Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I know Tn. is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Oklahoma is.  Don't know how many.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been wondering since last night why Kali isn't stepping up to the plate?  Barbara Streisand, Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin, Rep. Koran(?),  where are you when we need you?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
TX has a few hundred thou
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
TX has a few hundred thou

The illegals are going to be bitching about equal rights among refugees.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
3 states so far.  Any more we know of?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ETA:

So far it's

OK
TN
TX

Heard Michigan may take up to 10k, that was on FOX news, somone in the Houston city gov said that...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Who wants to bet the crime rate will go up in areas that are housing refugees.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Los Angeles has asked for 3000.

Pussies.  I live in a town of 55,000 and we have more than that.  

ETA Jonesboro, AR.  There are about 9 MRE's left here in the entire town. No bottled water ( I have 7 cases and don't feel good about it) No packs, no LBE's, Only 3 gas stations with gas,  Even though prices have come down to between 2.97 and 2.92.  They'd topped 3.79.  I was at the gun shop today watching my gun guy make money hand over fist.  People who'd never held a gun were buying them.  Scary.  Most of us are pretty nervous.  And UofA is giving them all free tuition if they stay here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#12]
If they are smart they won't be just dumped in one place. Spread them out over a whole state and they will be accepted much better.

I just hope Mi doesn't put them Detroit. No I don't live in Detroit either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Our littel community is going to get around 1000 of the displaced looters.  I am not a happy camper.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#14]
You know I just don't get it. If it was my property I would not just walk away. even If I had to camp in a tent and cook on my camp stove for a year I would stay and rebuild. These people are willing to be led around like sheep. Then again, I would never be foolish enough to live below sea level.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#15]
The hotels all around Six Flags and west Atlanta are booked full with survivors.

Our basketball arena at Georgia Tech is housing ~400 Tulane students right now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
They had on the news that we're getting getting graced with some of LA's housing authority residents.

But on the good us side the University's med center is already recieving patients from NO as well as med students from two colleges down there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Texas is taking 250 thousand.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Who wants to bet the crime rate will go up in areas that are housing refugees.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Any idea where in OK they are sending them?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#20]
MD has issued orders to the schools to loosen requirements for refugees.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I hear some major cities in TX are taking some in, mainly Houston, obviously, but also Dallas and San Antonio.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The hotels all around Six Flags and west Atlanta are booked full with survivors.

Our basketball arena at Georgia Tech is housing ~400 Tulane students right now.

Thank God I live on the NE side of da ATL.....

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Maybe Babs and Susan can put a few up for a couple of weeks at the house?  Do they have a pool?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm FF/EMS in Big Spring, TX, city manager said today that we are accepting 100 families and thaqt the local VAMC has opened 200 beds and we will be recieving pts begining tomorrow.  Looks like this liitle place is fixin' to get busy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:17:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Bump for day crew.

9 or 10 states so far.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:49:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Our littel community is going to get around 1000 of the displaced looters.  I am not a happy camper.

You are fucked
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#27]
How many is Liberia taking?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Sorry, Illinois has enough useless people.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sorry, Illinois has enough useless people.

Just a few more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Chock full of undocumented workers as it is.

Maybe if we team up the undocumented workers with the displaced citizens they will cancel each other out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#32]
PA is taking some. The retirement home 20 miles from me is taking in some of the elderly refugees.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Have I missed any states?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I heard we are taking 1000 so far.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I heard we are taking 1000 so far.

yup!

IB posted this on the AZshootigforum.  Thing is this is the same fair gorounds that has the "BIG" gun shows.

"Arizona to house hurricane victims

Pat Kossan
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 3, 2005 03:45 PM

Many Arizonans set aside their Labor Day weekend plans to help prepare for up to 2,500 men, women, children, some carrying dogs and cats, expected to begin arriving in Phoenix early Sunday by bus and by plane from the destroyed and desolate coasts of Mississippi and Louisiana.

Most will be coming from New Orleans and federal officials estimate the number of evacuees from 500 to 2,500, who would arrive over the next few weeks, said Jeanine L'Ecuyer, spokeswoman for Gov. Janet Napolitano. The governor cut short her vacation in New York and was flying back to the state today.

Arizona's government, school and aid agencies worked today to chart out a secure and organized arrival for the stricken families. Their goal is to provide the respect, privacy and comfort missing in their lives since Hurricane Katrina slammed into their homes and cities Monday, said Cam Hunter, state Department of Homeland Security spokeswoman.

"We have agreed our mission is sensitivity because these are individuals who have already been through a tremendous disaster and have faced so much lose already," Hunter said. "We know they are tired and hungry and many have medical needs. We cannot imagine what these people have been through."

The Veterans Memorial Coliseum, 1826 W. McDowell Road, was being swept out and set up this afternoon to be the point of entry for the arriving families, with help from female inmates from Department of Corrections, Perryville State Prison. Many details were still being hammered out, from the number of extra showers needed and play spaces for children. Phoenix city officials were in neighborhoods surrounding the Coliseum today talking to residents and businesses about the new arrivals. The Grand Canyon Chapter of the Red Cross with help from the Salvation Army will be providing basic shelter and care.

Here is what is planned:

• The city will bus those arriving from the airport and each person will be issued identification cards, receive food, clothing, showers, a cot and medical attention, including psychological help and daily medications they may need.

• Families are expected to remain at the Coliseum until state agencies can find more permanent shelter and, even, homes for those who decided to stay and start over in Arizona. Arizona State University and Tucson offered to help take in families. Arizona's Department of Economic Security will also be on hand signing up people for food stamps and other needs. The estimated length of stay at the Coliseum ranges from weeks to months. The Grand Canyon Chapter of Red Cross is planning for the long haul, expecting some families to remain "for months," spokeswoman Jennifer Liewer said.

"In our disaster responsibilities efforts the Red Cross is always there until the last person in taken care off," Liewer said.

• Phoenix Elementary and Phoenix Union High School districts are preparing to open their doors to the arriving students on Tuesday. The schools will send buses to transport the children if needed and provide clothing, free breakfasts and lunches. Nurses and psychologists are available on every Phoenix Union campus, although the Central High campus would serve the Coliseum neighborhood, district spokesman Craig Pletenik said.

"We're not really worried about records," Pletenik said. "We know if they're needed, those will follow, but they are probably not accessible now."

Phoenix Elementary principals at all 16 schools are on call should they be needed over the weekend, and they have been directed to arrive early Tuesday to get instructions from district psychologists, Phoenix Elementary spokeswoman Sara Bresnahan.

"They will be ready with open arms to embrace these children," Bresnahan said.

• While it is Arizona's opportunity to shine, all agencies involved asked residents not to come to the Coliseum to volunteer or to drop off water, food or clothing. When a more organized distribution center is established, state officials may be calling for help with school supplies and for Arizona residents willing to shelter a family. There are plenty of ways to help, mostly by sending cash to Katrina relief efforts. Find the latest needs and opportunities to volunteer at www.az211.com.

In the meanwhile, 84 Phoenix firefighters rescued 100 New Orleans residents off rooftops Friday and another 300 today with the help of boats from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and the U.S. Coast Guard, Chief Bob Khan said. The Phoenix firefighters are tired and camped out of the ground north of New Orleans.

"My chief there said, 'If I could just have a mattress and an air conditioning unit with some electricity to run it, it would go a long way,' " Kahn said. The firefighters are due home late next week. "But they're making a difference, and that's the juice for those firefighters. The will keep them going for a few more days."

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Minnesota is slated to take 5000

I personally welcome the competition to our hmongs, somalis and central americans.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Denver is readying dorm rooms at the former Lowry AFB for some.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pussies.  I live in a town of 55,000 and we have more than that.  

Los Angeles is not exactly 20 miles away.

And don't forget the millions of illegals already in the state.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got an Email from the dean at school.  Seems as though Case Western Reserve Univ. law school could be getting 6-8 law students from tulane.  Doesn't seem like much, but there could be more coming to Cleveland, OH in general.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Minnesota is slated to take 5000

I personally welcome the competition to our hmongs, somalis and central americans.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Welcome your new Democrat voters with open arms!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Welcome your new Democrat voters with open arms!

No kidding.  The commie-lib governor of Illinois just got into the act by opening up some closed "public housing" to "refugees".

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

ETA:

So far it's

AR

AZ

CA

CO

GA

IA

MD?

MI

MN

NE

OH

OK

OR

PA

TN

TX

UT

Baltimore MD said it'll take 1,000
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#44]
NC

150 evacuees landed in Charlotte. The plane is one of three that is coming to the city today bringing around 400 people from the hurricane devestated areas.Any overflow of people in Charlotte will be sent to Greensboro.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#45]
They said on Fox that when refugees are offered to go to Utah, most refuse and want to go to another state.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I believe Saint Louis, Missouri is supposed to be getting around 2000.  They are putting a lot of them in what used to be a juvenile detention facility, doesn't sound like a bad idea from what I've been seeing on the news.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Have I missed any states?

New Mexico is bringing some in , I think about 6000.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
They said on Fox that when refugees are offered to go to Utah, most refuse and want to go to another state.

I'm sure folks in Utah are all broken up over it.

This says alot about the refugees as well, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Henderson KY has opened a shelter and already has families in it.

Add KY to the list, please.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Camp Ripley National Guard Training Facility in Minnesota 5000-10,000

GM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top