have done.
He made a decision that helped himself and others instead of waiting for someone to come and hold his hand.

He is what is right with America, not what is wrong.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#12]
No crime was commited. He took the unused bus that would still be under water.

There was no criminal intent to deprive anyone. It was used for rescue. See "Force Majeure "

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Force majeure (French for "greater force") is a common clause in contracts which essentially frees one or both parties from liabilities when an extraordinary event beyond the control of the parties, such as flood, war, riots, acts of God, et cetera prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.

Under international law it refers to an irresistible force or unforeseen event, beyond the control of a State making it materially impossible to fulfill an international obligation. Force majeure precludes an international act from being wrongful, where it otherwise would have been.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank him for helping folks that needed help, tell him that stealing a bus was wrong, and let him go. With that kind of take charge attitude he will be ok. Probably be successful some day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In a crisis, the best thing you can do is the right thing.

The next best thing you can do is the wrong thing.

The worst thing you can do is nothing.

Yup!  "As we used to say....don't just stand there, DO SOMETHING, the right thing, the wrong thing...who cares?  Just don't stand there!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Medal Hell! Jabbor Gibson for mayor! He understood the problem and acted on it. This FINE YOUNG AMERICAN acted in a manor that would have made Mayor Guliani proud.

I am so proud of this young man. NOLA has heroes like Jabbor Gibson and villians like the Mayor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#16]
If looting for food is not "illegal" then how can taking a bus from a diaster area to a designated relief area be illegal?  His intent was clear.  He was not down in the quarter showing off his new ride.  My prediction:  This young man will be deemed a hero and he'll get to meet President Bush.

R.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Smart kid.  There might yet be hope for the future.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Did the right thing.

What do you suppose the fate of that bus would
be, if had been left there.

Junk

He saved people and the bus.

GM
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Finally, someone from the projects who can think for himself amidst a crisis.  (Unlike the Mayor.)

If someone will give him a chance, (like not prosecuting him), he just might make a productive member of society.

By the way, Houston is in Texas, not Louisana, so if they want him, they will have to extradite him and all the passengers as witnesses.  

Not damn likely.  

You go boy !
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#20]
The kid showed more common sense that the mayor did!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Hero, PERIOD!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
it would be one thing if he just took himself, but he picked up all those other people.  

+100

He did the right thing in my book.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
it would be one thing if he just took himself, but he picked up all those other people.  

+1
He wasn't stealing a bus for a joyride or to take to the chopshop.   He "borrowed" it under duress to GTFO of the disaster area, saving a bunch of folks in the process.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Whoop!  There it is.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone who thinks about prosecuting that kid should be arrested.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#27]
If he was really smart, he'd said that "someone of authority told me to do it, I was jus obeying the man."
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

For what?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#29]
The kid did more to save lives than many in the NO elected leadership did.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#30]
That's like arresting the man who broke down a door to a house that was on fire and saved people.

Give the man some credit
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#31]
What would it take to organize a scholarship fund for this kid?

I am sure as hell he could use it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#32]
tag
I voted Medal.... He seems to have more balls and brains then many of those in charge of this situation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#33]
It's so obvious that he did the right thing that he'll probably be prosecuted.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Undocumented FEMA relief agent?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Just think, with 255 busses sitting empty that could have been used in that lot, if there were only 255 more like him a little earlier, nearly 14K people could have been saved. Kid doesn't deserve to get arrested.

BTW, a stolen vehicle crossing state lines makes it a federal charge still, I think.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Hero. Pin a medal on his chest. If more 18yo men had gumption like this guy the world would be a better place. If he is to be prosecuted anything more then a slap on the wrist is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#38]
It will be a fuckin' shame if ANYone does file charges against this man for doing what 1,000's of others were completely unable to even conceive the notion of helping themselves get out.  

Instead they helped themsleves to free tvs, vcrs, & jewelry...

LB
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Just think, with 255 busses sitting empty that could have been used in that lot, if there were only 255 more like him a little earlier, nearly 14K people could have been saved. Kid doesn't deserve to get arrested.

BTW, a stolen vehicle crossing state lines makes it a federal charge still, I think.

There is probably not an AUSA with enough balls to federally prosecute that kid !   Besides, there is no criminal intent, he drove it to a relief center teaming with cops !   No intent to steal and keep for himself.      
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#40]
He'd make a damn fine MARINE good inititive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what?

Criminal negligence.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

+1. With that kind of character, he has a great future if he gets some guidance, and we need people like that. As for the "my people" thing, unless somebody has proof that he kicked people who don't look him off the bus, I'm going to assume he meant "my neighbors."
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#43]
He has shown more leadership than any of the local authorities.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I understand that FEMA was doing the samething, confiscating buses meant for other purposes. I think like most liberals declaring martial law was going to solve all of their problems. This young man assumed the responsibiities of the mayor and governor of LA. He should be punished, he saw a problem and solved, it rather than wait for an order to do it. The orders never came from the mayor or the state, until Geo Bush came on the scene.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#45]
They should make the kid the mayor of NO...!

It would fitting if someone in Tx offers the kid a job.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#46]
WTG Kid! You saved those people from misery, suffering, and possibly sickness and death.
Good American Initiative!
Give him a medal and anyone who doesn't understand why he deserves it needs a whack on the head.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit.  Seems the .gov (in a generalized way) believes that if you prove them wrong, the sun won't rise the next day.

He's my newest hero, but I will not be one bit surprised if he gets in trouble for this.  The bureaucratic mind values order and control over ingenuity and the guts to "make shit happen."
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#50]
The bus was abandoned....the kid did good

I hope his efforts will be recognised. There's a 100 people already grateful for his actions.

Taffy
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top