Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:59:10 AM EDT
My comp died today and I think I know why.

Here in Iraq, my camp runs off of two 800kw generators. Sometimes these generators break down and we lose power.

That is what I thought happened when the powe went out. Today after the power had gone out for the 9th time in one day, I ran out to the gen to see what was wrong. I saw the gen running at half speed and only putting our 90v vs the 220v it should be putting out.

This risidual voltage is what I suspect killed my PS.

Besides a new PS, UPS, and surge protector, is there anything out there which will trip a breaker or something of the like if there is over or UNDER voltage?

No need for me to buy another PS. I still have 8 month here in Iraq

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Had a buddy of mine lose a lap top to the same thing. Under voltage was what killed it. Don't know if they make a low voltage regulator or not??
Sorry about the PS.  guess its back to cards
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
There are circuits / monitors for power generation sets than insure a minimum voltage output. This one www.macromatic.com/products/voltage-monitor-relay.html will shut the circuit off rather than let it run at an under-voltage condition.

There are other ones out there - this is just from a quick Google. The harder task will be convincing your power guy (Generator king) that he really needs to install one.

I suppose you could rig it yourself into "your" outlet for your computer - if nothing else, your PC would be protected. Include a UPS and you can save whatcha got.

Good luck, and thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]

you need a power conditioning UPS.

Sometimes they're called online UPS's.  Make sure they'll charge the batteries even with an undervoltage.  They aren't that common any longer, so you might have to look hard to find one. z
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

you need a power conditioning UPS.

Sometimes they're called online UPS's.  Make sure they'll charge the batteries even with an undervoltage.  They aren't that common any longer, so you might have to look hard to find one. z

Powerware series 9 is a good one to go with.  We use those here at work and they work spectacular.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#6]
APC makes a pretty good UPS, it will switch in low voltage or high voltage situations.  If you're running on half speed with a normal 220VAC output, 90VAC sounds fairly normal.  Is there an idle setting on the gen?  

BTW residual voltage is what's there when you turn the gen off in the form of residual magetism.  That's what allows it to start building voltage when you crank it.  From what it sounds like, your gen is either kicking off on over current or the governor is bad.  Is it an electrical or mechanical governor.  Who makes it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I need one that will work with 220v because that is hat we have here and that is what I have in Germany.

That site you linked only showed stuff that work with 110v.

I will look on google if I get a chance
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
APC makes a pretty good UPS, it will switch in low voltage or high voltage situations.  If you're running on half speed with a normal 220VAC output, 90VAC sounds fairly normal.  Is there an idle setting on the gen?  

BTW residual voltage is what's there when you turn the gen off in the form of residual magetism.  That's what allows it to start building voltage when you crank it.  From what it sounds like, your gen is either kicking off on over current or the governor is bad.  Is it an electrical or mechanical governor.  Who makes it?

I run an APC UPS and it has been a good one so far. I ordered one as a part of my package from Dell for around $80. They are a bit pricey but worth the $$$ IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure you can get an APC in 220V, but I've never seen one personally.  Everything we have is 120VAC.  It's about the only one I've found that will do good with an isolated ground.  I've seen other brands smoke if we had a phase go to ground, the APC just gives us an alarm.
Top Top