Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 6:20:38 PM EDT
I want to start golfing but I have never done it.  I was thinking before I go to go buy a driver and a putter only and go to driving range and mini golf course.

Is this the best move? I figured I would do this for a few months and get the basic skills down then go for a full course.  Would you suggest getting something other than a driver to use on the driving range?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have never done it, go to the driving range and pay the pro for lessons.

It will eliminate bad habits from the getgo.

Good luck......you will get addicted,
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you have never done it, go to the driving range and pay the pro for lessons.

It will eliminate bad habits from the getgo.

Good luck......you will get addicted,

I assume I will get addicted but I don't plan to get to serious. Just a casual weekend player. My friends have been pressuring me for years.

Do you really think I need lessons right off the bat?  How long to take them for?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If I could start over I would immediately get as many lessons that I could afford.

You will have much more fun when you can move the ball with each stroke.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck golf. Go shooting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't start with a driver.  Start with a mid iron (4,5,6,7,8,or 9) and maybe a 5 wood.  Much easier to hit.  

+1 to lessons if your finances allow.  

Most golf courses have a putting green near the driving range that is free.  Real Grass.  Much better practice than mini-golf.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you really think I need lessons right off the bat?  How long to take them for?

Yes, if you take them later you will almost certainly face an uphill battle to overcome bad habits.

Get the right way first, then work from there.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Being and ex-golf professional for six years, I advise you to start off by taking a series of lessons from a reputable professional at one of your close area country clubs or muni courses. Do your research on the professional and see how long he has taught, if he is a member of the PGA and has done his training and what he charges.  Then the fun begins.  Fundementals first. Those are the building blocks to a great swing.  Grip, stance, posture!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't start with a driver.  Start with a mid iron (4,5,6,7,8,or 9) and maybe a 5 wood.  Much easier to hit.  

+1 to lessons if your finances allow.  

Most golf courses have a putting green near the driving range that is free.  Real Grass.  Much better practice than mini-golf.

Yea definitly start with irons much easier. I would try to find a friend or family member that plays and try to have them teach you the proper grip and swing. Thats how I learned. If that doesnt work then go for a few lessons.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Fuck golf. Go shooting.

+1

A golf course is a waste of a good rifle range.

j/k all you golfers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top