Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 2:20:17 PM EDT
I am 18 miles east of Gulf, and elevation is about 16'.  Would that storm surge have flooded my home? 1-inch or 1 foot?

Maybe a better question would be - how far inland were the people who just missed the surge damage?

Anyone know where to look for details like this?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
At least in Mississippi, I believe I heard them say the surge went 1/2 miles inland, on average.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If you dont have any higher land in between the water can probably get that far inland.

Remember that the waves are added on top of the surge, so if you have a 20 foot surge, then the water is 20 feet above normal level, you add some 50 feet high waves on top of that and you add another 25 feet to max water height.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
At least in Mississippi, I believe I heard them say the surge went 1/2 miles inland, on average.

I thought I heard Brett Favre say his families home was 4 miles from the coast and the water was 8 ft deep there.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a lot of variation due to terrain - They were showing some satellite photos showing an average of 1/2 mile at the spot they were showing.  Everything was gone up to the point where the surge ended - you could see a very visible line on the map.  Beyond it, the damage was primarily wind damage.  Other areas, the ocean surged in a lot farther, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]
There is just the gradual increase in height from the Gulf's beach to our inland property.  We are in one of the highest areas, which does not say much.

5 miles east of us is the Everglades.

It would appear that we are in the "maybe" zone.

Maybe we would be under water, maybe not.

Maybe we "rednecks" can claim the government hates us after the big one hits us.

Maybe Jeff Foxworthy will lead a convoy of lifted 4X4 trucks to our rescue, to git-r-done.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]

LET NOT YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED!

I WILL SPARE YOU THIS ONE TIME ONLY!

FOR I AM STORMSURGE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top